GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,161
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, BillWitt27
» Online Users: 1,011
4 members and 1,007 guests
Cookiez17, John, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 09-03-2003, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I just wanted to make a quick post while i was at the computer... i just cant stay away from message boards

Anyway, last night was fun b/c we got into our recruitment teams, and each one has a member of the Panhellenic council and Exec with you (basically Rho Chi's, but they changed the name this year). Our group is pretty small, has only about 7 girls in it, but everyone is pretty nice. Tonight our group is going out to a mexican restaurant for some bonding and chit chat.

Nothing really exciting going on so far!
Rush starts tomorrow at 720pm!
Old 09-03-2003, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck! My group didn't go out to a restaurant! Sounds fun!
Old 09-03-2003, 09:33 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by ilovemyglo
Hey girl!
I knew one of our LC's was from there a few years ago- her name is Kelly Barry and I loved her. We wanted to keep her, we even tried to hide things from her so she would have to come back! She loved her time in AGD and from what she said about the campus it is a great place and beautiful! I can't wait to hear your story.
Oh, and as for the junior and married thing, I know we had sisters that were married when they pledged and they were TREMENDOUS assets to the sorority!

Ohh, rush threads, why must you be so addictive!?
True that, Sarah...when I read Montevallo I immediately thought of Kelly. I met her at the 2001 convention and she was one of the sweetest girls I've ever met.

I know nothing about Greek life at Montevallo and how competitive rush is like over there, but with my chapter [located on a campus where rush is NOT too competitive!], being a junior and being married was not too big of a problem. One of my pledge sisters was both, and she too was such an asset to the chapter...and her husband was too!

Now, I'm not saying that the chapters will simply overlook that, but let them know that you're determined to become a part of a sisterhood, and hopefully they'll realize that too and they'll take action on that!

Best wishes on a fabulous rush for you!
Old 09-03-2003, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Not to be a downer or anything but I know my chapter has a policy regarding married people that isn't so favorable. I also don't think that we are unique in this regard. If a sister gets married before she is done with school then it means automatic alumnaship, aka she is no longer allowed to be active. Just a heads up in case any of the sororities you may be rushing have a similar policy.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:58 PM
Unregistered-

Is this a national rule?

I'm sure it addresses the issue of active married sisters in THE BOOK, but in my chapter, you are not forced to go inactive once you get married while a collegian. You are given THE OPTION to go alum. In Nancy's case, she was already married and was extended a bid. I've seen other sisters marry as juniors or seniors and stayed on until it was time to go into Senior Rededication.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

no no, not a downer at all. When i signed up i made sure that everything will be ok when i rush, and i even asked some members of the Pan council and they said i should have no problem. If there is a problem, then that is just the way things are and im taking that chance.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
So what is the schedule for rush week?
Old 09-03-2003, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure that KD has any policy against taking married members exactly as long as they can fulfill the obligations of membership, but they do have a policy that a chapter house must remain filled with members and members have an obligation to live there if necessary and no men are allowed in sleeping quarters. On my campus that wouldn't have been a problem, but at some with huge houses, I guess it could be. Good luck with your recruitment!
Old 09-03-2003, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jill1228
So what is the schedule for rush week?
well, Jill... since you asked

9/4
PNMs meet at 720p
Open House 1 - 8-820
Open House 2 - 830-850
Open House 3 - 9-920
Open House 4 - 930-950
Open House 5 -10-1020

9/5
PNMs meet at 630p
Casual Night 1 - 7-730
Casual Night 2 - 745-815
Casual Night 3 - 830-900
Casual Night 4 - 915-945
Casual Night 5 - 10-1030

9/6
PNMs meet at 8am
PNMs meet at 330p
Theme Party 1 - 4-450
Theme Party 2 - 505-555
Theme Party 3 - 610-700
Theme Party 4 - 715-805

9/7
PNMs meet at 8am
PNMs meet at 230p
Pref Night 1 - 3-4
Pref Night 2 - 430-530

9/8
PNMs meet at 330 for Pan Initiation
PNMs meet at 430 to receive bids
Old 09-03-2003, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine
Is this a national rule?

I'm sure it addresses the issue of active married sisters in THE BOOK, but in my chapter, you are not forced to go inactive once you get married while a collegian. You are given THE OPTION to go alum. In Nancy's case, she was already married and was extended a bid. I've seen other sisters marry as juniors or seniors and stayed on until it was time to go into Senior Rededication.
No, this is not a national rule for Alpha Chi Omega. Chapters may allow married pnm's to join. It is up to the individual chapters to extend an invitation to join or not.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

AXWHOAH, Please clean out your pm box!
Old 09-03-2003, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

AXO Mom, done! You can PM me now
Old 09-04-2003, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

We actually talked about this one day when I was in school with some girls from other chapters, seems Phi Mu has this rule, and I believe it may be national because my sister in law is a Phi Mu and she said she thought it was a national rule, not a local chapter deal. Dunno- maybe one of them could tell us?!

Facebook
Old 09-04-2003, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ilovemyglo
We actually talked about this one day when I was in school with some girls from other chapters, seems Phi Mu has this rule, and I believe it may be national because my sister in law is a Phi Mu and she said she thought it was a national rule, not a local chapter deal. Dunno- maybe one of them could tell us?!
I THINK that it might be, but I am not 100% sure. We had one of our girls get married last semester and she became an alum. So I don't know if that's personal preference or what. It might be if you have a baby then you have to go alum, I'm not totally sure though!
Old 09-04-2003, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
Julie, I hope you have a wonderful time! Good luck!

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003