Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,450
0 members and 1,450 guests
No Members online

Old 04-15-2009, 02:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Choo View Post
See, I'm thinking of another place altogether b/c I can think of another city that uses the same slogan.....
Her city is clearly listed in her location.

This outcome is exactly why I mentioned how awkward having a prospective AI at a formal would be when she first posted. I can't even fathom it.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Choo View Post
I guess maybe some NPC's do have them meet collegians? But I'm still at the thought that the person who set this up thinking FORMAL was the right event!!
I'm familiar with the school and for that campus environment, it would be seen as totally weird for an alumna to be at formal. You MIGHT see a recently graduated alumna as someone's date or something. Most alumnae live in the larger cities about an hour away (such as Cincinnati ) so there isn't usually a lot of day-to-day alumnae involvement.

Last edited by ADqtPiMel; 04-15-2009 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLonghorn View Post
Her city is clearly listed in her location.

This outcome is exactly why I mentioned how awkward having a prospective AI at a formal would be when she first posted. I can't even fathom it.
My bad! I was just looking at her screename!

I now revise my thinking and echo everyone begging the OP to use some discretion.

Last edited by Jimmy Choo; 04-15-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a little scared. She said her "first" sorority formal.... as in "the first of many"... WTH? I've been an alum for a few years now, and not once have I ever gone to a collegiate chapter's formal.

Even if I was allowed, I wouldn't even want to go - I'm way too old for that scene!

And in my sorority/chapter, no alums were even allowed at formal or other events unless they were advisors (risk mgmt). And I think there was one... maaaaybe two advisors that went to formal but that was about it.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

WOW

Um also do most sororities have their advisor at their formal?
Old 04-15-2009, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm an advisor, and I go to formals. It's sort of expected of me (as someone else said, risk management). Plus I'm another car in case of emergencies.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners52674 View Post
WOW

If not the advisor, definitely a chaperone. I attended a collegiate chapter formal as the advisor's "date" once...and it was very awkward for me. I imagine it was the same way with the girls as well.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners52674 View Post
WOW

We try to have an adviser at the larger events to assist in monitoring risk management issues however, I suggest that my advisory council members play a low key role from the corner as an observer and not attend with date, corsage, etc. Advisers should be there to do their job and not unnecessarily socialize as was the case with the OP AI candidate.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
I'm a little scared. She said her "first" sorority formal.... as in "the first of many"... WTH? I've been an alum for a few years now, and not once have I ever gone to a collegiate chapter's formal.

Even if I was allowed, I wouldn't even want to go - I'm way too old for that scene!

And in my sorority/chapter, no alums were even allowed at formal or other events unless they were advisors (risk mgmt). And I think there was one... maaaaybe two advisors that went to formal but that was about it.
This is kind of what I was getting at with my first post on this topic. I think that it is creepy when alumnae members try to re-live their college experiences which was my impression of the initial post considering she spoke of her dress, date and corsage at her "first sorority formal." I wonder if the OP remembers what it was like to be 20 years old and in college. I know that it wasn't always a prim and proper experience for me.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I attended formals as an advisor - it was not something I looked at as a social event (although I did enjoy being with the actives) but as part of my "job".
Old 04-15-2009, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas City View Post
I think that it is creepy when alumnae members try to re-live their college experiences ....
Or create new college experiences via AI...which is our #1 reason NOT to AI.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I am just trying to picture what would have happened if our adviser tried to attend our formal. There would probably have been only two sisters there, that's what. It's just not an event for older people. We had the designated sober sisters, we had a safe way home, we had the risk manager sober and present, and our adviser let us have our fun.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri deezy View Post
I am just trying to picture what would have happened if our adviser tried to attend our formal. There would probably have been only two sisters there, that's what. It's just not an event for older people. We had the designated sober sisters, we had a safe way home, we had the risk manager sober and present, and our adviser let us have our fun.
That's pretty much how ours is. Although we have to have a cop this year and bracelets for girls over 21.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:55 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri deezy View Post
And that's another case of what works for you might not work for others.

Not having an advisor or chaperone at a formal definitely would NOT have flown for my collegiate chapter.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

As an active, I couldn't have imagined NOT having Sylvia at our formals! We loved her! And to the best of my knowledge, my Gamma Nu girls liked having me and my mother at their formals - they certainly liked having their pictures taken with us. We presented awards, and always managed to look surprised when they gave us a gift.