GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,168
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,554
5 members and 1,549 guests
KDKells, navane, shadokat, UW_dawg, Xidelt

Old 04-08-2013, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

"More legacies than slots for them in their legacy chapters."
Old 04-08-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
I do think many groups will eventually end up with legacy being only mother and sister. IIRC I think someone posted a thread that shared all that information about different groups. I think DDD has gone to that which is a change from when I was in college.
This will probably happen sooner rather than later. And if there are chapters at smaller colleges, I'm sure that the new "non legacies" (granddaughters, etc) will still get a second look.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
This will probably happen sooner rather than later. And if there are chapters at smaller colleges, I'm sure that the new "non legacies" (granddaughters, etc) will still get a second look.
Do you think there will ever be tiered legacies? Like, mother or sister > grandmother, but grandmother is just a weaker legacy?
Old 04-09-2013, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Do you think there will ever be tiered legacies? Like, mother or sister > grandmother, but grandmother is just a weaker legacy?
I think it happens unofficially in some places already. When you have a giant number of legacies then I think some legacies get more attention depending on who they are related to and how involved or known that alumna is and that kind of influence.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
I think it happens unofficially in some places already. When you have a giant number of legacies then I think some legacies get more attention depending on who they are related to and how involved or known that alumna is and that kind of influence.
I suspect that being a “chapter legacy” (i.e. grandmother/mother/sister initiated at the same chapter), might carry more weight. And the closer the "link", the greater the weight.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I was a legacy to a chapter that had more than enough legacies to fill that year's pledge class (large SEC school). My sister was an active at another chapter at a small school elsewhere. I appreciated that they gave me a courtesy invitation to Round 2, but I knew they weren't a good fit, and they agreed with me and cut me early.

Neither my sister nor I felt slighted.

My roommate had an Aunt, Mother, and Grandmother who had all been in the same sorority *at that school* and she was released from that sorority the night before prefs. Understandably, when that happened all hell broke lose. I felt bad for her and her family. Until she was really nasty to me about my clearly inferior pref list the next morning, then all bets were off.

I think it's a matter of how the sorority handles it as much as anything. But I think Mom, Sis, Grandma, Auntie and such would be best served to bring up their legacies in a way that has them thinking of Panhellenic as a larger sisterhood...

Old 04-09-2013, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
We've discussed here on GC -- sororities potentially implementing a sort of tiered legacy system kind of like the ones that competitive universities use.

Ex: Bob the Princeton legacy whose dad is Super Donor and Member of Every Single Committee is given a sort of Super Legacy status over Billy whose dad's only Princeton-related activity is opening the Alumni magazine once a month.

Obviously I don't know to what degree other NPCs actually HAVE these policies, but I'm sure that an informal "tiering" of legacies happens all the time at the more competitive recruitment. For example, if you HAVE to leave room for non-legacy women, you need to make legacy cuts somehow. And when it comes down to Suzy whose mom hasn't lifted a finger for Chi since graduation and Samantha whose mom is a Life Member and past advisor, the choice is kind of obvious.

Also, I've seen it happen where the "higher" priority legacies are those whose relatives are from THAT chapter. So if there are 2 legacies and Suzy's mom is a Big Southern alumna and Samantha's is from West Vermont State, the higher level of consideration goes to Sammy.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 04-09-2013 at 05:55 PM.