GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,147
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, misskesha
» Online Users: 1,356
0 members and 1,356 guests
No Members online

Old 08-27-2013, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Stuff stuff stuff...(the Alpha sorority curse) ...la la la
Hmmm? What is this?

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 08-27-2013, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
Hmmm? What is this?

Wondering the same thing!
Old 08-27-2013, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

THE ALPHA CURSE!

Many chapters which folded had names which began with "Alpha".

Of course, many NPC sororities' names begin with "Alpha" - 9/26 - which to the logical mind explains it more than any silly "curse".

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 08-27-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Because there's some sort of logical explanation to a curse ever? Of course it's silly. And this comes from a true blue Cubs fan, so I know about curses.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, there's a logical explanation as to why so many of the chapters which folded began with "Alpha". Curses by definition defy logic . . . unless you are a Cubs fan, I guess!
Old 08-27-2013, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I heard it also became self-fulfilling...the tent talk would be like "Oh, Alpha Beta Gamma is gonna fold soon, there is a curse on the alpha chapters" and then PNM's wouldn't pick ABG, and then it would fold.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I heard it also became self-fulfilling...the tent talk would be like "Oh, Alpha Beta Gamma is gonna fold soon, there is a curse on the alpha chapters" and then PNM's wouldn't pick ABG, and then it would fold.
This. The Alphas kinda fell like dominos once rumors started swirling that the Alphas were in trouble. Rushees wouldn't take the chance, and soon there were no more Alphas at LSU.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Last edited by AOII Angel; 08-27-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ This ^^^
Old 08-27-2013, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the ladies of Alpha Chi and Phi Mu are just as attractive as any other group on campus. Both groups appear to be enthusiastic and seem to have great sisterhoods.

As far as the tradition with the "top" three groups that is somewhat true, but I think the success of AOPi in recent years has shown that new groups CAN succeed. I think it has definitely helped that AOPi has the nicest house on campus.

Once the new houses get nice shiny new sorority houses the will give the old guard a run for their money.

Together, let us seek the heights!
Old 08-27-2013, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

DubaiSis - I didn't say I agreed with any assessment, but if your people say RM is an issue for them and they make the decisions, then it's an issue for them. I think it is more situation of perception and threshold, not rumor or innuendo.

Do I think that the shenanigans are probably similar across the football conferences? You bet. I also have beloved sisters that will swear up and down that there was no way that the women at their alma mater could ever act in such a way. More than anything it's comical, perception and reality.

Either way, I can't wait to see how things go for Alpha Phi. Their recent efforts around the country are impressive. It's awesome and that's why I love volunteering for NPC.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyres&pearls View Post
I think the ladies of Alpha Chi and Phi Mu are just as attractive as any other group on campus. Both groups appear to be enthusiastic and seem to have great sisterhoods.

As far as the tradition with the "top" three groups that is somewhat true, but I think the success of AOPi in recent years has shown that new groups CAN succeed. I think it has definitely helped that AOPi has the nicest house on campus.

Once the new houses get nice shiny new sorority houses the will give the old guard a run for their money.
A house is key...which is a problem at Arkansas. Phi Mu and AXO will be fine. They have plans to make it work. It's a HUGE commitment. Not everyone is willing to make that commitment.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-28-2013, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Housing is definitely a problem at Arkansas, but there are restrictions in place now with regard to Greek housing. I do not have the specifics, but do know that no new groups will be allowed to live on their own independently owned housing. All must partner with the University. The terms and costs incurred by the new groups are not information I have but I do think it might be somewhat less of a financial burden now. I believe it has changed even since AOP came on campus and built their house. Someone correct me if I am not right.

I did hear when I was at Bid Day, that the Phi Mus have already begun plans to build between AOP and KKG. Not sure about AXO.

The housing concern on campus extends to the old guard as well. Large (heck, GIGANTIC) membership is causing housing strain on all groups. KKG's multi-million dollar renovation/remodel/rebuild is an example of trying to provide the needed facilities for the groups. And KKG owns both their land and their house which means that cost was theirs alone to bear.

Finally, the Theta thing is simply that Theta has been on campus previously and not succeeded. My personal opinion is that they were at Arkansas back in the day when Greek Life just threw you out there with a smile and you had to sink or swim. The help and support that Phi M and AXO seem to be getting from the whole Greek Community is very different from what I saw in the early 80's for Theta. Plus, they were housed on Frat row - disaster. So, no drama or intrigue with them - just a bad run.

I am sooooo hopeful that Arkansas can continue to grow their Greek system. There are so many great women on that campus.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatordeltapgh View Post
It doesn't matter. I remember that comment and its just the adult version of tent talk that is not only damaging, but makes things so much worse for any community. Theta is an awesome org, any campus would be lucky to have them as a guest. The way their leadership makes decisions about expansion is surely part of their larger strategic plan and that's good enough for me.

Thank you. It goes on here at Arizona, unfortunately, as well. Other alumnae and I have noticed negative comments about chapters being made by adults. It is ridiculous. Grow up. Where's the Panhellenic spirit in this type of behavior? We want the PNMs and actives to change, yet we model this type of behavior. OK. I get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
Housing is definitely a problem at Arkansas, but there are restrictions in place now with regard to Greek housing. I do not have the specifics, but do know that no new groups will be allowed to live on their own independently owned housing. All must partner with the University. The terms and costs incurred by the new groups are not information I have but I do think it might be somewhat less of a financial burden now. I believe it has changed even since AOP came on campus and built their house. Someone correct me if I am not right.

I did hear when I was at Bid Day, that the Phi Mus have already begun plans to build between AOP and KKG. Not sure about AXO.

The housing concern on campus extends to the old guard as well. Large (heck, GIGANTIC) membership is causing housing strain on all groups. KKG's multi-million dollar renovation/remodel/rebuild is an example of trying to provide the needed facilities for the groups. And KKG owns both their land and their house which means that cost was theirs alone to bear.

Finally, the Theta thing is simply that Theta has been on campus previously and not succeeded. My personal opinion is that they were at Arkansas back in the day when Greek Life just threw you out there with a smile and you had to sink or swim. The help and support that Phi M and AXO seem to be getting from the whole Greek Community is very different from what I saw in the early 80's for Theta. Plus, they were housed on Frat row - disaster. So, no drama or intrigue with them - just a bad run.

I am sooooo hopeful that Arkansas can continue to grow their Greek system. There are so many great women on that campus.
Thank you for your very informative post. Appreciate that it's factual and not perpetuating some decades old misperceptions. Again, we face the same issues at Arizona: HOUSING. But since this is about Arkansas, I won't derail yet another thread.

Maybe I will consider going back to Az. Maybe. Then again, maybe not.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-28-2013, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

As for Theta, I know things didn't go well in the past, but the student body at Arkansas has changed dramatically. Arkansas allows adjoining state students to pay in-state tuition if they meet some very mediocre academic standards. Arkansas is now flooded with kids from Oklahoma and Texas especially. These are states where girls would give their right arms to be Thetas at many schools. This could very well make Theta a desirable option for this huge contingent in the future.

As for the poster who said the new chapter will give the top tiers a run for their money - that's a bit idealistic. ALL of the chapters at Arkansas have superior members, huge memberships, and terrific collegiate experiences. None of that is what makes a sorority "top tier". That is all based on tradition and gossip and alumnae who won't let things die. The new groups are giving hundreds more girls the opportunity to be greek in a great system at a great school, but they aren't breaking down the traditional perceptions. That will never happen at Arkansas. People won't let it happen. And that isn't bitterness - I don't give a flying leap. Our chapter there is awesome, and I really don't care if Bitsy's 94 year old grandmother is knitting in her rocking chair telling her ABC friends that "well, they weren't there in aught 9."
Old 08-28-2013, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
. That will never happen at Arkansas. People won't let it happen. And that isn't bitterness - I don't give a flying leap. Our chapter there is awesome, and I really don't care if Bitsy's 94 year old grandmother is knitting in her rocking chair telling her ABC friends that "well, they weren't there in aught 9."
This visual made me laugh! But, Irish is right...however, I am inclined to blame the size of our state as much as the people. I don't think women are consciously keeping the tiers alive but this tiny state ( for reference, the whole state has a population the size of the St. Louis area) contributes to the problem.

You can play Six Degrees of Separation in every town and find someone who knows someone that you know- particularly if you went to the UA. So, by default, the traditional chapters and their reputations are more well known throughout the state simply because many of the citizens of arkansas either stay here after graduation or return here later in life.

People moving to the state from elsewhere go two places - Little Rock or Northwest Arkansas ( wal mart land) so there isn't a lot of opportunity for alumnae from other campuses to knock down those perceived reputations that are percolating in the gazillion small towns around the state. Then, those girls from those small towns head to the u of a and hear of groups they know nothing about or know very few adult women from those groups and the tiers continue...

My 2 cents...