GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,186
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,640
1 members and 1,639 guests
No Members online

Old 06-11-2014, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Can you improve your GPA and avoid probation through summer school? It might be too late for that now, however.
T

Last edited by kateee; 06-12-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Troll in the dungeon.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Your community college class won't improve your GPA.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is really the kateee we know. Carnation, do you know something we don't know?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 06-11-2014, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateee View Post
I wanted to retake my statistics class to improve my GPA and avoid probation but I didn't have the money and *they said I couldn't use loans to cover it.*
Right between the asterisks, AZTheta! Plus we've had to delete some of her recruitment posts.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Right between the asterisks, AZTheta!
I'm not trying to defend kateee or suggest that she isn't a troll, but it's common for students to deplete their student loan amount over the traditional academic year, leaving no funds available for summer school. As such, it's completely plausible for someone to have told her that her student loans wouldn't cover summer classes.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:44 PM
Banned

Very confusing thread.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Very confusing thread.
!!

Old 06-11-2014, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
I'm not trying to defend kateee or suggest that she isn't a troll, but it's common for students to deplete their student loan amount over the traditional academic year, leaving no funds available for summer school. As such, it's completely plausible for someone to have told her that her student loans wouldn't cover summer classes.
I've had that happen to me, but I just went and found private loans. No problem. (until it came time to pay).

I would recommend OP sit down and first decide how to organize this letter (unless there's some form I'm unfamiliar with, and this is a huge lane swerve). I'd recommend the following paragraphs:

I. Introduction, OP admits that she has fallen short of the standards, she would do well to mention the standard so that the reviewers know she knows where the mark is.
II. OP should explain what the mitigating circumstances are, i.e., why she failed to meet those standards. Discuss both the previous semester and the current semester. Include any exhibits you might have as evidence, e.g., doctor's notes, prescriptions, things which prove she was really sick and not missing class because XBox One was released and she finds TitanFall to be addictive. Here, she should also explain what she tried to this past semester (tutors, etc.) and why those didn't work. Provide documentation.
III. She should come up with a specific regimen for herself for next semester. She will then be on double-secret probation in all likelihood, so this should basically be the plan the sorority should adopt to ensure she succeeds this semester. I would recommend things such as not being allowed to miss a single class for any reason except for health (which must be documented with a doctor's note) or other emergencies which must be approved by someone in a position of authority; the use of tutors; retaking classes which have adversely impacted her GPA; the requirement. Whatever. She should come up with a plan and expect to be held to it.

I think that's a winning plan for such a letter. However OP organizes it, it needs to have those things.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-11-2014, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

And really guys, a troll? Unless someone has some specific information, that's just being paranoid. This is a pretty innocuous situation, no?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-11-2014, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
And really guys, a troll? Unless someone has some specific information, that's just being paranoid. This is a pretty innocuous situation, no?
I agree on the troll stuff. I think that kateee's situation, while unfortunate, is not uncommon. I don't know what she's posted that makes her sound like a troll. Has she overshared on the internet when she's super identifiable? Yes. Trolled us? Not in my opinion.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
As a former professor, I have never heard so many excuses.
Unless you know something we don't know, I found this to be a little rude. Having dealt with severe depression at one point myself, I know that it can be EXTREMELY debilitating and can affect a person to the point where he/she truly cannot get out of bed during the day. Yes, she did list many reasons for her grades to drop - but I don't think any of them were just completely invalid. It seems like all of the problems she had stemmed from two things - physical illness and mental illness. Katee, maybe instead of listing every single, specific problem you had this semester in your letter, you could just emphasize your physical and mental health and explain how those two things affected the other aspects of your life.

Katee, I would follow Kevin's advice about how to structure your letter and what content to put in it. I couldn't have said it better myself. I would also add that, in your letter, you need to accept some personal responsibility and explain how you will handle school, etc. if your health (physically and mentally) deteriorates again. The members of your sorority need to be assured that if you find yourself going through a rough patch again, you will be better equipped to handle it and your grades will not suffer as much.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I would recommend OP sit down and first decide how to organize this letter (unless there's some form I'm unfamiliar with, and this is a huge lane swerve). I'd recommend the following paragraphs:

I. Introduction, OP admits that she has fallen short of the standards, she would do well to mention the standard so that the reviewers know she knows where the mark is.

II. OP should explain what the mitigating circumstances are, i.e., why she failed to meet those standards. Discuss both the previous semester and the current semester. Include any exhibits you might have as evidence, e.g., doctor's notes, prescriptions, things which prove she was really sick and not missing class because XBox One was released and she finds TitanFall to be addictive. Here, she should also explain what she tried to this past semester (tutors, etc.) and why those didn't work. Provide documentation.

III. She should come up with a specific regimen for herself for next semester. She will then be on double-secret probation in all likelihood, so this should basically be the plan the sorority should adopt to ensure she succeeds this semester. I would recommend things such as not being allowed to miss a single class for any reason except for health (which must be documented with a doctor's note) or other emergencies which must be approved by someone in a position of authority; the use of tutors; retaking classes which have adversely impacted her GPA; the requirement. Whatever. She should come up with a plan and expect to be held to it.

I think that's a winning plan for such a letter. However OP organizes it, it needs to have those things.

I have/had 8 years of experience as an Academic Adviser at a major university. I dealt with students like kateee on a daily basis. In my professional opinion, nothing she is saying is out of the ordinary.

I am quoting Kevin's post because I think he put up a solid suggestion. It follows a key format: 1) Accept responsibility 2) Explain what happened 3) Describe what you plan to do to make things better in the future.

When my students faced having to write an appeal letter to the Dean, they often felt overwhelmed and struggled to find a starting point. I always suggested that they consider writing their narrative in something of a chronological format. "Back in fall 2013 this happened.....then in spring 2014 I attempted to......but by the end of the spring 2014 semester I found myself in this position........now going forward into fall 2014 I am planning to......" I found that writing in a chronological format helped many students to focus their statement and kept them from spiraling off into left field on some tangent.

True and Constant
Old 06-11-2014, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

One thing I also wanted to add to this was that there are resources for the OP. Katee, please consider registering with your campus disability services office. That office on your campus can be a great resource and you can possibly get special accommodations for taking exams and your school work if you have documentation that you suffer from a mental health condition such as depression or anxiety. Because Greek life membership is for life, I actually commend you for wanting to stay involved while bringing up your grades. Good luck.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with everyone who has been supportive of Kateee. I think you've been given some great advice, Kateee. I suffered from depression and anxiety in college, and my grades were awful for a couple years. Now I'm a Ph.D., full professor. I'm much more empathetic to the struggles and learning needs of students because of the challenges I overcame. The college years can be challenging for many students...support makes a big difference.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
.... random thought....
what kind of winterguard competes on Saturday morning?!

my competitions were always in the evening. I'm also intrigued as to what college has a competitive winterguard. I can only think of 2 around here. I wish UMass had a competitive winterguard when I was there.... sigh.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06