GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,318
0 members and 1,318 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I'm not mad, at least I got some cool flying monkeys out of this.
is that a subtle hint to send one in your direction ? I have a variety to select from...
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 07-02-2010, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
GatorKate did not accept the bid to the second choice. She was so consumed by the rejection of her first choice that she failed to see that she DID get her second choice, which she had felt almost equally pulled toward.

GatorKate, hate to break it to you, but your first choice chapter just didn't want you bad enough. That's what it boils down to. Chapters have to turn in their bid lists before Preference round, so their decision about you had already been made by the time you made your comment at Preference. Though the two girls who rushed you really liked you, the decision isn't only up to them. It comes down to where on the list the chapter as a whole puts you, and unfortunately for you they matched with women on their bid list before they got to your name.

If you didn't want your second choice, you shouldn't have listed them on your bid card. There might have been a woman who wanted that chapter as badly as you wanted the other one, but by agreeing to accept a bid from them, you robbed her of that opportunity. Let this be a lesson to you that you should be grateful for the things you get in life. To quote Sharyl Crow, "It's not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got!"
We actually turn our bid list in AFTER preference round on our campus. That was how I thought it worked on most campuses? In fact, there are some Chapters on our campus who are up almost all night doing them.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOrushadvisor View Post
We actually turn our bid list in AFTER preference round on our campus. That was how I thought it worked on most campuses? In fact, there are some Chapters on our campus who are up almost all night doing them.
Yeah, that's what I thought too. Turning in bid lists before pref would kind of, well, make pref pointless - and it certainly hardly ever is, for the rushees or the sorority members. It's responsible for a lot of turnarounds.

Methinks this is a very splashy thread!

GatorKate, your posts would have made more sense if you would have started "I'm in a chapter I love now, but I just wanted to vent about something that happened the first time I went through rush." People WILL search on all your posts if you're a newbie to find holes in your story.

FWIW, I still wonder if the group I preffed second gave me a bid. Does that mean I wish I would have put them first? No, not at all. I'm just curious.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, my first day back on GC in a while and I get this? What a present! I feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOrushadvisor View Post
I've never heard of turning it in before pref either, but as we all know, every campus is different. I would wonder how that would work - Peppy?
Old 07-02-2010, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

OMG...after scanning the trainwreck that is the sequined panty hose twin recruitment thread, I think our recent run of trolls is all the same person..."recruitment."

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 07-02-2010, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I've never heard of turning it in before pref either, but as we all know, every campus is different. I would wonder how that would work - Peppy?
If the bid list is submitted before pref, then everyone at pref would be on the bid list somewhere, just not necessarily guaranteed to match depending on where they are on the list.

I would think it would work at campuses with fewer pref parties, maybe two or three. But I honestly can't recall when ours were submitted, nor am I sure at what point it comes down to discussing MS.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

My feeling is: Forget the OP. She may/may not be a troll. But I suspect that more than one pnm has felt that there was a mistake in the bid that they received, or an invitation to a round NOT received. And that should/could be addressed.

There may be cases, one in 10,000, where a computer input (I hope that I am using the correct words here.) is wrong. But I suspect that this is caught before damage is done. I KNOW that when my D went through last year every round bid distribution of invitations were late because Panhellenic received invitations late, bid lists late and/or were checking results again.

Why? Probably because EVEYONE was checking/rechecking for accuracy.

So many women (and moms) who post recruitment stories say, "I had the BEST time at Alpha Alpha Poop Poop!!! And then they dropped me! They even said, "I'll see you tomorrow!!!" What gives?"

Please move on. Recruitment is like that. Surprises, good and bad happen. If you take it so seriously that you don't sleep, cry for weeks, and constantly replay what happened PLEASE go to the Student Health Center. (I am assuming that the Rho Chi talked with you at length. I am assuming that you talked with your floormates/roommates/mom/aunts first. But if the depression, anxiety, or really "off" feelings persist: talk to a professional.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebud View Post
"I had the BEST time at Alpha Alpha Poop Poop!!! And then they dropped me!
LOL, I'm sure that isn't the only thing they dropped. BWWWAHHHHHHH
Old 07-02-2010, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
If the bid list is submitted before pref, then everyone at pref would be on the bid list somewhere, just not necessarily guaranteed to match depending on where they are on the list.

I would think it would work at campuses with fewer pref parties, maybe two or three. But I honestly can't recall when ours were submitted, nor am I sure at what point it comes down to discussing MS.

In the campuses where I've worked, it was understood that if you were invited to pref you were wanted - the question was, how badly? (And those campuses all had a max. of 2 pref parties) I don't think it's getting down to MS, since all chapters turn in their lists at the same time - membership selection would concern how they determine who is on their first and who is on their second bid lists. Of course, this was back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and we had to do hand bid matching - THE HORROR! THE HORROR!
Old 07-02-2010, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
Of course, this was back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and we had to do hand bid matching - THE HORROR! THE HORROR!
That sure took a ton of time and the bad thing was that then numerous people were running around town and/or campus who knew where every girl had stood on the bid lists and how each rushee had ranked her preffed groups. Too bad that we couldn't have brought in strangers who were unaffiliated with any of the groups.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorKate View Post
Wow. I rest my case your honor.
Perhaps I should have made it clear that this was two years ago, and I rushed again as a sophmore, received a bid and am now an active member. I was dropped by both the houses mentioned after the first round, understandably. I AM happy where I am, but I have always wondered what if. Not because i don't love my sisters and my house now, but because I have always been an over acheiver who gets what they want. I know that's not how life works, I get it, they didn't want me, etc., etc. but it was my first real experience with this type of disappointment and it still bothers me, especially since I see this house and the girls every single day. Maybe you guys think that's pathetic, and I agree that it is in a way, and I'm embarrassed about it, which is why i can't talk to anyone about it, which is why I posted here. And I have been beating myself up about this for almost two years now, but not nearly as much as you guys just beat me up!
How does that song go?
Oh yeah...

http://tinyurl.com/28bw37d

Old 07-02-2010, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Lordy.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebud View Post
My feeling is: Forget the OP. She may/may not be a troll. But I suspect that more than one pnm has felt that there was a mistake in the bid that they received, or an invitation to a round NOT received. And that should/could be addressed.

There may be cases, one in 10,000, where a computer input (I hope that I am using the correct words here.) is wrong. But I suspect that this is caught before damage is done. I KNOW that when my D went through last year every round bid distribution of invitations were late because Panhellenic received invitations late, bid lists late and/or were checking results again.

Why? Probably because EVEYONE was checking/rechecking for accuracy.

So many women (and moms) who post recruitment stories say, "I had the BEST time at Alpha Alpha Poop Poop!!! And then they dropped me! They even said, "I'll see you tomorrow!!!" What gives?"

Please move on. Recruitment is like that. Surprises, good and bad happen. If you take it so seriously that you don't sleep, cry for weeks, and constantly replay what happened PLEASE go to the Student Health Center. (I am assuming that the Rho Chi talked with you at length. I am assuming that you talked with your floormates/roommates/mom/aunts first. But if the depression, anxiety, or really "off" feelings persist: talk to a professional.
And the truth is we tell everyone at pref how much we want them. Because we do. They wouldn't be at pref if we didn't think they'd be a good member. The point of pref is to seal the deal and make all of those pnms want you. The only problem is that we want some girls more than others and if they want us as much, then another girl isn't going to get a bid from us.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie's_Rush View Post
And the truth is we tell everyone at pref how much we want them. Because we do. They wouldn't be at pref if we didn't think they'd be a good member. The point of pref is to seal the deal and make all of those pnms want you. The only problem is that we want some girls more than others and if they want us as much, then another girl isn't going to get a bid from us.
Basically this. Not getting the bid after pref doesn't mean we hate you, it doesn't mean we lied to you, it (almost certainly) means that we hit quota before matching got to you on our list.

(The more I think about it, the more I think we did submit our list before pref on our campus.)
Closed Thread