GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,535
0 members and 1,535 guests
No Members online

Old 05-01-2023, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

This is an awesome question, Phrozen Sands. But it opens up a can of worms for me! I'll share when I have a minute...
Old 05-01-2023, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake View Post
This is an awesome question, Phrozen Sands. But it opens up a can of worms for me! I'll share when I have a minute...
Bet.. sounds good.
Old 05-02-2023, 09:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozen Sands View Post
Lmfao!!!! @ your description and the mental image of you doing that. Loool!!!!
lol
And I thought I was easily amused. I don’t see any humor in what I’ve said but if I can put a smile on someone’s face, then that makes me happy.
HARRIS/WALZ 2024
Old 05-02-2023, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

There are only two jobs I lasted half a day in, both were when I was in high school.

The first one was doing telemarketing, yes I'm sort of aging myself here. But it was calling people to try and get them to sign up for a free lawn assessment. I was one of a batch of new people hired. I was AWFUL, besides the hang ups because back then people weren't near as grumpy about telemarketers, but no one wanted the free assessment, I see others around me at least get one or two people during their 4 hour shift. Me zilch, nada, nothing. I then realized I am not destined to work in the sales field. I didn't return and I highly doubt they missed me.

The second job again file this under half day wonder too. So my BF at the time worked part time at this print shop near where we lived. I had met some of his co-workers who were a bit older than us but were still really cool people. They needed some extra help because there was some big job they needed to get done. He said I wouldn't have to work on some of the heavy equipment that could take off a finger so I figured what the heck. Horrible!! It was me (I think I was like 18 and some other younger teens who apparently were kids of the managers who worked in the office). For whatever reason the staff person in charge I still remember her name Terri just didn't like me I guess, she was super cool with the kids who were nepo-babies, me I couldn't do anything right and she just constantly rode my ass hard even though I was doing the exact same thing as everyone else, so honestly it wasn't as though I was trying to do a poor job. What then sealed the deal, is all of the sudden the nepo-babies are invited to have lunch which was I guess maybe their parents ordering pizza for all of them except me. Ok fine, but they got a break, I was expected to just continue working. After about 4 hours I was legit starting to get a bit lightheaded since I clearly didn't get a break nor have an opportunity to even get some water before Terri was conducting the Spanish Inquisition on me. Finally, I told my BF, I needed to step out and get something to eat (this was when task-master Terri was on a break herself). I never came back. About 2 hours later my BF calls to check to see if I'm ok, and I told him, Terri was just rude to me for no reason, and I wasn't returning. A few days later my BF and his two co-workers I was friendly with we all went out for drinks and they were asking about what had happened. I told them both, and they both said Terri can be a bit abrasive. Yah think!!

Even though they weren't great experiences clearly I learned life lessons from both considering I remember them quite clearly.
Old 05-02-2023, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Terri needs to be canned.
Old 05-03-2023, 08:53 AM
GreekChat Member

My guess if she hasn't retired she's still probably there making new or temp workers lives miserable.
Old 05-08-2023, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthen View Post
The first one was doing telemarketing, yes I'm sort of aging myself here. But it was calling people to try and get them to sign up for a free lawn assessment. I was one of a batch of new people hired. I was AWFUL, besides the hang ups because back then people weren't near as grumpy about telemarketers, but no one wanted the free assessment, I see others around me at least get one or two people during their 4 hour shift. Me zilch, nada, nothing. I then realized I am not destined to work in the sales field. I didn't return and I highly doubt they missed me.
I did that back then, too, except I managed to hold out for the whole week- I just didn't come back in on Monday ("ghosting" as the kids would call it today). I think the product was vinyl siding? Or roof replacements? Sometime like that They just photocopied pages of a cross-directory (like a phone book, but it's listed in phone number order instead of by names), and we all sat there in a room with our pages and a phone, and something to write down the information if we were able to set up an appointment. I don't remember if I ever made any....maybe one, the whole week. They sent me my check for the 20 hours in the mail, and it helped me do my Christmas shopping that year, but I never had any desire to try it again.