GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,582
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,252
2 members and 1,250 guests
Pinkmagnolia921

Old 10-28-2010, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
Pick your poison - it's all bad. I'm coming in from Katy, so:

6:30 - leave and go to youngest son's school.
6:40 - drop off youngest son; head to eldest son's school. THIS is where it gets interesting. Do I 1.) go west (the wrong way) so I can hit the HOV lane before it gets really hairy 2.) go down Fry and hit the freeway, hoping against hope someone will let me over to get into the HOV or 3.) just go down the feeder roads? Depends on how backed up the freeway appears to be. Today it was the feeders all the way.
7:20 - 7:30 - drop off eldest son at his school.
7:45 - 7:50 - arrive at my school.
Katy to Houston? I frequently go to Houston and it's a nightmare. I couldn't survive if I had to drive in that daily

Last edited by knight_shadow; 10-28-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

It's a 28 minute ride on the el to class and work for me. It takes me 50 minutes to get to internship though, which really sucks. Also, it's an 8 minute walk to the el from my apartment.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd love to complain, but I really can't:

Since my fraternity does not have an official house, I live in an apartment off campus. I'm six blocks away from my classes (it's a huge campus).

It takes me 8min by bike to get to classes, and each time, I have to "fight" traffic going at 25mph and the 300ft elevation climb has really given me a lot of leg muscles. I can choose to walk, but then it takes 15min to get to classes.

Going downhill, I always wonder if that time will be my last as I imagine myself getting fragged into pieces if I ever fall off at 30mph.

(BTW, nobody drives, parking permits are so expensive that they start to rival rent for a room in some areas.)
Old 10-28-2010, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

From my old apartment, it was a 15 minute drive to work. We just moved in August, so now my commute is about 5-7 minutes. I love living close to work, makes it easy to go home on break.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
I'm 6.1 miles from my job. It takes me THIRTY-FIVE MINUTES, minimum to get there. Something is wrong.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm six miles from my job - including walking from my place to the Metro (15 minutes) and walking from Metro to the office (10 minutes), it takes an hour. If I drive (very, very rare since I don't own a car), it takes 45 minutes during rush hour, or 15 minutes if I come in after about 9:30 or so.

I'm starting a new job on Monday and I think my shorter commute ranks pretty high on the list of perks (eliminating a transfer AND going four fewer stops, it should be about 35 minutes door to door.)

Old 10-29-2010, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
Pick your poison - it's all bad.
Houston traffic=THE WORST. I hated it.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

I read this as commune instead of commute and though you were all dirty hippies.

I live oh less than a ten minute walk from campus and can be anywhere from that corner of campus in about five minutes. We also have a shuttle but I only take that if I have a load of library books, my lungs are not cooperative, a friend with access concerns is riding and they need a hand on the hills because their chair is not motorized, or it is raining.

I am still using the same tank of gas I purchased the 11th of September about 100 miles away from my house. Even though a parking permit would be super helpful this winter the cost was about a month of rent and it more than covered my kitties special food for a year. Considering I don't plan to be in town May-August if I am in the field it would be a waste of money.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
I am still using the same tank of gas I purchased the 11th of September about 100 miles away from my house
I filled up Monday or Tuesday, and it's time for me to fill up again. You make me sick

Old 10-29-2010, 08:19 AM
GreekChat Member

k_s, Sorry dude, but I have you beat. I fill up every other day. :P
Old 10-29-2010, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Suburban Philadelphia

19 Miles = 45 mins to 1 hour (once it took 3 hours, but a sink hole was involved) during rush hour. It involves 2 two lane highways and rediculous amounts of volume.

Brilliant people designed our roadways - they made sure to build one into the side of a mountain, boardered by a river and one road that runs through a national park, banking from east to west, with suicidal deer.

Non-rush hour it takes about 30 mins.