GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,181
1 members and 1,180 guests
No Members online

Old 07-22-2003, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I can get over the person in the beautiful red business suit a whole lot better than the person who comes in sweats, jeans, a dress for tha club, etc. Some people really don’t know or understand that for the organizations events the orgs colors should be left to the members. It is not done out of disrespect and if they really are a together person, they can learn. The one who does not come appropriately regardless of the colors is something else.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Painting the Bronx, NY pretty PINK and gorgeous GREEN
That is for sure Kimmie,

I have heard some crazy things about the ghetto women/men who come to rushes, I know for a fact that this group of friends actually came to a rush not to get in the sorority, but for the FREE FOOD!!! They dressed up and all and one even submitted an application for membership and got in! She said afterward, "I didn't want to do this at first but I think I will enjoy it while it lasts!!!" Then proceeded to do her sorority call. I must give it to her that she was Ms. Community Service after she became a member of XYZ... But she was the joke of the campus. Makes ya wonder doesn't it

Last edited by Diva_56; 07-29-2003 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok...

the only thing I can think of from my rush is that a question was asked about the progression of the role of the African-Amercian woman in the next 20 years or something like that and every interest had to answer...the one and only white interest there was like "I don't know about the role of African-American women but the role of WOMEN will be...etc..etc.." You could cut the tension in the room with a knife....

When you drop the baggage, your hands will then be free to embrace the blessings...
Old 07-22-2003, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Ok...

Quote:
Originally posted by OOhsoflyDELTA#9
"I don't know about the role of African-American women but the role of WOMEN will be...etc..etc.."
Tell me she didn't go there
Old 07-23-2003, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

My thing is, whether or not they 'know' the deal I've told young women this "Would you do, wear, or say that at a job interview?" Treat this like that, only betta!
Old 07-23-2003, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Krisco
My thing is, whether or not they 'know' the deal I've told young women this "Would you do, wear, or say that at a job interview?" Treat this like that, only betta!
I like that explaination better than simply telling people to come dressed in business suits. They are less likely to show up in outrageous colors or styles. When it comes to important things like this, I usually treat them as a real first impression situation because first impressions are important.

And if they have never been on a job interview, I think they should research that as well. JMO
Old 07-23-2003, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

I was at an information session just after crossing. As an icebreaker, we asked all of the ladies to introduce themselves using their first name and an adjective starting with the same letter (e.g., elegant Elissa). One girl responded with "kinky K----." (I kid you not!) And no, she was not selected.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Quote:
Originally posted by BabyBlue91
I was at an information session just after crossing. As an icebreaker, we asked all of the ladies to introduce themselves using their first name and an adjective starting with the same letter (e.g., elegant Elissa). One girl responded with "kinky K----." (I kid you not!) And no, she was not selected.
Oh. My. Damms. Not a good thing. Why would a person introduce herself as "kinky Khia" or something like that when she's pursuing an organization that's full of educated women who are about doing good and uplifting people?
Old 07-23-2003, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BabyBlue91

Well that didn't sound too educated.
I'm scratching my head at that one.....why the......ok I'm not going to get mad.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Ok...

Quote:
Originally posted by OOhsoflyDELTA#9
the only thing I can think of from my rush is that a question was asked about the progression of the role of the African-Amercian woman in the next 20 years or something like that and every interest had to answer...the one and only white interest there was like "I don't know about the role of African-American women but the role of WOMEN will be...etc..etc.." You could cut the tension in the room with a knife....
Please don't flame me, but I think this may have been a bit insensitive to the White lady. Obviously, she may not know about the role of AA women since she is not one, so she was not able to answer the question from that perspective. But, I am guessing that she did try to answer the question as best she could.

Now, if the tables were turned and an AA female was at a KKG or DDD rush and they asked about the role of White women, then we all know that the isht would hit the fan and just about every AA student on campus would call for the chapters' charter to be revoked because of racism.

Yes, NPHC greeks are 98% AA, but we do have White members. As a matter of fact a White undergrad soror of mine won a SW Regional scholarship.

I think the fact that a White woman showed interest in a NPHC org and wanted to participate in the activites in a room full of AA women took a lot of guts. I don't really like the term reverse discrimination, but I think this situation is an example of that. JMO
Old 07-23-2003, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Ok...

Quote:
Originally posted by sigmadiva
Please don't flame me, but I think this may have been a bit insensitive to the White lady. Obviously, she may not know about the role of AA women since she is not one, so she was not able to answer the question from that perspective. But, I am guessing that she did try to answer the question as best she could.

Now, if the tables were turned and an AA female was at a KKG or DDD rush and they asked about the role of White women, then we all know that the isht would hit the fan and just about every AA student on campus would call for the chapters' charter to be revoked because of racism.

Yes, NPHC greeks are 98% AA, but we do have White members. As a matter of fact a White undergrad soror of mine won a SW Regional scholarship.

I think the fact that a White woman showed interest in a NPHC org and wanted to participate in the activites in a room full of AA women took a lot of guts. I don't really like the term reverse discrimination, but I think this situation is an example of that. JMO
If she has interest in joining a member of a BGLO then she should be AWARE of issues that African American women face. The issues that BLACK women face are at the heart of the programs that DELTA executes.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Ok...

Quote:
I understand where you are coming from BUT MY problem with this situation was the fact that the woman felt the need to say..."I don't know about the role of African American women...."
Didn't she know/understand Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated? The remark was totally insensitive (and quite ignorant considering the audience)
Old 07-23-2003, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Ok...

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4
If she has interest in joining a member of a BGLO then she should be AWARE of issues that African American women face. The issues that BLACK women face are at the heart of the programs that DELTA executes.
Yes, good point. But, to further the 'flame', the White lady may not be aware of the issues of AA women because she did not grow up with that experience so she can not address the question. For example, I do have Choctaw Indian in my bloodline but I was not raised as an American Indian. So, while I can be sympathetic to what is happening to American Indians I can not 'feel' their issues because I was not raised that way.

I am not suggesting that because a non-Black is interested in our (NPHC) orgs we need to totally adjust our respective programs, but we may need to be more aware that they have an interest; and their background will be different from many of ours.

Maybe, for whatever reason, the White lady wants to become more aware and involved with the issues of AA women and Delta piqued her interest. Or maybe she just saw women who are out there trying to help other women. I've never really seen the type of women-support efforts among NPC orgs as there are among NPHC sororities.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Well.....

I posted the original thread about the white(I think she was half hispanic) interest. I didn't like the way she came off with her answer. It felt like she was pissed at the question. It was well known she was an interest on the yard. She was pissed that she didn't make it, she was hatin on my line trying to name drop and by being nosey ( she was my LS's roommate) and she transfered to A&T (a HBCU) after that semester...I didn't hear her say it myself but it was rumored that she said that she'd go to a Black school because they take all qualified applicants....NOT!! This may offend some people but I think you should KNOW YOUR ROLE and deal with it!!!!!!

When you drop the baggage, your hands will then be free to embrace the blessings...
Old 07-23-2003, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ok...

Sorry, but if she had done research, she would see that:

"We are an organization of over 200,000 college-educated women who are committed to public service, with a focus on sustaining the growth and development of the African American community. "

www.deltasigmatheta.com
Official National Website

To echo my soror, how are you (in general) going to get involved in an organization when you know nothing about its focus? Why would you (in general) want to join a SISTERHOOD and know nothing about its members? This applies in general but moreso in this case since the distinction is clearly evident (white woman: black women).

Anywho, there was an older woman (late 40's, early 50's) that showed up to my alumnae chapter's rush with a PINK SWEATSUIT and GREEN HAT, chillin' !

Quote:
Yes, good point. But, to further the 'flame', the White lady may not be aware of the issues of AA women because she did not grow up with that experience so she can not address the question. For example, I do have Choctaw Indian in my bloodline but I was not raised as an American Indian. So, while I can be sympathetic to what is happening to American Indians I can not 'feel' their issues because I was not raised that way.

I am not suggesting that because a non-Black is interested in our (NPHC) orgs we need to totally adjust our respective programs, but we may need to be more aware that they have an interest; and their background will be different from many of ours.

Maybe, for whatever reason, the White lady wants to become more aware and involved with the issues of AA women and Delta piqued her interest. Or maybe she just saw women who are out there trying to help other women. I've never really seen the type of women-support efforts among NPC orgs as there are among NPHC sororities.