GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Alpha Epsilon
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,595
4 members and 1,591 guests
chi-o_cat, UVASquirrel, willTic, Zach

Old 03-11-2014, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM View Post
Interesting posting from SAE's ESA Cohen: March 9th

"To all those that think the SC is wrong, consider this. Thursday afternoon, we received notification from JP Morgan who handles millions of our dollars informing us they would no longer do business with SAE as a result of all they have seen and read in the past few months. . . .
JP Morgan Thursday afternoon, announcement Friday to take effect essentially immediately? Maybe I'm making more of it than it is, but that does seem to support my thought in an earlier post that the Supreme Council saw something big on the horizon and tried to act quickly to fend it off. I don't know . . . .

Regardless, I think others are right—the action taken isn't likely to work and it risks significant backlash and harm of a different kind to the fraternity.

SAEalumnus or SOM, I'm just curious: Is there a way to force a mid-term vote by the Convention, such as by petition of a certain percentage of members of the Convention or of chapters, or can a vote like that only called by the Supreme Council on its own initiative? Or are there other options available to bring this up before the 2015 Convention?
Old 03-11-2014, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
I think that his post is more infuriating. The manner that the program was announced and forced in is one of the main issues, and he also makes it abundantly clear that it's about money and covering their asses. That's not right. That's not what fraternities and sororities are primarily about. And again, ending pledging won't end hazing.
You may have a bit of a point. However when I first saw it my thought was along the line of cause and effect. The cause: All of the dumb, stupid, dangerous stuff being done "in the name of the Brotherhood/Sisterhood" that is getting onto the front pages. Effect-Well all the push back GLO's are now getting. And we do forget that Schools and GLO's (at a National level) are business. Business do not like issues, problems, bad press. Most of them do what they can to prevent or at the very least reduce those matters from happening. Because bad news, bad press hurts.

And this sort of stuff hurts us all. Hurts the other GLO's on campus, hurts the reputation of the GLO's Nationally, hurts all GLO's on every campus.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

SOM: I definitely agree. I just think his post makes him sound like an ass, and one that does not have the primary interests of the fraternity and its membership at heart. I agree that hazing is an issue and deaths associated with hazing and stories that end up on the front page harm us all, but I think also that a very high profile group eliminating pledging will potentially harm us all too. I just really don't believe that handing out a bid, and letting someone know ritual, 4 days later, is the answer. I would never want that for my organization.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
SOM: I definitely agree. I just think his post makes him sound like an ass, and one that does not have the primary interests of the fraternity and its membership at heart. I agree that hazing is an issue and deaths associated with hazing and stories that end up on the front page harm us all, but I think also that a very high profile group eliminating pledging will potentially harm us all too. I just really don't believe that handing out a bid, and letting someone know ritual, 4 days later, is the answer. I would never want that for my organization.
We maybe, currently, "high profile" for all the wrong reasons.

I am not all too comfortable with changes, with transitions. However I been though a few. We rushed dry long before many did. We rushed the week before Freshmen Orientation and when that changed we thought Greek Life was over as we knew it. We lost Little Sisters of Minerva from which I got one of my closest, dearest friends and second family. At some point, we lost kegs. And we lost the House, The Charter. And five long years because the people their lost their way. No leadership, no management, no real Brotherhood of the kind we had when I was there. Just a bunch of fools thinking, making believe that they were The Chapter, A Fraternity. My Chapter, My Fraternity.

In my prior post I said that Schools and Nationals are businesses. Well, so are The Chapters. They have budgets. They have costs/expenses. They have income. Some of the income comes from dues, fund raising and if lucky some Alumnus. So they need leadership, management, rules and procedures like any other business.

And if any of those fail, people will take notice. Some of those Alums may not care to be so close, so connected, so giving.

Which may come to be a rather big shock to the undergrads who think they are well heeled, well funded, and so well supported that they are better, smarter than their School and National.

I am not at all too sure how all of this is going to work out, play out.

I know that there will be problems, issues, conflicts as this change rolls out and is implemented. Perhaps modified by cool, understanding heads. That happens to all changes. And yes, the very means can be examined. However, as matters stand right now, we have to make changes. And I hope that all of this does get worked out so we are all in a much better place at the end.

And yes, I did have a brief exchange with Brother Cohen over this. He thanked me.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

SAE Fraternity Continues to Grapple with Pledging Ban http://www.brobible.com/college/arti...-pledging-ban/
Old 03-13-2014, 12:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
SAEalumnus - semi touchy question (shock). Are the guys on the Supreme Council from chapters that do everything by HQ's book, chapters that might not follow all the rules explicitly but pull huge numbers, or a mix of both? I know we all have those "chapters that can do no wrong" and wondered if they were coming from that vantage point.
33: I finally had the chance to research this in more detail. Generally speaking, our Supreme Council consists of an Eminent Supreme Archon ("fraternity president"), Eminent Supreme Deputy Archon ("fraternity vice president"), Eminent Supreme Warden (for all intents and purposes, 'fraternity treasurer,' though not officially designated as such), Eminent Supreme Herald and Eminent Supreme Chronicler (both national directors, generally). Our national officers and their chapters' risk management histories are as follows:

ESA Brad Cohen - Arizona Alpha - University of Arizona
  • Dry Chapter
  • 2009: University Probation/ Violation of University Rules of relating to alcohol policies during a fall 2009 social event. University imposed 1 year probation through fall 2010.
  • 2010: University Probation/ Violation of University hazing rules during fall 2010. SAE approved Alumni Commission and membership review. 1 year University probation through fall 2011.
  • 2012: University Probation for hosting unregistered events and violations of university alcohol policies. Probation runs until Dec. 16, 2012.

ESDA Steve Churchill - Iowa Gamma - Iowa State University
  • Dry Chapter
  • 2011: University Deferred Suspension and Social Probation/ Hazing and alcohol related policy violations during the fall 2011 semester. Both Deferred Suspension and Social Probation run through spring 2013 semester.

ESW Tom Dement - Tennessee Beta - Middle Tennessee State
  • 2011: University Social Probation & Fraternity Alumni Commission/ The chapter violated alcohol policies and failed a house inspection during summer 2011. University Social Probation through May 2012, Loss of recruitment and intramurals through December 2011 . SAE approved Alumni Commission.
  • 2012: University Disciplinary Probation/ Violated University and Fraternity Risk Management policies related to alcohol and event during the spring 2012 semester. Placed on Disciplinary Probation by University through August 31, 2013.
  • 2013: The chapter Alumni Commission moved to surrender the charter following health-and-safety violations associated with hazing and alcohol during the fall 2013 semester. The chapter charter shall remain suspended until the summer of 2016.
  • CHAPTER IS CLOSED

ESH Greg Brandt - Iowa Delta - Drake University
  • In good standing, no risk management history.

ESC Mike Corelli - Illinois Gamma - Northern Illinois University
  • 2011: University Probation/ Unregistered social event/noise violation during October 2011. Placed on university probation until October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
SAEalumnus or SOM, I'm just curious: Is there a way to force a mid-term vote by the Convention, such as by petition of a certain percentage of members of the Convention or of chapters, or can a vote like that only called by the Supreme Council on its own initiative? Or are there other options available to bring this up before the 2015 Convention?
There is; it provides that the national president, with the advice and consent of the national officers, can send out a direct mail ballot. Unfortunately, these are the same people who unilaterally forced this on us, so they're unlikely to agree to do so. There does not presently exist any other means of accomplishing this, though I suspect some proposal(s) to amend the national laws to this effect may well be submitted. I'm afraid we're stuck with this new program at least until mid-2015, whether we like it or not.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:42 AM
Banned

So, just thinking, if under this program, is there a difference in the eyes of the insurance companies and policies between "pledges" and "brothers"?
I mean, if something happens to a pledge are there different circumstances to lawsuits and insurance claims as opposed to "members or brothers"?

This also reminds of the when the FreeMasons began doing One Day Inititiations in some states. Usually when someone joined the Masons, you'd have a three month period to become raised to the third degree, not in some states this can be done in a one day class. I know there are and were a lot of members not happy with this either.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Fraternity Chief Feared for Son as Hazings Spurred JPMorgan Snub http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...rgan-snub.html
Old 03-27-2014, 11:12 AM
Banned

"Family considerations also motivated Cohen. He wanted to protect his older son, Devon, a high school freshman who is determined to join SAE in college. Devon wears bow ties in purple and gold -- SAE’s colors -- and knows its secret handshake.
“I don’t want him to be scarred mentally from hazing,” said Brad Cohen, relaxing with his family in their home near Los Angeles. “I don’t want him to want to join SAE so badly that he’ll do anything he’s told.”"

Umm....doesn't that sort of break the rules?
Old 03-27-2014, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know how old your ESA is, but I can say that there is no such thing as a "dry fraternity chapter" at the University of Arizona. Fellow UofA posters, correct me if I'm wrong. Here are some links:

http://os_extranet_files_test.s3.ama...rtFall2013.pdf scroll down to page six for the latest on SAE.

http://os_extranet_files_test.s3.ama...rtFall2013.pdf this has links to chapter judicial histories for both fraternities and sororities.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 03-27-2014, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgeguy View Post
"Family considerations also motivated Cohen. He wanted to protect his older son, Devon, a high school freshman who is determined to join SAE in college. Devon wears bow ties in purple and gold -- SAE’s colors -- and knows its secret handshake.
“I don’t want him to be scarred mentally from hazing,” said Brad Cohen, relaxing with his family in their home near Los Angeles. “I don’t want him to want to join SAE so badly that he’ll do anything he’s told.”"

Umm....doesn't that sort of break the rules?
No-not really in the overall scope of matters of importance. Heck my now 89 year old Mom years ago, out of the blue, gave me most of our Pledge grip. She, way back in the day, dated a Brother while in College.
And while it does not say so in the article, it is the Pledge grip that is involved here.

And his comments about his son doing what ever it takes, no matter what is happening to him, is rather sadly part of the very heart of the whole issue of hazing/RM violations.

Last edited by SOM; 03-27-2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Leader of One of America's Largest Fraternities Moves to End the 'Cancer' of Hazing: Brad Cohen is the current leader of one of the nation's oldest and largest fraternities. SAE has 240 chapters nationwide with over 14,000 members. Last month Cohen announced an abrupt end to one of the best known fraternity traditions, the pledge process prior to becoming a member. His goal is to stop the "cancer" of hazing.
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-C...ncer-of-Hazing
Old 04-21-2014, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, your ESA really has some tact. Comparing hazing first to apartheid and now to cancer....
Old 04-21-2014, 06:21 PM
Banned

There are three definitions of "cancer", one definition is "something bad or dangerous that causes other bad things to happen." (Merriam Webster)

I did not read his comparison to apartheid but, if he kept the "a" lowercase, "apartheid" can be used in reference to any form of "separation, segregation--examples: cultural apartheid; gender apartheid". (Merriam Webster)

/lane swerve

Last edited by DrPhil; 04-21-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
There are three definitions of "cancer", one definition is "something bad or dangerous that causes other bad things to happen." (Merriam Webster)

I did not read his comparison to apartheid but, if he kept the "a" lowercase, "apartheid" can be used in reference to any form of "separation, segregation--examples: cultural apartheid; gender apartheid". (Merriam Webster)

/lane swerve
Brother Cohen has some personal knowledge:
South Africa

Cohen is also SAE’s first foreign-born leader, and speaks in the lilting accent of his native South Africa. His late father, Desmond Vernon Cohen, was an obstetrician-gynecologist, as well as a swimmer and water polo player on two South African Olympic teams.
Fearing racial strife over the government’s apartheid policy, the family left South Africa in the late 1970s when Cohen was 16. When he announced the pledging ban, Cohen compared the treatment of new members as “second-class citizens” to the abuse of blacks under apartheid.

Unusual Background

In many ways, Cohen has an unusual background for an SAE leader. He’s the first Jewish president of SAE, which used to limit membership to “members of the Caucasian race” without a parent who was a “full-blooded Jew,” according to a 1903 book of rituals.
Holding the black volume aloft, Cohen read that passage to his audience at the University of La Verne. When SAE renounced racism and anti-Semitism in 1952, he reminded the crowd, it faced the same complaints that change would ruin the fraternity that traditionalists now make about the pledging ban.

From: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...rgan-snub.html

Which is rather an interesting read as is the other link above-reposted here for ease: http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-C...ncer-of-Hazing

And Sigma Alpha Epsilon does not seem to be on its own-besides what is writen within those two articles, there are these two: Fraternity Leadership Group Calls for an End to Hazing-With college frats facing ongoing criticism over alcohol abuse, sexual assaults, and even the hazing deaths of pledges, the North-American Interfraternity Conference is creating independent panels to address these issues and generate solutions....
The days of serious fraternity hazing—a college Greek life tradition that in some cases has led to tragedy in recent years—could be numbered.

That’s because a fraternity association is taking steps to rein in the practice, and perhaps end it for good.
The North-American Interfraternity Conference (NIC), which represents 75 fraternities worldwide, has announced an effort to research ways to stop harmful activities often associated with the campus groups, including alcohol abuse, sexual assault, and hazing. http://associationsnow.com/2014/04/fraternity-leadership-group-calls-end-hazing/

The Time is Now to Preserve the Future of Fraternities. By NIC President & CEO Pete Smithhisler.

In recent months, it's become increasingly fashionable for media and others to denigrate the college fraternity experience as little more than an organized excuse to misbehave.
Since last summer, I've spent countless hours on the phone with a variety of journalists, many of whom have seemed predisposed to disparaging the fraternity movement. Some have gone as far as to suggest fraternities should cease to exist.
Their sentiment is fueled by unfortunate (and inexcusable) cases of students getting into trouble or - worse - hurting themselves or others because they acted irresponsibly or even illegally while participating in a fraternity-sponsored program or event.
While isolated, these cases nevertheless significantly overshadow all the good done by fraternities and their members today. For example, too few people are aware that:....

http://bit.ly/1jbArVX

Last edited by SOM; 04-21-2014 at 11:43 PM.