» Online Users: 1,316
2 members and 1,314 guests
PhoenixAttain

Old 06-25-2013, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillarneyRose View Post
Wouldn't the people in the household who are of voting age be eligible for their own public assistance? Or is only one head of household allowed? Thanks for the answer, by the way!
The head of household gets money based on the number of people in the household, so basically, multiple people can get benefits with only one ID.

Last edited by DeltaBetaBaby; 06-25-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

A state ID is most definitely the way to go. Nobody has a fake ID. Oh wait...
Old 06-26-2013, 04:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
A state ID is most definitely the way to go. Nobody has a fake ID. Oh wait...
Or changes their address and fails to update all of their personal ID . . .
Old 06-26-2013, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
Or changes their address and fails to update all of their personal ID . . .
In Illinois, as long as you tell the SoS that you have changed your address, you can have an old address on your ID for years. I think you can renew a license twice in a row by mail, so you only get a new card every 12 years.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
In Illinois, as long as you tell the SoS that you have changed your address, you can have an old address on your ID for years. I think you can renew a license twice in a row by mail, so you only get a new card every 12 years.
In Michigan you can do that, but you get a sticker for the back of the ID with the new information. (But ours is 8 years max for a new card- our renewals are every four years).
Old 06-26-2013, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Many people don't have ID's. Obtaining them takes time and money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
I was required to go to the state capital. Everybody born in my county after a certain time period had to. They couldn't trust the records in the county records.
Yup, Detroit is the same way. I'm close to the cutoff between being able to go to Detroit to get a new copy versus having to trek to Lansing. Which creates one hell of an obstacle for Detroit born people who don't have the resources to make that trek.

ETA: Or someone like me who lived in another state as a resident there for a few years. God forbid I was a little poorer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Thing is, my meth moms, black/latino/whatever etc., are capable of obtaining proper identification. Seriously, if these folks can do it, so can anyone in the world. I'm simply stating that obtaining proper ID, at least in Oklahoma, where all 77 counties have twice voted against Obama, where we have voter ID laws, it's not difficult to get an ID.

Yes, if you lose your birth certificate, you're going to have to jump through some hoops, but if you can make a photocopy of some acceptable form of ID, (bank records and utility records can work), you'll be fine. This can all be done by mail.

But responsible adults keep copies of these things. I don't care what your culture or race is. Stupid is not a culture or race. Speaking from experience, it knows no cultural or racial barriers.
But then I think of a place like Michigan where the major reason why the state swings blue is because of Metro Detroit. There are plenty of people in the city of Detroit (I'm not even going to touch Flint, Pontiac, or any other areas right now) who don't have the money or the time to get a valid state ID. There are organizations who raise money in order to travel around the area and transport people to Secretary of State offices, pay for their ID, assist them in registering to vote, and transport them to voting sites. But they can't reach everyone. And this is just Detroit. Imagine these much more out of touch places in the country. I just feel that this VRA decision is just the beginning of something bigger. Once these barriers start popping up for impoverished populations, suddenly the state is swinging red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I spoke with someone earlier who was saying the VRA was not gotten rid of completely, changes were made, so what is all the big fuss. I explained that small changes lead to big changes. We know the routine and we know the game. It happens in all aspects of life where people follow the "slow but steady wins the race" routine. Let us not act brand new.
THIS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Section 5 requires some jurisdictions to get federal approval of changes in laws that have to do with voting. For now, Section 5 has no teeth, because the formula for which jurisdictions are subject to it has been struck down. Congress would have to come up with a new (and presumably acceptable) formula for Section 5 to come into play again.
THIS THIS THIS

ETA: I forgot to make mention of my transgender brothers and sisters as well. They already have problems being turned away from the polls because they don't look like the picture on their ID. This definitely isn't a step forward in their movement.

Last edited by pshsx1; 06-26-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I just got a new Driver's License and I had updated my personal info when we moved (3 years ago). I now have my current address on it, and will probably be moving this summer.