» Online Users: 1,414
4 members and 1,410 guests
JayhawkAOII, John, Phrozen Sands

Old 01-17-2002, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: HELL NO!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by sphinxpoet

Good Point Frat! I would think though that Major and GPA work hand and hand a 2.5 in engineering is a lot harder to attain then a 2.5 in basket weaving(no offense to the basket weavers)!

Sphinxpoet
I agree wit cha on dat! That's why I say You have to look at the different circumstances that go with being a student. QUALITY!!!
Old 01-19-2002, 03:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to The Original Ape
Cool Some things to consider...

Although Scholarship is a virtue we all cherish, earning a 2.5 at one school is not the same as attaining a 2.5 at another. Some schools are more challenging than others; and I think this fact alone warrants leaving it as it is. Raising it too high can kill certain chapters.
Old 01-21-2002, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Fatto broke it down beyond the need to respond. I can only wholeheartedly agree with the brother.
Old 01-21-2002, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to The Original Ape
Cool I had to...

come back and give my bruhs some dap fa keepin' it real on this one! Fatto and AphiAce; I feel yall on what yall said. I get tired of seeing people perp like they all this once they get in, exploitin' the perks of membership without earning them.

Every time we had an informational(smoker), we'd get a boat load of dudes coming with borderline gpa's, and a handful with gpa's above the requirement. Many times, the dudes with the high gpa's would over-emphasize the fact; and it made many of us sick of it. Year in and year out, the bruthas that contributed the most to the chapter were the one's with the borderline gpa's. That is not to say dudes with good grades can't be good bruthas; it's just been the trend at our chapter.

I think the Greek Organizations are gonna cut their veins with this one. Raising the involvement requirement would better suit the chapters and increase retainable membership than raising the gpa standard.
Old 01-21-2002, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: I had to...

Quote:
Originally posted by The Original Ape
come back and give my bruhs some dap fa keepin' it real on this one! Fatto and AphiAce; I feel yall on what yall said. I get tired of seeing people perp like they all this once they get in, exploitin' the perks of membership without earning them.

Every time we had an informational(smoker), we'd get a boat load of dudes coming with borderline gpa's, and a handful with gpa's above the requirement. Many times, the dudes with the high gpa's would over-emphasize the fact; and it made many of us sick of it. Year in and year out, the bruthas that contributed the most to the chapter were the one's with the borderline gpa's. That is not to say dudes with good grades can't be good bruthas; it's just been the trend at our chapter.

I think the Greek Organizations are gonna cut their veins with this one. Raising the involvement requirement would better suit the chapters and increase retainable membership than raising the gpa standard.
To expound upon your post; aww just read the signature below!
Old 01-21-2002, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

From what I've read so far I presume the consensus is that most of the men feel that the GPA requirement shouldn't be raised and the women feel that it should. I'm not a member of an BGLO but I agree that it shouldn't be raised because a 3.0 doesn't determine and assure the quality of a potential member. I would love to hear more responses to see how ladies of greek chat feel about this particular idea. To the ladies who've already responded, what is your take on the responses from the men.
Old 01-22-2002, 04:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb Well...

I agree with what the men have stated...Because getting a 2.5 gpa at one school is much easier to get than at other schools. Also, it does depend on your major (as others have stated). Quality--not quantity--is what matters most...

However, it doesn't really matter b/c I believe each individual Chaper can set their gpa requirement above the 2.5 requirement (a member will correct me if I am wrong )...
Old 01-22-2002, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

My thoughts...

I feel that the minimum GPA requirement should not be raised. I attend a Big Ten school and my major is Computer Information Systems. Let me tell you, it's very hard to maintain that GPA. Furthermore, there are a lot of quality women with 2.5 GPAs. If we raised the GPA, a lot of people would be inelligible for membership and would have to wait until graduate (and GPA still matters for some alumnae organizations). Thus, the GPA requirement should remain the same.

DEL
Old 01-26-2002, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't believe that the GPA should be changed. Let's keep in mind that bad semester or bad freshman year and how we (especially me) worked hard, REAL hard to bring up GPAs. I also know many a student who had a tough time geeting through tose gen eds and once they hit the major classes it was all up hill!!!

But also, a student can have a 2.5 and be very well rounded and work very hard in extra curricular activities. A 2.5 is respsectable and great when all things are accounted for!!!
Old 01-28-2002, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Raise the Standard

I feel that a 2.5 is too low; it should be raised. In the case of my organization and chapter (Alpha Phi Alpha, Beta XI), how can you expect to recruit "the cream of the crop" when you let people with GPAs below a 3.0 gain admission. At my school, to be in the honor's program, you must have at least a 3.0. So why should anyone expect less. Set high standards and let people go after them.. If a person really wants something, they will do what they have to do... I went through a lot to get my letters and I do a lot of extra-curricular activities, and I still maintain a 3.8 as a graduating senior.. There should be "no excuses."
Old 01-29-2002, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I mean no disrespect "brother," but...

if I am correct, Beta Xi chapter is Lemoyne Owens College in Memphis, TN. I happen to know personally some of the troubles that your school is experiencing to the extent that it may cease to exist within the next 5 years. When you reach your 30's, hell even your mid 20's young brother let's see how much you boast about an honors degree from a college that you have to refer to in the past tense.

Let me set the record straight, I am not condemning your opinions, because, as I've stated before, I respect our brothers for their strong minds and willingness to speak out. But, what I do have a problem with is your limited view. You are representing a chapter/college that doesn't even require 800 on the SAT to gain admission. Should we start checking back to see what high schools our prospective candidates are from, how about go all the way back to their upbringing, and interview family members. Regardless of an aspirants present state, it is and will be your responsibility as a leader to recognize and acknowledge the potential in individuals and weight that against the initial investment that it will take to mold them.

Some of you that read this may think that I sound angry, you're damned right. Thoughts like that of yours Mr. Sazon are the cancerous element that must be cut out of our thinking. In one simple statement you are condoning the divide of our black males into social classes. I reiterate, it is the duty of the black male leaders on campus (Alphas) to tolerate, educate, and develop the young black males who take an interest in our organization. Not all of them will become Alphas, but that is still no excuse.

Every great man/woman was not born that way, rather there were a host of others who toiled endlessly, unselfishly to ensure their success.

P.S. Welcome to GC Sazon
Old 01-29-2002, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by fatto
if I am correct, Beta Xi chapter is Lemoyne Owens College in Memphis, TN. I happen to know personally some of the troubles that your school is experiencing to the extent that it may cease to exist within the next 5 years. When you reach your 30's, hell even your mid 20's young brother let's see how much you boast about an honors degree from a college that you have to refer to in the past tense.

Let me set the record straight, I am not condemning your opinions, because, as I've stated before, I respect our brothers for their strong minds and willingness to speak out. But, what I do have a problem with is your limited view. You are representing a chapter/college that doesn't even require 800 on the SAT to gain admission. Should we start checking back to see what high schools our prospective candidates are from, how about go all the way back to their upbringing, and interview family members. Regardless of an aspirants present state, it is and will be your responsibility as a leader to recognize and acknowledge the potential in individuals and weight that against the initial investment that it will take to mold them.

Some of you that read this may think that I sound angry, you're damned right. Thoughts like that of yours Mr. Sazon are the cancerous element that must be cut out of our thinking. In one simple statement you are condoning the divide of our black males into social classes. I reiterate, it is the duty of the black male leaders on campus (Alphas) to tolerate, educate, and develop the young black males who take an interest in our organization. Not all of them will become Alphas, but that is still no excuse.

Every great man/woman was not born that way, rather there were a host of others who toiled endlessly, unselfishly to ensure their success.

P.S. Welcome to GC Sazon
Good point fatto!

Not to stray from the subject at hand, but I do feel that once some African Americans attain what they deem to be the "American dream", they no longer feel the need to help those that they left behind. Why do we always have to try and "one up" one another? So many times we use things that are so unimportant.We have bigger issues on our hands.

If you don't think so, ponder this....

Why is the richest BLACK man an athlete?
Why is the 2nd richest BLACK man an entertainer?

In regards to the GPA issues, I read this statement on GC somewhere (can't remember who said it)......

WHAT DO YOU CALL A MEDICAL STUDENT WITH A 2.5 GPA?

DOCTOR...
Old 01-29-2002, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: I mean no disrespect "brother," but...

Quote:

P.S. Welcome to GC Sazon
THAT"S MY BOOOOOOOYYYYYYYY!!!!
Old 01-29-2002, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: I mean no disrespect "brother," but...

Quote:

I don't know about that. Many HBCUs are going through trials and tribulations. The rumor has always been out there that XYZ university in the next umpteen years will not exist because of blah, blah , blah... or ABC HBCU will get a "white" President, or SO AND SO university will become a Jr. College...or EFG university/college will be taken over by the "flagship university".

It was said before I went to college and it's still being said...and I haven't heard of any schools closing. (I'm speaking generally)

DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!

The same trials and tribulations the HBCUs are going through, the non-HBCUs are experiencing the SAME thing, but it is not being reported!

Last edited by AKA2D '91; 01-29-2002 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-29-2002, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Get your Minds Right

My mislead brothers.. The situation my school is going through is a sad one, yet, our school will more than likely not close anytime soon. Let me ask you a question son! How many leaders do you know that have graduated with a degree from LeMoyne-Owen, not to mention with an honor's degree. Many prominent leaders in Memphis, and the Nation have come from the school "that doesn't require an 800 on the SAT." I'll let you research that... Allow me to help you out a little. Two of them are: the mayor of Memphis, W.W. Herenton, and Councilman Myron Lowery.. You say that the GPA should not matter, but then you are implying that our school requirements are too.. You come off hypocritical my fellow brother... Work on that... On another note.. Trust you me, my GPA is not misleading... Do you honestly think that I would say all those things about grades and honors f I don't have my agenda straight? Think again... Not only do I have the grades, but I have the connections, extra-curricular activities, volunteerism, and well, you should get the point...

You said: "Regardless of an aspirants present state, it is and will be your responsibility as a leader to recognize and acknowledge the potential in individuals and weight that against the initial investment that it will take to mold them."

Well my fellow brother, does that not include institutions of higher education? Do we have to wait until they decide to pledge to worry about that, shouldn't we give them the opportunity to mold them out of high school for those that cannot because of several reasons not attend a "University?" LOC may be small, but you learn more, whereas, a bigger institution provides a bigger, well-known name, which is respectable, but so? Check this analogy: pretend LOC is a small business, and a university is a corporation. Most corporations get their "great ideas" from smaller companies (small business). Meaning, they have their value just the same if not more...

Watch that "Ether" family...

I say this as if I were talking about a family member.. I can talk about my family any way I want, but you cannot... I get upset when people talk about my school without knowing the facts.. Please don't take offense, I am merely defending my school...

Uphold the light properly people..

Peace and Love,
Sazon

That's for stating an important fact AKA2D '91, much love mami...