GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,145
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,500
3 members and 1,497 guests
Cranberry, Sciencewoman, Xidelt

Old 01-07-2005, 02:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by APhi Sailorgirl

I dunno, I can still remember being young and getting real food on a plane and the flight was only 2 hours.

but again

that was before it was "mainstream" to fly
I can rememebr when I was little and we dressed up to fly because it was such a big deal and you were of a different class if you were flying. Wasnt a big deal for us. My dad was a pilot for American for a time, but we still had to dress up. So crazy. To this day I still dress a bit to fly. Just feels wierd not to. Like going to church casual. I dont wear a suit to fly, but I'll wear pressed khakis and a nice button down.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:16 AM

When I was really little, my family and I would get dressed up to fly. Not anymore! It's jeans and t-shirt now. I want to be as comfortable as possible if I'm going to be sitting in the same spot for a few hours.

I can also remember when I was little visiting the pilots while en route. My dad brought me to the front where the stewardess lead me into the flight control room. The co-pilot showed me all the instruments and told me about his job. This would NEVER happen now in the post 9/11 days.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AXiD670
I wish they would come to Charlotte. And Tampa. That would be really convenient for me.
Southwest does fly to Tampa. No Charlotte, yet, but things may change if US Airways goes under.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 01-07-2005, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by APhi Sailorgirl
I just bought my spring break tickets through USAir because my dad wanted to used up all his miles from his usair visa (thankfully he's gotten a new credit card).

Both of my parents assure me that even if usair goes under the other airlines will honor the ticket in "some manner." Which means I'll get to my destination eventually.

As for the lower priced airlines, it's making flying more "mainstream." Not that i don't love being able to fly from boston to baltimore or south eastern va to visit pals for $100 round trip.

I dunno, I can still remember being young and getting real food on a plane and the flight was only 2 hours.

but again

that was before it was "mainstream" to fly
Be extremely careful - if those tickets are reward travel freebies you may be SOL if the airline tanks. There's no guarantee other airlines will honor a bankrupt airline's tickets if they've stopped operations.

Yea... gone are the days of meal service, well-dressed people and cockpit visits.

Old 01-07-2005, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaSigOU
Southwest does fly to Tampa. No Charlotte, yet, but things may change if US Airways goes under.
Well, I should have been more clear. The closest departure city for me to be able to fly to Tampa w/ Southwest is Raleigh. That's a 3+ hour drive. That's just not worth it for me. And Raleigh always has really weird departure times. So I just haven't been able to take advantage of Southwest Airlines yet.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by docetboy
What I find interesting is the heavy romancing DFW is giving Southwest now that Delta has dehubbed their operations and left almost an entire terminal empty...
No secret DFW wants SWA. But there's an 800-pound gorillAA who can't stand competition, especially if the Wright Amendment is repealed at Love Field. Likewise, DFW is offering Delta's abandoned gate space at very attractive pricing. Could also attract JetBlue, but they'd get an ass-kicking of titanic proportions from that certAAin AAirline in Fort Worth. And AirTran ain't gonna roll over and play dead, either.

(For those not familiar, the Wright Amendment was enacted in 1979 by former Speaker of the House Jim Wright. It prohibits any airline with aircraft that have more than 56 seats to sell tickets or through travel from Dallas Love Field to any destination beyond Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana and New Mexico. The later Shelby Amendment added Mississippi, Alabama and Kansas to the original states of the Wright Amendment.)

Old 01-09-2005, 12:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

God, for years, flew so many damn Airlines.

Rocky Mountain, Peidmont, Now USAir, Frontier, Ozark, TWA, Trans American, American, United, Braniff, SWAIR,and Delta!

God I hate Delta.

Many strange occurances, Ended up in Wash. DC instead of St. Louis, Got struck by lightening on American, Battery over heated on Frontier, TWA from Louisvile to St. Loo, plane broke,

Changed flights in JFK or would have been skyjacked with a friend from Chi Town.

God, I love to fly!

Only one to get a Bloody Marry on SW from Indy to KC! Not much B M mix in the glass! OOOH felt so good!!!!

LOVE SW AIR!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-09-2005, 02:32 AM
GreekChat Member

I've yet to suffer a bad experience flying on Southwest Airlines. They're probably the few - if not the only airline - that puts fun into the most mundane cabin announcements! If ya ain't got a sense o' humor, you ain't getting a job workin' for Chairman Herb. (Chain-smoking Merits and swilling Wild Turkey may earn ya a few brownie points... )

Having to do the "Southwest Shuffle" outta Love Field? I can live with it. Peanuts (and the occasional snack pack on long-haul flights) and drinks only? No problem with me. No inflight entertainment? Southwest Spirit magazine is a decent read.
No assigned seating? Get to the terminal EARLY for best seating.

The few times Southwest has had delays, they've been up front and told the reason why, instead of covering up with "technical difficulties".

Where else can you find an ex-Space Shuttle astronaut flying the line? Nowhere else but Southwest!

Now the other major airlines... with the exception of Continental, the others still suffer from an air of superiority, and it's biting them in the ass.

Old 01-09-2005, 10:59 AM

I flew American last week on my trip to London. It was on the new 777. Very impressive I must say. A monitor for every seat that is controlled by a remote in the arm rest. You can pick what movies, TV shows, or radio stations you want to listen to. There's even an in-flight tracker that lets you know where you are at all times. There were 2 meals throughout the flight plus snacks and they were pretty decent. A huge step up from my normal AirTran flights to Atlanta! Then again, you get what you pay for.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ZTAngel
I flew American last week on my trip to London. It was on the new 777. Very impressive I must say. A monitor for every seat that is controlled by a remote in the arm rest. You can pick what movies, TV shows, or radio stations you want to listen to. There's even an in-flight tracker that lets you know where you are at all times. There were 2 meals throughout the flight plus snacks and they were pretty decent. A huge step up from my normal AirTran flights to Atlanta! Then again, you get what you pay for.

How much was your fare? I'm assuming it was about 700$ this time of year?
Old 01-09-2005, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cashmoney
How much was your fare? I'm assuming it was about 700$ this time of year?
I don't know. My parents paid for it.

(it was a family vacation)
Old 01-09-2005, 11:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ZTAngel
I don't know. My parents paid for it.

(it was a family vacation)

ha! you're spoiled.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Damn, to once again be spoiled before I die!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-09-2005, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp

Only one to get a Bloody Marry on SW from Indy to KC! Not much B M mix in the glass! OOOH felt so good!!!!

LOVE SW AIR!
Yeah, tom, wasnt that flight outta indy at 8am? lol.