GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,460
1 members and 1,459 guests
IllyPolly

Old 04-12-2011, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ It was the normal term at NJIT. I was surprised when others never heard it used in a NIC context.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Lots of NIC and NPC chapters in NJ and I think around NYC have appropriated the word "crossing."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
^^^ It was the normal term at NJIT. I was surprised when others never heard it used in a NIC context.
Interesting, and thanks for filling me in. I have heard it in non-NPHC contexts before, but I'd never in an NIC/NPC context.

Does the fact that I've learned something mean I can slack off for the rest of the day now? Please?
Old 04-12-2011, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Like many people have been saying, size is not the most important thing. From personal experience my chapter started out with 75 or so members. However, we found a problem in getting committment from many of the members. We had a good 25-40 that would be dedicated and the rest would show up from time to time. I think one thing you must take out of your experience so far pledging would be this observation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abitworried View Post

I will say that the morale of the fraternity is very high though. Almost every active was at every rush event and the bid party they hosted for us was a blast..
If everyone of the chapter goes to the events, you enjoy their company, and can see a prosperous future, you are in the right place. Quality should always take precedence over quantity...

Intern @ www.4-greeks.com

To Blog with us about your chapter, email me at jordan@4-greeks.com
Old 04-12-2011, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
12 pledges is an awesome number if the group has 23 actives. And you know what? If the chapter has had problems in the past with numbers, it only takes one great pledge class to turn it around. The OP may very well be part of that pledge class.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Does the fact that I've learned something mean I can slack off for the rest of the day now? Please?
Pshh...do you really expect GC to give you a day off from your crusade for truth and justice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc@4greeks View Post
Quality should always take precedence over quantity...
Quality and quantity are not mutually exclusive. This statement is a slippery slope, and under-performing chapters often use it to defend their under-performance.

Last edited by Gusteau; 04-12-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree that they aren't mutually exclusive, but if they're under-performing, it's likely that they're not getting quality guys.

/black sheep

Old 04-12-2011, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
I agree that they aren't mutually exclusive, but if they're under-performing, it's likely that they're not getting quality guys.

/black sheep
That's absolute truth.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc@4greeks View Post
Like many people have been saying, size is not the most important thing. From personal experience my chapter started out with 75 or so members. However, we found a problem in getting committment from many of the members. We had a good 25-40 that would be dedicated and the rest would show up from time to time. I think one thing you must take out of your experience so far pledging would be this observation:

If everyone of the chapter goes to the events, you enjoy their company, and can see a prosperous future, you are in the right place. Quality should always take precedence over quantity...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
Quality and quantity are not mutually exclusive. This statement is a slippery slope, and under-performing chapters often use it to defend their under-performance.
I believe he is simply saying that you're better off with 20 guys who are completely committed, than 60 guys, half of which don't seem to care.

Which, again, is why dnall needs to step away from the keyboard.

@~/~~~~
Old 04-12-2011, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
One of our alumni, a recruitment volunteer, has told us the exact same thing! Dont' let the old crew trick you into this mindset OP, I forgot your tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post

/black sheep
Think about this being reflected i.e., in Rush...we had 1 come through fall rush last year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
12 pledges is an awesome number if the group has 23 actives. And you know what? If the chapter has had problems in the past with numbers, it only takes one great pledge class to turn it around. The OP may very well be part of that pledge class.
This. It's up to you, OP If you have genuine affection for the people in your fraternity, and dedicate yourselves to your ideals and improving your chapter you'll be part of the solution. You just have to let other's knwo your thoughts. There's nothing better than knowing you succeeded and nothing worse than knowing you could have tried harder.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:12 PM

I think the way "quality not quantity" got started was with some chapters who took anything with a pulse. Which some did and still do. But you don't get to use it if you were dying to get Susie or Freddy or whoever and they pledged another GLO - i.e. don't use it as sour grapes.

That being said, unless you have a large physical plant to maintain, IMO there is not a damn thing wrong with purposely saying you don't want to get over x number of members. Different strokes for different folks. Some people can't shine in a larger chapter that would be superstars in a smaller one. One size does not fit all.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quality versus quantity is not even the discussion. Of course they need to take quality prospects and turn them into committed members with whom they can maintain satisfaction over a long period of time.

In no way at any point have I said you need to take a crap load of guys so you'll have some money and who cares if they're committed of not. That's ridiculous.

20 committed guys IS better than 60 non-committed guys. But, what those 20 guys are capable of doing when compared to other chapters of 60 committed guys is not in the same ballpark. They can come up with the greatest ideas in the world and if they have neither the money or manpower to pull it off, then it doesn't matter.

So yes, I would want them to get a lot bigger, so that they do have the resources to accomplish more, and it goes without saying that they must do so by recruiting and maintaining quality members.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnall View Post
20 committed guys IS better than 60 non-committed guys. But, what those 20 guys are capable of doing when compared to other chapters of 60 committed guys is not in the same ballpark. They can come up with the greatest ideas in the world and if they have neither the money or manpower to pull it off, then it doesn't matter.
Who says they don't have the money and manpower? You? Well then that clearly makes it fact.

I was in a chapter with an average membership of 12 sisters during the 3 years I was a collegiate member. In those 3 years, we had the highest Greek GPA on campus, and we won the national philanthropy award at Convention, in addition to the highest award a chapter can get (and the only one with a monetary prize), earning us $2000.

It might sound cliche, but anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

Don't try and crush the OPs hopes and dreams when he's excited about his new brotherhood.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 04-13-2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
They can come up with the greatest ideas in the world and if they have neither the money or manpower to pull it off, then it doesn't matter.
Ideas for what?
Old 04-13-2011, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Who says they don't have the money and manpower? You? Well then that clearly makes it fact.

I was in a chapter with an average membership of 12 sisters during the 3 years I was a collegiate member. In those 3 years, we had the highest Greek GPA on campus, and we won the national philanthropy award at Convention, in addition to the highest award a chapter can get (and the only one with a monetary prize), earning us $2000.

It might sound cliche, but anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

Don't try and crush the OPs hopes and dreams when he's excited about his new brotherhood.
That's all nice. I'm not slighting any of it.

But, that's not an NIC fraternity. Very few people join (or will continue to pay/stick around with) an NIC fraternity so they can do study hours with the highest GPA on campus or participate in a philanthropy event.

It's a lot harder to run an event that generates 50k/yr to a charity when you have 20 people to work on it. It's a lot harder to have a party every other weekend that actually complies with school/national rules when your social budget comes form less than half the money paid by only 20 people. I'd be a little short of my personal personal annual entertainment expenses on half the dues rate my chapter charges times 20.

At no point have I said he'd have a horrible greek experience and should end himself immediately. That's just dumb. I said they'll always be resource strapped as long as they are small. That will define them because it will restrain almost everything they will want to consider doing.

I've been there and it sucks. The difference between broke and comfortably well off is massive. Regardless if it's an individual or a chapter.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That's all nice. I'm not slighting any of it.

But, that's not an NIC fraternity. Very few people join (or will continue to pay/stick around with) an NIC fraternity so they can do study hours with the highest GPA on campus or participate in a philanthropy event.

It's a lot harder to run an event that generates 50k/yr to a charity when you have 20 people to work on it. It's a lot harder to have a party every other weekend that actually complies with school/national rules when your social budget comes form less than half the money paid by only 20 people. I'd be a little short of my personal personal annual entertainment expenses on half the dues rate my chapter charges times 20.

At no point have I said he'd have a horrible greek experience and should end himself immediately. That's just dumb. I said they'll always be resource strapped as long as they are small. That will define them because it will restrain almost everything they will want to consider doing.

I've been there and it sucks. The difference between broke and comfortably well off is massive. Regardless if it's an individual or a chapter.
Shut. The. Fuck. Up.