GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,338
2 members and 1,336 guests
Xidelt

Old 02-10-2008, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Zillini,
Bingo! This tale wins the prize! I am still laughing.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:57 PM

I guess we have something to add to the "B's": Booze, boys, bank accounts, and boobs!
Old 02-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

unless talking to a zeta about our phil. of course, ones boob job has nothing to do with that !
Old 02-10-2008, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

New rule...if you feel a little gassy, don't lean away from your rusher and pass gas in her face! I swear it happened to one of my sisters. The girl was not trying to be offensive, she really didn't even acknowledge that she did it. In the end, she did not get a bid to any group so I guess she did similar things at other parties!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 02-10-2008, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIIalum View Post
I guess we have something to add to the "B's": Booze, boys, bank accounts, and boobs!
boys, booze, bank, bible, ballot, bitches/boobs
Old 02-10-2008, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Please note: Only Chuck Norris can injure women during recruitment and still receive bids to all 26 NPCs.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

It seems a little funny to say that these are "rules" as if they are at the level and the panhellenic rules that can get your chapter sanctions.

I think it's a really bad idea to talk about any of them and probably most conversations about any will be in poor taste or otherwise offensive.

But, if a PNM brings something up, a reaction of "we're not allowed to talk about that" is going to be far more awkward than just gracefully following up or redirecting.

For example if a PNM told you that she had spent all summer working for the Obama campaign, isn't it going to make her feel more appreciated and welcome to follow up on that statement?

Again, I totally agree that no member should initiate a conversation on those points and should gracefully get out without telling any stories about the chapter or sisters.

I have no idea what someone should say about a boob job. Maybe just a "how wonderful that you can feel your best about yourself" ?
Old 02-10-2008, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
Quote:
Originally Posted by denimeans View Post
We do do that too, but most girls don't just drop out of recruitment. You still have to kind of read them to find out if they can pay....most girls stay in recruitment even when they're not quite sure how they're going to pay for it.
We have that same problem on our campus. We talk about dues on Philanthropy night and we'll basically say something along the lines of "Is this a realistic amount for you?" We're allowed to ask pretty much flat out. But still we get girls dropping because they are broke. Or continuing through rush and then not accepting the bid cos their broke. I mean really, it's very obvious who's the cheapest on our campus, if you must join and you have limited funds, use this additional time to see if that chapter is somewhere you feel comfortable or get a job if you don't like them because those are pretty much your options! We also get women who say, "I don't have time for this". We explain all of our great activities during rush. That's what attracted you in the first place. If you don't have time, why don't you just join a club or something or sit at home and stare at the walls instead of wasting valuable time and taking a bid from someone who may have been a great member? If we told you we never did anything, then why would you have wanted to join?
Old 02-10-2008, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
I have no idea what someone should say about a boob job. Maybe just a "how wonderful that you can feel your best about yourself" ?
As I recall the active managed a rather stunned "Um, gee, that's nice."

In the game of Comebacks I wish I'd thought of that always happens after these incidents, I admit my favorite was "So what are you getting done next? Your nose or lipo?" Bad Z.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm sure this has already been said but just be as nice to the girls you talk to as you can. More than not they're just as nervous as you are. When I went through recruitment some PNMs were flat out rude. You may not like a house you're invited back to but that doesn't mean you never utter a word, go to the bathroom and stay in there then entire time or tell a girl straight out 'I hate this house, don't envite me back'.
Just because you don't like a house the first day doesn't mean it's not the house from you, I wasn't too sold on my house the first day I went, but by the end of the week I realized it was the house for me.
With a few exceptions, you'll usually end up in the right house for you. Just keep in mind that even if you don't like a house the things you say to them during recruitement is usually remembered, and you don't want to start off greek life with a bad rep.
Anyway that's my 2 cents :]
GO TRI DELTA!
Old 02-15-2008, 05:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh and don't dumb yourself down.
I heard a girl during recruitment this year asked a PNM what her favorite color was....her reply? 'Zebra.'
Old 02-15-2008, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsuTriDelt View Post
I'm sure this has already been said but just be as nice to the girls you talk to as you can. More than not they're just as nervous as you are. When I went through recruitment some PNMs were flat out rude. You may not like a house you're invited back to but that doesn't mean you never utter a word, go to the bathroom and stay in there then entire time or tell a girl straight out 'I hate this house, don't envite me back'.
Just because you don't like a house the first day doesn't mean it's not the house from you, I wasn't too sold on my house the first day I went, but by the end of the week I realized it was the house for me.
With a few exceptions, you'll usually end up in the right house for you. Just keep in mind that even if you don't like a house the things you say to them during recruitement is usually remembered, and you don't want to start off greek life with a bad rep.
Anyway that's my 2 cents :]
GO TRI DELTA!
I've never understood anyone who behaved like that. The least you can do is pin a smile on your face and go through the motions. There is no need to be rude. If a PNM gets invited to a chapter she isn't interested, well all she has to do is not accept. Duh!

These young women seem to forget that they may end up in class with someone from that chapter after Recruitment is over. Or an active might be friends with or live/room with someone from another chapter the PNM IS interested in. Actives can talk just as much as PNMs about their Recruitment experience/impressions, just not about their selection process.

On the flip side, I'm forever stressing to my actives that there will be PNMs they don't click with, that they may not even like. But it's their job to play the role of a gracious hostess. Every PNM that doesn't receive an invitation to the next round should shocked because she had such a nice time. The actives also forget PNMs talk about their experiences at the different chapters. Who wants to join a group that was rude to your new friend?

I think the problem is that we're dealing with 18-21 year olds. Not all of them have mastered the social skill of masking their true feelings with politeness. The craziness of a competitive Recruitment does serve a purpose. It should to teach the young women to deal with (sometimes) uncomfortable even forced social interaction, as well as stress. Sadly not everyone has learned those lessons very well yet.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini View Post
If a PNM gets invited to a chapter she isn't interested, well all she has to do is not accept. Duh!
On my campus, you had to attend all parties you were invited back too unless your invites exceeded the number of parties you could attend. Not accepting an invitation wasn't an option if your number of invites was equal to or less than the number of parties you could go to. Not that this excuses rudeness - nothing does. I just wish I'd been able to slap a few of the girls in my recruitment group - their behavior made me embarrassed for them.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

There is no excuse for rudeness, and one reason I've heard for it is that these PNMs either don't want to rush and are being coerced into it by their family or are only interested in a particular chapter. They want to put the "cutting" monkey on the "undesirable" chapters' backs so they can report to their moms that "the ABCs and XYZs cut me and I don't know why--guess I wasn't meant for sorority life/I'll have to join DEF." They are then victims of circumstance and not responsible for their decision to drop out completely or their decision to choose the GLO they want.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't make up a legacy!!! Our chapter had a PNM come through who wanted us so badly that she told every sister she talked to that her grandmother was a Kappa. We checked with headquarters and... no dice. Do these girls think we're not going to check?? We cut her immediately for lying like that.