GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,153
Threads: 115,579
Welcome to our newest member, samthaswimmer
» Online Users: 1,369
0 members and 1,369 guests
No Members online

Old 06-30-2007, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSig RC View Post
This is clearly the worst thread in the history of the site.

Anyone who answers "No" and isn't already inordinately wealthy is an absolute moron.
Would never trade my dogs.

Ever.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orderandlaw View Post
No dollar amount could even tempt me. How about you?
No way! I agree, I wouldn't either.
HARRIS/WALZ 2024
Old 07-01-2007, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Lisa_ View Post
I'd give them away for a million, and buy them back.
I like the way you think!

If our dog wasn't a rescue in the first place, I'd consider it. But I knew I could sell him for 2 minutes, then buy him back for $100,000 or less, I'd consider it. I wouldn't allow him to again go through what happened to him prior to his adoption.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
For a million dollars? Yes. I love him, but if he would have a good home, and I could then provide for my four children - Kaiser would get a new home.

Absolutely. I love my dog, but my children are my first priority. As long as I knew he'd be going to a good home, there's no question that I would choose providing security to my children first.

I wonder how many of the people who voted "no" in this thread have children? Most of the names I recognize seem to be from childless folks, but I don't know the status of all of 'em. Would be interesting to see the breakdown.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan314 View Post
Absolutely. I love my dog, but my children are my first priority. As long as I knew he'd be going to a good home, there's no question that I would choose providing security to my children first.

I wonder how many of the people who voted "no" in this thread have children? Most of the names I recognize seem to be from childless folks, but I don't know the status of all of 'em. Would be interesting to see the breakdown.
They don't call them "furkids" for nothing!
Old 07-01-2007, 02:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
No way. Barney is my baby!
Old 07-01-2007, 07:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Anyone who answers "No" and isn't already inordinately wealthy is an absolute moron.
Not necessarily. I don't put a LOT of value on money. It's nice, but it doesn't rule me. I grew up pretty wealthy. We weren't the richest people, but for small town middle America, we had it really good. I had 3 brand new cars (as surprises, I didn't ask for them!) by the time I was 18. My junior year of college I was given 100K, to finish school on. But with money comes a lot of demons. Someone in my family stole over half of the money that was left after my tuition, because he was addicted to gambling. He had access as a guardian, and just took it. It would have been a nice down payment for a home.

It also left me not respecting what a dollar was actually worth. I didn't work until my senior year of college (even then my family didn't want me to!), and by my first year of being married hubby and I had over 18 k of credit card debt. I didn't go to my family with it. I began to realize the benefit of hard work and actually getting myself out of things. We only made about 50k a year back then. But we made sacrifices and got it paid off.

To me money isn't the end all be all. I learned that the hard way. There are MUCH more important things in life, like dignity, respect, and knowing that I earn the money I've got. I have never asked my parents or anyone else in my family for money since I've been married (7 years today!) and unless we are dying, I won't. Does that mean that I don't want a nice house, and I wouldn't love to have a million dollars, absolutely not. But I like the satisfaction of knowing that hubby and I earned it.

No, I don't have kids, and Forrest (my basset hound) is my kid. Animals are not disposable and have feelings. To me, knowing that he is happy and well taken care of, is worth much more than a million dollars. A dog's love is so sincere and so unending.

So maybe I am a moron. I don't want things given to me, I love the self satisfaction of earning. I just see a darker side to money, that makes me think that getting money the easy way is not the answer to life's problems.

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
Never ever. Pets are not replaceable. And why would someone want to pay a million dollars for 4 mice and 2 goldfish anyway?

Theta Phi Alpha
Old 07-01-2007, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandia View Post
Never ever. Pets are not replaceable. And why would someone want to pay a million dollars for 4 mice and 2 goldfish anyway?
Dude, I would sell 4 mice and 2 goldfish for a $100 and bottle of Patron...lol...if I had pets they would SOOOOOO be gone for 1 million dollars......that money would change my child's life, holla back Fluffy...

When you drop the baggage, your hands will then be free to embrace the blessings...
Old 07-01-2007, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Nope. No way. My chinchillas are staying right where they are. Right there, in my room where I can talk to them and hold them and clean there cage and give them raisins.

Nope. Not for any dollar amount. I waited too long for my boys and they are not going anywhere.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOhsoflyDELTA#9 View Post
Dude, I would sell 4 mice and 2 goldfish for a $100 and bottle of Patron...lol...if I had pets they would SOOOOOO be gone for 1 million dollars......that money would change my child's life, holla back Fluffy...
We are >>>HERE<<<, except on the Patron (I don't drink). If I had 4 mice and 2 gold fish I would toss them for a pair of pumps.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSig RC View Post

Say you have kids, would you give your kids away for a million dollars?

No? Maybe now you understand the relationship some people have with their pets.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstar View Post
Say you have kids, would you give your kids away for a million dollars?

No? Maybe now you understand the relationship some people have with their pets.
Ummmmmmmmm no....36 hours of labor vs. 25 bucks at the pound....sorry, still do't get it.....BUT by all means, do you....if you wanna love the dog as much as the your child thats cool, I just never understood that kinda "pet" relationship....

When you drop the baggage, your hands will then be free to embrace the blessings...
Old 07-01-2007, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOhsoflyDELTA#9 View Post
Ummmmmmmmm no....36 hours of labor vs. 25 bucks at the pound....sorry, still do't get it.....BUT by all means, do you....if you wanna love the dog as much as the your child thats cool, I just never understood that kinda "pet" relationship....
I think it's only something that people without human children can imagine because anyone with human kids isn't going to really love the dog as much.

But for those of us without kids, pets can be pathetic stand-ins that we enjoy spoiling with attention and love that they probably don't appreciate; the food and vet care, I think they appreciate.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Lisa_ View Post
I'd give them away for a million, and buy them back.

This was my thought exactly.

Except.... Louie is at the kennel for a week since we are going on vacation and the office isn't open on Sundays so we had to take him yesterday, and I miss him like CRAZY!!!!

KLTC