GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,355
0 members and 1,355 guests
No Members online

Old 11-20-2002, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to aprilxo Send a message via Yahoo to aprilxo
Wal-Mart is a business. If you can't do the hours, you can't do the hours. But that is a way that Wal-Mart has changed over the years as it has grown into the huge corporation that it is--businesses are like machines. Would you put a part in your car that would only be able to work during certain times? I'm not some stupid kid who thinks that Wal-Mart made money by handing out teddy bears. But on another note, I never said that I think Wal-Mart is STILL good about being family oriented--I said that Sam Walton had originally tried to instill that in his company and that Wal-Mart still tries to put it in their commercials. Even if they aren't the warm-n-fuzzy posterchild, there are still elements of being family oriented, and I'm not going to change my mind on that based on isolated incidents of people getting the shaft. Wal-Mart uses real people in their clothing ads. Wal-Mart has big fundraisers for Children's Miracle Network. Wal-Mart matches funds to your kids' schools so they can go on special trips or do some kind of project. On the other hand, Wal-Mart "encouraged" my dad to transfer stores (read: "we'll fire you if you don't move") when his inventory was bad for two years in a row--doesn't matter that he can't control ever tiny detail in the store responsible for shrinkage. And gee, it's okay that he always had to work on holidays and I hardly got to see him because he worked 60+ hours a week--at least Wal-Mart closes on Christmas (it's the only day they close throughout the entire year). There are tons of stories out there. Is anybody counting positive per negative? I'm pretty sure there's no universal tally, so it's not going to be solved here, right? THAT is what I began commenting on...

My personal irritation only stems from the fact that people bash Wal-Mart constantly and then shop there. People don't bash name brand stores, it's the cheaper retailers that most often get the shit thrown at them, and it's always for trying to do their jobs. I was not saying people "suck" because they do not share my view about Wal-Mart. *Originally,* if you read my post, what I was commenting on were the following: the fact that people were appearing so materialistic about where they get their jewelry; that I thought it was somewhat offensive that they bash jewelry from Wal-Mart when a gift that I treasure had come from there; and that if they really went to those extremes in their behavior over where gifts of jewelry came from that I was disgusted by it. I think it hardly "uncouth" to be appalled by a condescending attitude.
Old 11-20-2002, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to aprilxo Send a message via Yahoo to aprilxo
And I KNOW it sounds like all I'm doing is defending Wal-Mart, but I am not on the defensive--after reading others' experiences, I'm trying to share the differing encounter with W*M I have had. Note that I have many negative things to say about Wal-Mart too

I worked at Wal-Mart and I was not treated like $hit. I was treated pretty well; they were understanding when I needed days off. I had input as to how I thought things should be done and I had a great degree of freedom in setting up my department's displays and merchandise (even as a regular joe floor employee). And others had the same options, so it's not just because I was a manager's kid (and blood relations are not allowed to work where one is supervisor over another so I was not even at my dad's store). I also know that my dad is really good with his employees--he respects them, listens to them, will work alongside them in the aisle. He walks around to see how his store is actually running--Wal-Mart needs more people like that, but he's from that older generation of managers. Things have changed, I've always admitted that--it takes a LOT more work to achieve the same kind of personal relations in the supercenters than it did in the days of the small Wal-Mart stores dedicated to general merchandise. Hence, it often just doesn't get done.

I mean, even though my dad has had times when he was pushed around or not treated fairly, he has had many more positive and supportive experiences. *shrug*

(by the way, for a little trivia--they changed the dash to a star to commemorate Sam Walton... it's still called a squiggly in the good ol' Wal*Mart cheer)
Old 11-20-2002, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aprilxo
I think it hardly "uncouth" to be appalled by a condescending attitude.
No, but it is quite "uncouth" to say:

Quote:
Originally posted by aprilxo
You people all suck

And I agree that if you can't do the time you shouldn't take the job. But requiring three of four weekends a month in the office seems to fly in the face of any "family orientation".

Last edited by KillarneyRose; 11-20-2002 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-20-2002, 02:48 PM

Well, I bash Wal-Mart constantly, and I DON'T shop there. As far as my dad is concerned, it is the only place in his town to get certain items - the main reason a lot of people bash it and then shop there, they have no choice. Wal-Mart has driven everything else away.

I think the main problem a lot of people are talking about is that Wal-Mart tries to put across this down-home, loving, caring just plain family folks image, and it does not jibe with how they run their business. I'm not saying other large chains are like that either, but they don't go around presenting that image.
Old 11-20-2002, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Why take Microsoft to antitrust court when WalMart deserves it more than anyone?

They're very blatant about it... I recall a few years back the CEO came to my town for the opening of a new supercenter... He was touring one of the competing independent grocery stores.. He and his team were kicked out by the owner. He proceeded to open up 2 neighborhood markets within 2 miles of this grocery store. The supercenter was already 2 miles to the south.

It has been PROVEN in court that they priced things below cost at both of these branches. In an effort to put the independent out of business? It's still in court.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-20-2002, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

OMG Carnation! I think "heffa" is the funniest word I have heard in a long time. May I have permission to add it to my repetoire?

Lizz
Old 11-20-2002, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Soapbox time!

Tomorrow is the big "National Day of Action" against Wal*Mart. Where I live, they're sending shuttles to the local Wal*Mart, where the Union (United Food and Commercial Workers) will give each participant $10 dollars to buy something for the local women's shelter. Because Wal-Mart won't let employees unionize (and present lots of anti-Union propaganda), the "customers" will talk to the employees about unionizing.

That aside, Wal*Mart destroys towns.

Always low prices? Almost low wages is more like it.

The commercials suck...I would be afraid for my Wal*Mart engagement ring to turn my finger green, so I wouldn't wear it. Mr. Munchkin03 wouldn't even JOKE about that mess, so I'm safe...;-)
Old 11-20-2002, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by tinydancer
OMG Carnation! I think "heffa" is the funniest word I have heard in a long time. May I have permission to add it to my repetoire?

Lizz

Thank you! That word is real big at the nearest high school!

My own kids are great at acting out the scene at the end where she leans into the camera, flashing her teeth. ...my husband has lots to say about her lack of a life since she apparently lives to cook for The Band.
Old 11-20-2002, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you all think it's possible that Wal-Mart's concept for their commercials is flying right over our collective heads?

I just watched the Old Navy commercial with the "Green Acres" theme where Morgan Fairchild plays the Zsa Zsa Gabor character and it's obvious that everyone in the commercial sees how cheesy it is but that's okay, they're having a ball with it. Old Navy's commercials all seem to have that premise; outlandishly tacky, but fun.

Maybe Wal-Mart uses the people they do for their commercials because they're trying to poke fun at their own redneck, illiterate, backward, sibling-marrying, mom-carries-on-with-the-tuba-section image?
Old 11-20-2002, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose

I just watched the Old Navy commercial with the "Green Acres" theme where Morgan Fairchild plays the Zsa Zsa Gabor character
That was EVA Gabor, not Zsa Zsa
Old 11-20-2002, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Are you sure? Which one slapped the policeman in Beverly Hills?
Old 11-20-2002, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Zsa Zsa slapped the Piggie, but it was her sister Eva on Green Acres. I remember because I saw the story of when eva died, they said she was the one on the show
Old 11-20-2002, 11:40 PM

Zsa Zsa slapped the cop and was married about 42 times. Eva was on "Green Acres" and dated Merv Griffin. Eva is dead but I think Zsa Zsa is still alive.

Oh, and they would probably both be offended that they are sharing a thread with a discount store, hee hee.

No Tracy...I know sarcasm...I eat, sleep, live and breathe it. The Wal-Mart commercials are devoid of sarcasm. They are utterly and completely sincere in thinking that obnoxious singing woman is cuter than baby gophers and will make us want to shop there.
Old 11-21-2002, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose
Maybe Wal-Mart uses the people they do for their commercials because they're trying to poke fun at their own redneck, illiterate, backward, sibling-marrying, mom-carries-on-with-the-tuba-section image?
Good thought, but I'd have to disagree. They'd have to push the envelope a little farther to enter the sarcasm sphere. Not only that, but I'd say the bulk of Wal-Mart's target demographic doesn't find ironic, sarcastic humor as funny as, say, slapstick. (DO NOT FLAME ME if you are a Wal-Mart customer and DO like sarcasm...chances are you are the exception to the rule!) They've got to play to their market.