GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,336
3 members and 1,333 guests
Cookiez17

Old 04-16-2003, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Well this was a couple of years ago, and I've since graduated. I just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were on a situation like that. Thanks for the input
Old 11-15-2003, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't think that's normal. I don't see why you'd want to keep letters of an organization that you didn't want to be a part of. I love Sigma Kappa and couldn't even imagine disaffiliating, but if I were too-- It would have to be because my letters don't mean as much to me as they do, and to keep them or the pin or anything (esp something passed down from one person to another that would just be stopped) just sounds stupid.
Old 11-15-2003, 01:36 AM
ADPiZXalum

It is required by some organizations that upon termination of membership (by the sorority itself or by "de-pinning") the woman must forfeit her badge. I've seen huge problems on my campus with girls depledging, never becoming fully initiated members and not returning shirts, letters, or any other items given to them, and they continue wearing them, representing the sorority. That's a really tough situation. I too don't understand why someone would want to keep those letters when SHE chose to disaffiliate. ?????
Old 11-15-2003, 03:37 AM

Angry

expelled guys wearing my letters...grrr
Old 11-15-2003, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ADPiZXalum
It is required by some organizations that upon termination of membership (by the sorority itself or by "de-pinning") the woman must forfeit her badge. I've seen huge problems on my campus with girls depledging, never becoming fully initiated members and not returning shirts, letters, or any other items given to them, and they continue wearing them, representing the sorority. That's a really tough situation. I too don't understand why someone would want to keep those letters when SHE chose to disaffiliate. ?????
What she said.

We had WONDERFUL alumnae when I was an active, and the two times it happened (once a pledge, once an active), they paid a visit to the person in question, collected every bit of the lettered or crested material, and wrote out a check. They did NOT fool around!!
Old 11-15-2003, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by honeychile
they paid a visit to the person in question, collected every bit of the lettered or crested material, and wrote out a check. They did NOT fool around!!
I'm just curious, we require sisters who are deactivating to give back anything with letters on it. We don't pay them however, it is accepted that you buy the stuff and if you choose to deactivate, we recieve the stuff, and will later give it to new members or sisters who can't afford to buy letters. But we def don't reimburse, it was their choice to disaffilitate. (we do show up at their door and request memorabilia.)

Tau Love
lil E
Old 11-15-2003, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Little E
we do show up at their door and request memorabilia.
That's gangsta!
Old 11-15-2003, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Little E
I'm just curious, we require sisters who are deactivating to give back anything with letters on it. We don't pay them however, it is accepted that you buy the stuff and if you choose to deactivate, we recieve the stuff, and will later give it to new members or sisters who can't afford to buy letters. But we def don't reimburse, it was their choice to disaffilitate. (we do show up at their door and request memorabilia.)

Tau Love
lil E
And in a perfect world, they would turn it all over without a second thought, and you would never see a t-shirt or pin on ebay.

Our pin is NEVER bought back by the chapter - it is forfeited. However, the other stuff (mugs, t-shirts, etc) that the sister had purchased was what our alumnae paid for.
Old 11-15-2003, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to efcheerBB
A friend of mine has had to go through this situation at her school back at home. What about sisters who have had to disaffiliate because of their grades? They love their sisters but are not up to par with the GPA needed to remain active even after having working to get their grades up for a few semesters. Would you require them to return their letters and all of their memorabilia?

My friend wouldn't wear the letters since she is no longer active, but we were talking and she said that she plans on trying to become reactivated even though it might mean a very nice donation to her GLO. And when she became active again, she wants to be able to wear her shirts and all again.

(edited to add the last paragraph)

GO GREEN GO WHITE

Last edited by efcheerBB; 11-16-2003 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Murfreesboro, TN - It's Great .. to be .. from Middle Tennessee
We have had a big problem with guys wearing letters that disassociated. We just got chartered last week so up until then no one was initiated so there have been a lot of guys that had letters that quit before chartering and now still wear the letters. Personally when I see I want to go rip the shirt right off thier back and "politely" explain to them they have no right to our letters.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by efcheerBB
A friend of mine has had to go through this situation at her school back at home. What about sisters who have had to disaffiliate because of their grades? They love their sisters but are not up to par with the GPA needed to remain active even after having working to get their grades up for a few semesters. Would you require them to return their letters and all of their memorabilia?
I think that their letters should be given back because they are disaffiliated and for us at least, it's policy. I feel that Sigma Kappa gives you probation and enough warning to get your grades up and if you can't, even if they love the sorority and disaffiliate because of that-- they are not a member of the organization and regardless, should not wear the letters.

In my humble opinion of course.