GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,582
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,470
1 members and 1,469 guests
MSKKG

Old 07-16-2003, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Great News! Congratulations.

As you may know, Bob Greene, the syndicated columnist for the Chicago Tribune Syndicate did much the same thing and published it years ago under the title, Be True To Your School. I don't know him, but he grew up about 10 miles from me and the same time (graduated HS the same year), and a lot of the stuff he talked about was stuff I either attended or heard about. Reading that book was really a lot of fun.

I'm sure yours will be, too.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MoonStar17
Hmmm as for the argument on who is better.....

NMB OR....

North Miami

will be a forever lasting debate...

but its cool that your having your reuinions in the same place...it would be funny if a lil rivarly was played out...

rivarly is all in good fun...you know im messing with you... i couldnt be prouder to have a south miami author write a book.....

CONGRATS! your great!
Old 07-17-2003, 01:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations!

Though Coral Park will always be #1 to me...
Old 07-17-2003, 02:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations!!! I've always wanted to write a novel! My first real job was working at a Barnes & Noble, my mom works in publishing, and I organized 2 massive book drives for 3 elementary schools through DG... maybe it's a sign I should actually follow up on my goal of writing a book! Congrats again!
Old 07-17-2003, 03:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations, I read the first couple of pages of the book on the website and I thought it was pretty good.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:15 AM
GreekChat Member

all of us who always said we would write a book...salute you.
congrats.
Old 07-17-2003, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to enlightenment06
Congratulations!

I'll wait for the soft-cover edition
Old 07-17-2003, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations!

Sidenote: I lived in North Miami Beach when I was between 1 and 3 years old. (Dad was finishing up with college) Are North Miami and North Miami Beach the same place?

I don't remember much except our apartment had seen better days (probably about 50 years before) and we used to go to (I think this is right) Hollover Beach every saturday
Old 07-17-2003, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Congratulations!

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 07-17-2003, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose
Congratulations!

Sidenote: I lived in North Miami Beach when I was between 1 and 3 years old. (Dad was finishing up with college) Are North Miami and North Miami Beach the same place?

I don't remember much except our apartment had seen better days (probably about 50 years before) and we used to go to (I think this is right) Hollover Beach every saturday
They're two separate cities; the rough dividing line between the two is NE 151st Street. Haulover Beach is still very much around, though a part of it is now a clothing-optional beach. Haulover Cut divides the island of Miami Beach from the mainland.

Back when I was living in the area, North Miami and NMB were predominantly white and Jewish, today NM is mostly Haitian.

MoonMyst17 may violently disagree with me, but I still think NM is a lot better! (I graduated from North Miami Senior in 1983, she's a Charger graduate, don't know what year though.)

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 07-18-2003, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations!!! I'm so glad to hear it is out!!

I'm going to my high school reunion this weekend - maybe I should take notes....
Old 07-18-2003, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaSigOU
They're two separate cities; the rough dividing line between the two is NE 151st Street. Haulover Beach is still very much around, though a part of it is now a clothing-optional beach. Haulover Cut divides the island of Miami Beach from the mainland.

Back when I was living in the area, North Miami and NMB were predominantly white and Jewish, today NM is mostly Haitian.

MoonMyst17 may violently disagree with me, but I still think NM is a lot better! (I graduated from North Miami Senior in 1983, she's a Charger graduate, don't know what year though.)
HMMM how to respond to this threadd......hmmm ok well for one...i know North Miami is mostly Haitian now, although i hear they have a magnet program that brings in other students, not by much though.

The thing I LOVED about NMB (chargers) was that it was VERY mixed culturally. I was friends with all different kind of people and that is what made it so unique, there were white and jewish from aventura area which fed into NMB and jamacians, haitians, caribean, latin, indian, chineese, japanese, international you name it we had it... i had the opprutunity to meet all kinds of people..and learn alot of things

BUT sad thing happened when I was a junior at NMB...they decided to build Krop Senior High on Ives Dairy road...a road that kinda seperates NMB (mostly lower middle to upper middle class) and Aventura ( a more wealthy white/jewish area)
when Krop was built the schools that fed into NMB became limited and the white/jewish and alot of hispanic kids ended up going to Krop and NMB became much like North Miami and predominetly minorities.

SOOOOOOOO when I was at NMB....North Miami was our rival....but with the addition of the new school Krop in a much closer area, Krop and NM are competing for rivarly...lol...NMB-ers commonly call Krop "Krap"

But all in all both schools have thier good qualities...but I am still and always will be a CHARGER class of 2000.

U know I luv ya AlphaSigOU...but you know how it is

LOL
Old 07-18-2003, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

That's true... I'd forgotten NM has that International Baccalaureate (IB) magnet school program; I forget what NMB's magnet is.

I've been told by faculty members and others that Pioneer pride isn't as strong as it was back when I was a student. Back in my day our famous Mr. Hudak used to make home movies documenting school activities, then edit them into a film at the end of the school year accompanied to popular music of the day. (Sadly, once Super 8 film went off the market (thanks to cheap camcorders), he ended the tradition in the 90s.)

Another prestigious award Mr. Hudak did was the Student Government Unsung Hero award; awarded to the student (not an SG officer) who performed outstanding service to Student Government. I was the 1983 recipient. The award is rarely, if ever given today. I still have the trophy to this day.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 07-18-2003, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

MoonStar or AlphaSig: if I got our NMB address from my mom, would either of you be able to give me an idea of what the area is like today? I'm curious and I know my mom would be, too!

Thanx
Old 07-18-2003, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose
MoonStar or AlphaSig: if I got our NMB address from my mom, would either of you be able to give me an idea of what the area is like today? I'm curious and I know my mom would be, too!

Thanx
Hey!
PM me with your address, ill do the best I can...I can always pass by and take some pics for you...
let me know