2 members and 1,057 guests
IllyPolly, John

Old 05-11-2008, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

yes, thats exactly what I'm doing.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDelt View Post
state a special interest in our constitution, like music, or biology; however, we want to be open to any student who wants to join, so long as they are interested in service.
IMO this is the most problematic thing and I think that GammaDelt's group is probably RIGHT to stay independent of the school - nothing to do with the going dry, the advisors, etc etc etc.

They can't just be "Gamma Delta Pi, a social and service sorority helping the community and its members." They would have to be "Gamma Delta Pi, a sorority for students in the music education field" or "a sorority to promote the study and appreciation of organic chemistry" or something of the like. And from what she's said it sounds like the school would keep tabs - "you're the chemistry sorority, why do you have all these English majors in your group?"

They want to be a general social/service sorority, uniting people from ALL disciplines, and aren't allowed to be, with the dictates the school has set down.

It seems like the school is promoting Greek groups only as something for your resume - i.e. I was in the music sorority, I was in the biology sorority etc. With that mindset coming from the top down, it's no wonder people don't see the point of joining a sorority solely for friendship and service.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^^ Pardon the crash -- I know this is about sorority recruitment -- but just to try to think this through a little.

GammaDelt says that they are required to have a "special interest." Seems to me this isn't necessarily as restrictive as being limited to certain majors. I'm a member of the all-male fraternity with a chapter on her campus. (I won't go into the "club" discussion, but I will say that our Delta chapter at her school was founded in 1901 and is our oldest continually active chapter. I'm guessing, then, that they have a keen sense of our traditions as well as our probationary member and initiation requirements.)

We really do only require an interest; there's no requirement that one be a music major. (At least there's not one nationally; I suppose there could be a chapter practice of only initiating music majors or minors.) I've known of chapters with no music majors. So it seems like it might at least be worth exploring whether service would be a sufficient interest, especially if not being recognized hinders their recruitment.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
We really do only require an interest; there's no requirement that one be a music major. (At least there's not one nationally; I suppose there could be a chapter practice of only initiating music majors or minors.) I've known of chapters with no music majors. So it seems like it might at least be worth exploring whether service would be a sufficient interest, especially if not being recognized hinders their recruitment.
But the point is they shouldn't have to lie and say their interest is this or that when it's not, just to be recognized. They are a general social/service sorority.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
But the point is they shouldn't have to lie and say their interest is this or that when it's not, just to be recognized. They are a general social/service sorority.
No argument that they shouldn't have to lie. I took her earlier email to say that they do have an interest in service and expect new members to have an interest in service. I just figured that it's worth asking whether that is sufficient for recognition rather than assuming it isn't.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Gamma Delta,
Have you considered looking at some concrete ways to volunteer? In addition to coordinating service opps at least a semester in advance, as KSU said, you should also see who needs what. Maybe you all could adopt an elementary school in need. Or, start up an after-school tutoring program. Pick one or two ways to focus your service and stick with 'em. And no, you don't have to volunteer in schools.

Also, do Gamma Delta Pis wear their letters a lot? Maybe make themselves seen a bit more. Or even your official colors. Something to show your sorority's pride. Maybe take out an ad in the school paper- Gamma Delta Pi wishes everyone good luck on their finals.