Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,214
0 members and 1,214 guests
No Members online

Old 08-02-2005, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dakareng
ONe of my favorite programs of the past few years was having a local police officer come and do a "safety audit" of the hostess' house. He talked about alarm system pro/con, deadbolt locks and how to deal with home intruders. Most police departments have someone designated for 'community education' and they are happy to present safety issues pertinent to your area. He went an hour over... at our request. Some of his suggestions were simple things that I've installed... while I'd like to think the bad guys would go to the expensive homes by the golf course and not drive all the way over to my subdivision, I'd rather be safe.

We also did a silent auction last year that raised over $1000! We called it "Make it, Bake it, Fake it, Take it". Everyone brought something.. could be home made, or not. It was soooooooo much fun.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FSUZeta
bunko parties are popular

I've been wondering for years. What exactly is bunko?

These are all GREAT ideas.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

i have played it once years ago(and i stunk), but bunko involves dice-everyone has their own dice . can someone else explain it in detail?
Old 08-03-2005, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Bunko:

Four players to a table. You are paired with the person across from you. There are 6 5-minute games to a set (and 3 sets to a match): you roll for 1's in the 1st game, 2's in the 2nd game, 3's in the 3rd game, 4's in the 4th game, 5's in the 5th game, and 6's in the 6th game. After each game, the winning partners (the ones with the most points) move to the next table but switch partners (they will each partner with one of the losing players from the other table). You most probably will pair back up with previous partners, but try to pair up with everyone at least once (it's more fun that way).

For whatever number you are targeting, you count a point for each one. If you roll 3 of that number, it's a Bunko (of course, you have to holler "BUNKO"), and it's worth 21 points. If you roll 3 of another number (like 3 4's when you are trying for 2's), it's like a wild card. It's worth 5 points, and your turn continues. When you don't roll anything that is worth any points, your turn ends, and you pass the dice to the next person. Partners combine their score to see which team won.

Prizes may be given (or $$ split from the pot) for most points, least points, most bunkos, etc. It's a fun time, but it's a fast-paced game because you are trying to get the most points you can in only 5 minutes. Sometimes we all start talking and forget to count or set the timer!!! There is no talent involved and no thinking, just a little math! Hope this helps.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FSUZeta
i have played it once years ago(and i stunk), but bunko involves dice-everyone has their own dice . can someone else explain it in detail?
When I played, each table had 3 dice that we all passed to the next player, but I guess this could be another option.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, fabulous events!

All of you must have some fabulous AA's going on!
I love the "safety audit" idea. That sounds so helpful. It also sounds like a show I saw once or twice, "It Takes a Thief." The premis is to get a family to leave their house for the night and challenge a professional thief to try and break in. The she sow films the break in and ensuing theft and show the shocked family. The thieves always manage to get in within a matter of minutes if not seconds. It's shocking. Then they advise the exact measures the homeowners should take to protect themelves and their homes. Its great stuff, scary but actually quite helpful.
I would love to do something like that this fall.

I've also never played Bunko but it sounds perfect, cheap, fun, and easy to play.
I also thought of a evening of playing "Celebrity" I always think that's a fun game. Maybe a game night this winter would be a fun idea.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

What a lot of fun ideas! It's nice to have such a variety of new things to suggest for the coming year.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bsp-mich24
For an inexpensive dinner your chapter can do a baked potatoe bar (everyone brings an item to go on the them 10 that I can think of) and usually the hostess provides the potatoes and elect some one to bring the chili or crock pots if your are into to that.

Another would be potluck Bunko night you could do a coed and invite significant others or gals night out. Charge $5 to $10 to put in the pool ($10 would be for the fundraising part). Pardon me if any of these were mentioned already I didn't read all of the postings.

edited to add:
Texas Hold em is a big thing out here now and I have been to a backyard movie night (need a projector hooked up to dvd or vcr) and a large white sheet works great for a screen. We collect $4-5 to cover the cost of the movie and snacks.

Last edited by bsp-mich24; 08-22-2005 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Spin the bottle and ho-train.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 08-23-2005, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

and how much do your charge to do your comedy routine, dionysus?
Old 08-23-2005, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Night at the Movie, get Animal House (Or something along the line of a Greek Thing), add pop corn and beverage!

See if You can compare any of the characters in the Movie.

Or for Grins, get "Blazing Saddles" funnier than all get out!

Free or charge a few bucks to pay for the event.

Cook out with special twist.

Do a Shrimp Boil, everyone bring 2 lb. of shrimp and do potatoes and salad for side. Do at someones house.

We do this every Homecoming at tail gate before the Game. Messy but damn good and fun!

LX Z # 1
Alumni