GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,391
1 members and 1,390 guests
John

Old 08-15-2008, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Lil_ChiO_Lady
It's really annoying to me how some Recruitment Counselors are so pushy when a PNM is in a situation involving dropping out and told to "hang in there"...If you truely don't feel at home somewhere, then you should seek out other alternatives.The RC's are there to give advice and support to the PNM, and also give them options. It's not the end of the world if you don't recieve a Bid.
Psi Zeta Chapter
Old 08-15-2008, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quota

Almost over!! Anyone heard what quota is at either Auburn or Alabama?
My next door neighbors daughter is going through at Bama and she said it is 81- I couldn't beleive it, is that true?
Old 08-15-2008, 07:36 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseemom View Post
Almost over!! Anyone heard what quota is at either Auburn or Alabama?
My next door neighbors daughter is going through at Bama and she said it is 81- I couldn't beleive it, is that true?
Well, quota at Auburn last year was 57.

Quota at 'Bama was 80 last year. So 81 sounds about right.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

"Ditto!! My daughter pledged at Auburn last fall after an emotionally traumatic rush week. (Don't get me started on that story!) She was pushed into pledging by an overly zealous Pi Chi, and it was probably a mistake. She's a bit happier now, but probably would have been better off to COB after formal rush when she could take her time and make a more rational decision."

If my pushy recruitment counselor hadn't talked me into continuing with my rush then I never would have found my home that I loved! Also, no one dragged this girl through rush in shackles. She could have listened to the counselor and stood her ground and quit when she felt it was the right thing to do. I have a feeling there is more to the story....
1.Only wanted certain sororities..thus the emotional rush week.
2. Didn't want to be a part of lower tier sorority...reading through the lines, could be wrong here.
3. Thinks she could have done better through COR.....risky move and not likely at Auburn.
The counselors have a tough job. They have been disaffiliated since May, their days are really, really long and boring (longer than PNM's), they are dealing with super emotional teenage girls, they don't get to sleep in their own beds at night (unlike the PNM's), and some of them have to deal with Prima Donna's. I salute these young women for making such a sacrifice in order that your daughter may have guidance and a shoulder to lean on while they navigate this crazy thing called rush.

Last edited by awkward1; 08-15-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awkward1 View Post
"Ditto!! My daughter pledged at Auburn last fall after an emotionally traumatic rush week. (Don't get me started on that story!) She was pushed into pledging by an overly zealous Pi Chi, and it was probably a mistake. She's a bit happier now, but probably would have been better off to COB after formal rush when she could take her time and make a more rational decision."

If my pushy recruitment counselor hadn't talked me into continuing with my rush then I never would have found my home that I loved! Also, no one dragged this girl through rush in shackles. She could have listened to the counselor and stood her ground and quit when she felt it was the right thing to do. I have a feeling there is more to the story....
2. Didn't want to be a part of lower tier sorority...reading through the lines, could be wrong here.
3. Thinks she could have done better through COR.....risky move and not likely at Auburn.
The counselors have a tough job. They have been disaffiliated since May, their days are really, really long and boring (longer than PNM's), they are dealing with super emotional teenage girls, they don't get to sleep in their own beds at night (unlike the PNM's), and some of them have to deal with Prima Donna's. I salute these young women for making such a sacrifice in order that your daughter may have guidance and a shoulder to lean on while they navigate this crazy thing called rush.

Well said, awkward1.

Rho Chis, Pi Chis, Gamma Chis, etc., do act in the best interest of all of the PNMs. They know that many chapters at SEC schools do not COB, particularly the "more popular" (hate those words) houses.

Moms, don't beat up on them and feel they are out to ruin your D's lives. They have a very hard job.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_ChiO_Lady View Post
It's really annoying to me how some Recruitment Counselors are so pushy when a PNM is in a situation involving dropping out and told to "hang in there"...

Something to think about:

I think that alot of Recruitment Counselors at big SEC schools are not neccessarily trying to be "pushy" but they just want the PNMs to stick it out because in reality (as freshmen at schools like Bama/Ole Miss/LSU/etc), this may be their only opportunity to receive a bid.

At some of the more competitive SEC schools, there is little to no opportunity for COB and the chances of going through again as a sophomore and getting a bid are also very slim.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-15-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Are flowers appropriate? And does anyone have the place and number in Auburn that puts the flowers together?
Old 08-15-2008, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Flowersmiths is downtown and knows the flowers of all of the sororities. They also deliver to the dorms. Their phone number is 334-887-8553.

Heartstrings is a good place to get Greek stuff.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Awkward, I agree 100% with your post. My daughter had a wonderful PiChi this week. She, and her group, adored her very much, and she was such big help to them during this stressful week.

I called the flower shop, FlowerSmith, I believe, this afternoon. They will be open tomorrow only until 12:00. The lady I talked to said she's been doing "this" 47 years, and it's appropriate (but not necessary) to take a few stems of flowers tomorrow, but that a big gift (I think she meant flowers, haha) would be more appropriate next week when they're more able to enjoy them.

Heartstrings will be CRAZY tomorrow, according to clerk there. They will take orders up to bid time that will be delivered to dorms only on Sunday. Off-campus girls will be called and told they have a gift but will have to go themselves to the store to pick them up.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awkward1 View Post

I totally agree that Pi Chi's have a tough job, and one of the hardest things they might have to do is talk a PNM through a tough situation in order to find her own solution....especially if the PNM reaches a decision different from the one the Pi Chi thinks she should make. "Pushy" shouldn't be a part of the job description! BTW.....this particular former PNM is about the LEAST prima donna-ish young woman you'd ever meet!
Old 08-16-2008, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

One last update on my girl...

My daughter did drop this afternoon after pref parties but before they did the final rankings. She said her Pi Chi was great and very supportive and understanding. She told me she was ready to be around some boys for a while - lol- so she is hanging out with some friends tonight and seems to be fine. In fact, she said it felt like 500 lbs was lifted off her. She knows that her chances at a COB are slim to none and she's fine with that but right now she is still interested in the new chapter, Theta? Who knows, by then she may be so strapped for time with her crazy class schedule that she will change her mind.

She's already talking about some club on campus she wants to join and maybe try out for Tigerettes or the basketball hostess (forgot what cute name they had) or a bunch of other stuff. She will be okay. I know she will and I know that greek or not, rush week was a good experience for her and a great way for her to meet people and learn her way around campus a little bit, and maybe learn a little something about herself. She has talked about doing this rush since she was a junior in high school. She was really excited about it but in the end it just didn't fit her like she thought it should.

Thank you all for the kind messages this week, it has been a long, strange week for sure. Her roommates are still in it so I will update on them next week. One is suiciding tri delt (legacy) and I don't know about the other. Another good friend who just transferred to AU got dropped from her last group today before prefs. Another local girl who was a freshman rush at Bama was dropped by all houses either today or yesterday, another mom I spoke with told me today - her husband is a colleague of the girl's dad. I was surprised by that one, she is a cookie cutter sorority girl for sure. But like we've seen this week, you just never know and the competition is mad tough!
Quote:
Who is 'Hair Spray Mom'??? I completely missed this!
LMAO! Its a lady I saw at the hair salon on Tuesday who was going into fits because her baby didn't get invited back to her top 2 after the 1st cuts. She didn't shut up about it the entire time I was there - which was a long time because I got highlights! I mentioned her somewhere in this post or the Bama post or the SEC post, somewhere.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh I meant to add that for those of you looking for gift shops for tomorrow, my daughter got some flyers in with her registration packet, one of the flyers had a 20% off coupon so I sent it down to Auburn with her and I certainly don't remember the name of the place but I kept a couple of the others because they had phone numbers on them in case I needed to get something.

Check It Out has letters, balloons, flowers, gifts, etc and they deliver. This flyer doesn't say anything about having to have it pre-ordered like Hearstrings does and they have a website - www.check-it-outballoons.com and their phone is 334-826-0308.

Heartstrings phone is 334-887-7447 if you call them early tomorrow you might could still get something. They are delivering on campus Monday.

And if you have that registration packet, my d's just came a few weeks ago, go find that one flyer with the 20% off coupon!
Old 08-16-2008, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnMom08 View Post
My daughter did drop this afternoon after pref parties but before they did the final rankings. She said her Pi Chi was great and very supportive and understanding. She told me she was ready to be around some boys for a while - lol- so she is hanging out with some friends tonight and seems to be fine. In fact, she said it felt like 500 lbs was lifted off her. She knows that her chances at a COB are slim to none and she's fine with that but right now she is still interested in the new chapter, Theta? Who knows, by then she may be so strapped for time with her crazy class schedule that she will change her mind.

She's already talking about some club on campus she wants to join and maybe try out for Tigerettes or the basketball hostess (forgot what cute name they had) or a bunch of other stuff. She will be okay. I know she will and I know that greek or not, rush week was a good experience for her and a great way for her to meet people and learn her way around campus a little bit, and maybe learn a little something about herself. She has talked about doing this rush since she was a junior in high school. She was really excited about it but in the end it just didn't fit her like she thought it should.

Thank you all for the kind messages this week, it has been a long, strange week for sure. Her roommates are still in it so I will update on them next week. One is suiciding tri delt (legacy) and I don't know about the other. Another good friend who just transferred to AU got dropped from her last group today before prefs. Another local girl who was a freshman rush at Bama was dropped by all houses either today or yesterday, another mom I spoke with told me today - her husband is a colleague of the girl's dad. I was surprised by that one, she is a cookie cutter sorority girl for sure. But like we've seen this week, you just never know and the competition is mad tough!

LMAO! Its a lady I saw at the hair salon on Tuesday who was going into fits because her baby didn't get invited back to her top 2 after the 1st cuts. She didn't shut up about it the entire time I was there - which was a long time because I got highlights! I mentioned her somewhere in this post or the Bama post or the SEC post, somewhere.
AuburnMom08, Kudos to your daughter for being true to herself if she wasn't able to find the right fit during rush. Sounds like both of you have a great perspective on the situation. If she decides that she wants to try COB, please encourage her to look into it. Contrary to what some have said, there were at least three very strong groups at Auburn who were under chapter total despite making quota, and they pledged girls after formal rush ended last fall & spring. Of course this year could be different, but who knows?
Old 08-16-2008, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

auburnmom08, with a mom like you, i have no doubt that your daughter will thrive at auburn, whether she participates in greeklife or not. i hope that she does look into cob and the colonization of kappa alpha theta if that still peeks her interest when the time comes.

i was the general advisor to a nearby zta colony and i got to witness firsthand what a unique experience being a colonist is. i am glad that your daughter is looking into campus organizations and clubs. it will enhance her college experience and look great on her resume.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Awww, AuburnMom08

And don't forget - Kappa Alpha Theta will be coming on later, and it may be that she is meant to be a Theta! Best of luck to her.