GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,186
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,475
0 members and 1,475 guests
No Members online

Old 02-24-2007, 04:04 AM
GreekChat Member

That's just it. Dude, I compare Junior to Gordon because ever since Gordon moved up to Cup level racing, Big E fans hated him as soon as he started winning. The reason why they hated him is because he was beating the Intimidator. I'm always in debate with Jr. fans, because they hate Gordon, and they don't have any reason other than the fact that he's one of the best.

Jr. fans are only converted Big E fans. It's funny but when Gordon spun Kenseth out at Chicagoland last season he got booed and beer cans were thrown at him. Whenever Big E would spin someone out they loved him for it. He got a lot of his wins by wrecking someone else. I think that's the wrong way to win. I would hate to see what would happen if Gordon spun Jr. out. He would definitely get death threats just like Vickers did at Dega.

When I wear my 24 hat, a Jr. fan wearing an 8 bandanna or something like that will say "Gordon sucks!" I always ask them how many championships has Jr. won? And if Gordon sucks with 75 wins 80 million in winnings alone, more than any driver in NASCAR history (not including his endorsements) 3 Daytona 500s, 4 championships, and more road course wins than any driver including the King himself, then Jr. shouldn't even be racing with 17 wins and 0 championships.

Don't get me wrong, I like Jr. and your right he's a damn good driver and if he was with a better team he probably would have won a championship by now. But I just think he's way over rated. He's only NASCAR's most popular driver because he's the son of the Intimidator. I agree, 17 wins is great, but he's treated like he's GOD's gift to NASCAR. Well, he's not, at least not with those stats.

I like Jr. He's awesome, but I don't like his fan base. Most of them are hypocrites. I know you're a Jr. fan and based on your posts I don't think you're a hypocrite or anything, because you know quite a bit about the sport. I'm talking about the ones who don't, and then disrespect Jeff. That's all. Nothing against Junior or anyone on GC who are Jr. fans.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I can understand that. I mean, I didn't really like his dad that much. I was actually a pretty big Gordon fan when I was younger, but like a lot of people his issues with Brooke and the whining turned me off.

I'm not really the average Junior fan, but I still dislike Gordon as they do. I mean, what do you expect. You've got a beer sponsored, gutsy driving guy who could quit and go work at his dad's dealership vs. a hollywood type, high pitched voice guy with a yankee accent. I'm not as into the rivalry as most people, but I understand where they're coming from

Side note, a lot of the intensity came from that Dega race a few years ago before we had green white checkered.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey,

May I ask you fellas a question? You all seem to know a bit and, as I mentioned earlier, I am totally new to this.

I'm participating in yahoo fantasy auto racing and I went to check on my picks today. I'm wondering if either of you could explain how the points system works. For example, I've got Khane on my team as an A driver. When I clicked the chart symbol next to his name last week, it showed him as being owned by 8% of players for some 77 points. Today, it's showing 23% of players own him for 5 points. See here:

http://racing.fantasysports.yahoo.com/auto/players/396

How does this work? I tried reading the instructions/rules but I'm still not sure what the chart is really telling me. If he does well, does this mean I'll get less points because everybody else was playing him too?

Ah well, we'll see how I do tomorrow!

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 02-25-2007, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
Hey,

May I ask you fellas a question? You all seem to know a bit and, as I mentioned earlier, I am totally new to this.

I'm participating in yahoo fantasy auto racing and I went to check on my picks today. I'm wondering if either of you could explain how the points system works. For example, I've got Khane on my team as an A driver. When I clicked the chart symbol next to his name last week, it showed him as being owned by 8% of players for some 77 points. Today, it's showing 23% of players own him for 5 points. See here:

http://racing.fantasysports.yahoo.com/auto/players/396

How does this work? I tried reading the instructions/rules but I'm still not sure what the chart is really telling me. If he does well, does this mean I'll get less points because everybody else was playing him too?

Ah well, we'll see how I do tomorrow!

.....Kelly
I play fantasy NASCAR on a different site, and the one I play on gives me points based on what the driver actually gets. The more races my team wins or the more top 5s and top 10s I get, I move up in the rankings. Your's sounds a little different.

If you really want have fun try playing the NASCAR sim on the computer or XBox. It's so real and so much fun. Denny Hamlin & Jr. actually play the same sim. I'm in the middle of a season right now with my own team. You'll actually learn a lot from the sim.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock View Post
I can understand that. I mean, I didn't really like his dad that much. I was actually a pretty big Gordon fan when I was younger, but like a lot of people his issues with Brooke and the whining turned me off.

I'm not really the average Junior fan, but I still dislike Gordon as they do. I mean, what do you expect. You've got a beer sponsored, gutsy driving guy who could quit and go work at his dad's dealership vs. a hollywood type, high pitched voice guy with a yankee accent. I'm not as into the rivalry as most people, but I understand where they're coming from

Side note, a lot of the intensity came from that Dega race a few years ago before we had green white checkered.
Why does everyone say Jeff whines? I hear this a lot. I think it's just the way he talks.

Have you seen the car of tomorrow yet? I think it looks cool as a road coarse car but not an actual oval track car.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBoy View Post
I play fantasy NASCAR on a different site, and the one I play on gives me points based on what the driver actually gets. The more races my team wins or the more top 5s and top 10s I get, I move up in the rankings. Your's sounds a little different.

Well, the way it works, is I get points based on how my active drivers place in each race. A maximum of 90 pts is awarded for 1st place and then 2 points less for each placement after that (88 for 2nd, 86 for 3rd, etc). There are also bonus points for leading laps and for being top 4 after qualifying. So yeah, Top 5s and 10s will bank points.

But ah ha...I think I just figured it out after staring at it for a while. I think the charts are showing how many fanstasy points the players earned last week. The puny little points currently posted for this week reflect the bonus points earned from qualifying yesterday. Duh. Thank you for trying to help. I'd have asked my roommates, but one is out of town and the other is returning from Iraq on Tuesday!

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 02-25-2007, 01:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Auto Club 500

bold - drivers active for this race

Kahne - earned bonus pts for 2nd qual.
Kenseth

Sadler
Martin - earned bonus pts for 3rd qual.
Gilliland
Montoya

Sauter
Ragan

I "broke the rules" and decided not to run any Ford cars. Due to Kahne and Martin's performance on Friday, I've already got some points on the board; I hope they come through for me tomorrow.

.....Kelly <--- wants to embarass her NASCAR roommates with some beginner's luck.

True and Constant
Old 02-25-2007, 02:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Can't help you, i'm clueless with fantasy stuff.

I just don't like drivers who constantly bitch whenever something goes wrong. One reason a lot of people like Junior is that he very rarely blames anyone but himself. Tony used to be bad, but he seems to be getting better. Some drama makes for entertaining post race.

I'm not very impressed with the COTF, we'll see how it all shakes out.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
Auto Club 500

bold - drivers active for this race

Kahne - earned bonus pts for 2nd qual.
Kenseth

Sadler
Martin - earned bonus pts for 3rd qual.
Gilliland
Montoya

Sauter
Ragan

I "broke the rules" and decided not to run any Ford cars. Due to Kahne and Martin's performance on Friday, I've already got some points on the board; I hope they come through for me tomorrow.

.....Kelly <--- wants to embarass her NASCAR roommates with some beginner's luck.
Kahne will come through. He's good at California, Texas, Charlotte, Michigan and Atlanta just to name a few. Good luck.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Can't help you, i'm clueless with fantasy stuff.

I just don't like drivers who constantly bitch whenever something goes wrong. One reason a lot of people like Junior is that he very rarely blames anyone but himself. Tony used to be bad, but he seems to be getting better. Some drama makes for entertaining post race.

I'm not very impressed with the COTF, we'll see how it all shakes out.
LOL. Yeah, Jr. never complains. He actually seems to be the driver with the best personality.

I'm not surprised that you don't like the COT. No one does it seems like. The drivers hate it too. It looks pretty cool. Boxy but cool. I think Stewart will adapt to it the quickest.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Well and to be fair, until they really get them all in racing shape it'll be tough to tell. I thought the Fusion was terrible, but with a full paint scheme it looks better (still think its ugly).
Old 02-25-2007, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the Chevy SSs look the best. Did anyone watch the race today? Matt is sweeping this track.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I watched, I hate California.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I watched, I hate California.
LOL. I do too. That and Pocono are so boring to watch. I don't like Chicagoland either. The intermediate tracks I like are Texas and Atlanta.

O.K. NASCAR fans how political do you think NASCAR has gotten?
I see a lot of things that are unfair that benefit top teams. I think they changed the Chase format from 10 to 12 cars so that Jeff, Little E, Tony and the other top teams can get in the Chase at the same time. Personally I hate the Chase format. I liked the points system when it was sponsored by Winston. Jeff would have won his 5th championship in 2004 if the old rules had been in place then.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:27 AM
GreekChat Member

How is driving a car in circles a sport? And how is watching a bunch of hill billies driving in circles exciting?