Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,266
1 members and 1,265 guests
southernbuff

Old 02-01-2010, 02:09 AM
Super Moderator

I don't think I've missed the point, but I am questioning the venue.

And if the ZTA mod would like to delete my posts, please do so.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

just got word that the zetas won their regional event and will be advancing.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AU_ZTA86 Send a message via Yahoo to AU_ZTA86
Congrats to our sisters for WINNINIG the Sprite Step Off 2010 Saturday night in Atlanta!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw66oy5xyDw

Competition should be on the March 7, 3 PM EST, MTV2 show.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

wow!! way to go epsilon!!
Old 02-22-2010, 07:08 PM

Wow! Those girls can definitely move!
Old 02-22-2010, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

GO ZTA!!
Old 02-23-2010, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
While I understand the cultural significance and history of stepping to NPHC orgs (thanks to Ludacris explaining it on the show and my fellow GCers), this particular competition was open to all orgs. So I say, if you can do it well enough to win, then you should win, regardless of which council your org is in.

GO ZTA!
Old 02-23-2010, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SthrnZeta View Post
While I understand the cultural significance and history of stepping to NPHC orgs (thanks to Ludacris explaining it on the show and my fellow GCers), this particular competition was open to all orgs. So I say, if you can do it well enough to win, then you should win, regardless of which council your org is in.

GO ZTA!
This is not the issue. There are a whole lot of different feelings out there from the D9. Some really don't care and actually agree with you, some feel that non-D9 orgs should not share in our tradition at all, some feel that only D9 should have participated in this particular show since the money pot was so big and we are the ones that have made stepping what it is today and also were used to heavily promote this event, some take issue with the fact that many non-D9 orgs that are embracing stepping today have no idea of the history or tradition, and many other feelings.

Also stepping is about innovation, creativity, and originality and some are quite pissed that ZTA brought nothing new and instead used all D9 steps in their show, even the stepping on the raised platform. Some say that if the judges were greek and not celebrities, that they would not have won doing other orgs' steps which is not looked upon favorably by those that know and appreciate stepping. So this is what all the feelings are about.

But I say congrats to ZTA. I just hope they will bring the creativity and originality next year. I think more people will respect their performance then. However, I can't be too supportive when you are doing steps that have been in my org for years and yes they had a little bit of everyone's steps in there. Most non-D9 step teams study us but make up new moves if they care about not copying and disrespecting us. ZTA needs to do the same.

Last edited by rhoyaltempest; 02-23-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
Also stepping is about innovation, creativity, and originality and some are quite pissed that ZTA brought nothing new and instead used all D9 steps in their show, even the stepping on the raised platform. Some say that if the judges were greek and not celebrities, that they would not have won doing other orgs' steps which is not looked upon favorably by those that know and appreciate stepping. So this is what all the feelings are about.

But I say congrats to ZTA. I just hope they will bring the creativity and originality next year. I think more people will respect their performance then.
^^^THIS!

This debate is getting on my nerves already, and I just stumbled upon it last night. Both extremes of the debate are driving me insane right now.

As someone who has both created, learned, performed and judged performance routines, albeit not stepping, but ones in which the scoring categories are pretty much the same, i think ZTA performed really well. With few exceptions their timing and precision was great, they were in fact entertaining, good costumes, etc. But even before reading comments and such, I sat through almost the entirety of their routine like, "I've seen the Alphas do that, the Ques, do that, etc. etc." Their creativity in the routine was pretty much nil.

If this is in fact a successful event next year, and they participate, I agree with rhoyaltempest and hope they bring new material to the stage.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Well done, Ladies

I've been away from Greekchat for a year or so, but logged back in just so I could say how gobsmacked I was by the performance of the Epsilon Chapter in the Sprite Step-Off. Those ladies stepped hard, and my mouth was like the entire time!

From where I sit, Epsilon chapter not only deserved the award because of their performance, but because of the humility and respect shown by the step team leader in the post-performance interview where she talked about the honour and respect ZTA has for the NPHC, and how graciously she displayed love for her sorority without disparaging others.

Now if only I could make out what the women were chanting during their routine...

Again, well deserved congratulations, ZTA. I look forward to seeing you -- and other NPC sororities -- participating in step shows in the future (are you listening, Alpha Phi?)
Old 02-26-2010, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistermadly View Post
I've been away from Greekchat for a year or so, but logged back in just so I could say how gobsmacked I was by the performance of the Epsilon Chapter in the Sprite Step-Off. Those ladies stepped hard, and my mouth was like the entire time!

From where I sit, Epsilon chapter not only deserved the award because of their performance, but because of the humility and respect shown by the step team leader in the post-performance interview where she talked about the honour and respect ZTA has for the NPHC, and how graciously she displayed love for her sorority without disparaging others.

Now if only I could make out what the women were chanting during their routine...

Again, well deserved congratulations, ZTA. I look forward to seeing you -- and other NPC sororities -- participating in step shows in the future (are you listening, Alpha Phi?)
Just as long as you create your own steps and bring your own identity, which we have been doing for years. Oh and respect the tradition by actually learning about it and not just trying to step because you think it's cool.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistermadly View Post

FAIL.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations ZTA as everything you did in your performance was amazing! You earned your win!!!

I can understand the frustration felt by the other groups, but when a large competition is created involving a sizable prize there should be ironclad rules and nothing should be left to be misunderstood by those that enter. If you are not allowed to use steps that are "known" to be of another groups it should also be stated.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baci View Post
If you are not allowed to use steps that are "known" to be of another groups it should also be stated.
That should go without saying...
Old 02-26-2010, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Part of the judging criteria is originality, so it DOES go without saying.

Be Original = STOP STEALIN.

Gosh, first our men, now our steps!