Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 816
0 members and 816 guests
No Members online

Old 12-04-2003, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Community Service for the Hell of It

Does anyone like doing community service in their spare time simply because they enjoy it and not because they have to?

For me, I enjoy participating and raising money for the Walk for Diabetes and Race for the Cure every year. I also am a Humane Society volunteer (and soon to be foster parent for kittens and cats when my sister moves out) here, as well as a Hospital volunteer. When things get less hectic for me I'd like to join a local CASA chapter here to help out at fundraising events or the office(since I wont have time to dedicate to being an Advocate )
Old 12-08-2003, 08:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I do like doing community service. What community service I do, I usually end up counting as service hours for AXiD or PSP, but the things I do are things I'd do on my own, anyway. I've volunteered at several animal shelters, and I intend to keep doing that wherever I am. I wouldn't mind being a foster mommy for kittens/cats/dogs/puppies, once I get my own apartment - I've done it before with kittens and they were just so sweet!
I'm also involved with an environmental group on my campus, and I guess a lot of things I do with them could be considered community service, like the annual "clean up the campus" day.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I normally help with activites for the Adopt-Ohio program with foster kids. Things like wrapping presents at Christmas, etc is what I love to do. Plus, since my bio sister is one of the main people who runs it for our area I can chalk up my community service hours for my major also.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
A big part of the reason I joined a sorority is because I wanted to make time to do community service and philanthropy, so it never feels like I HAVE to do anything.

I do wish I had more time to volunteer for more, but I'll be looking into stuff when I graduate in May. Any suggestions?

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 01-09-2004, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by astroAPhi
A big part of the reason I joined a sorority is because I wanted to make time to do community service and philanthropy, so it never feels like I HAVE to do anything.

I do wish I had more time to volunteer for more, but I'll be looking into stuff when I graduate in May. Any suggestions?
Yes! Hospitals are almost always looking for volunteers. Ther are also different hospitals you can look into, if you like children, try a children's hospital like Shriners, if you like veterans, you can try a VA hospital, if you enjoy working with elderly you can try a nursing home, or if you have no specific preference you can do a regular hospital and they will place you somewhere in there. I volunteer 8 hours and sometimes mroe than that depending, a week at a regular hospital in my town here in the surgery dept. and I love it.

Humane societies in every town are highly dependent on volunteers in order to function. If you love animals in particularly dogs and cats then that is an option, and you can set it up for regular hours or whenever. I volunteer there too You can also choose to just volunteer for fundraisers if you choose not to work with animals directly.

There are also local community things that always need volunteers like the Komen Race for the Cure, the MS walk, Walk for Diabetes, Arbor Day, Children's Festivals etc.

Another thing is that you can volunteer for your sorority's philanthropy in your area if possible(which continues to set a good example for undergraduate as well as other alums in your group).

Just ideas
Old 07-21-2004, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Ive been a part of Big Brother for a while and its a really good time. I also helped out with the special olmypics this summer (although not entirely by choice) but Iit was such a good time that I put myself down as a volunteer for next year too.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I volunteer each year for the City of Montgomery. I work at the 4th of July festival and the Bastille Day festival. I've also done other volunteer operations and special events for Montgomery. It's a great way to get connections within your part of the world.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I live volunteering at Inspiration Cafe...

This is not a traditional soup kitchen where people wait in line and get food plopped on their plates. Instead they are seated at tables and volunteers take their orders and bring the food to them. It's a great place!
Old 08-06-2004, 06:24 PM
peanutttu

I am a volunteer for the Muscular Dystrophy Association. I've been going to the week long summer camp for the past 7 years. I started going when I was a jr. in high school and I've been going back every year. The summer camp is for kids who have MD ranging in age from 6-21. It is such a life changing and rewarding experience.

Before I graduated, I volunteered in the local MDA office with fundraising as well as assisting with other necessary things that needed to be done.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
I used to volunteer in high school. Mainly because it was a graduation requirement. But I had fun during those few summers that I worked. I was a camp councelor assistant at a Bible Day camp at a local church. It was fun most of the time. I just remember one year, the councelor I was working with couldn't control the group of kids we had. So they ran me ragged. I had quite a few bruises from being jumped on, grabbed and dragged (by 8 year olds no less!) etc. But I still had fun!

I tried to organize a Walk for Diabetes last year when it was in Sacramento. I couldn't get a group together in time though. I used to do them when I was little.

Now that I am out of college, I am always looking for something new to do. So I am volunteering for The Bubel/Aiken Foundation. Their focus is creating awareness for kids with special needs and starting programs of inclusion at local YMCAs. (And yes, the Aiken is who you think it is...)
Right now the current project is a gift wrapping fundraiser that is taking place in (almost) all 50 states in various cities during the holidays. I am in charge of the whole state of California. (WOO-HOO!) So if anyone wants to volunteer and wrap gifts, send me a PM. (This includes out of Cali residents. I can forward you on to the correct people.)
Old 08-14-2004, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sairose Send a message via Yahoo to sairose
I participate in Relay For Life every year.

I am also looking into volunteering with the Petco pet adoption program.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
Post "We are but a moment's sunlight / Fading in the grass"

After I became my colony's Philanthropy Chairman last year, I became really involved with one of our service projects, the Eating Disorders Coalition of Tennessee (http://www.edct.net), which works to create eating disorders awareness and prevention. It is a grassroots organization, and I am part of their Community Development Network (main Memphis organizers; there are about 10 of us).

Even though I am no longer Philanthropy Chairman, I am still working with the EDCT. My advice for people who are interested in advocacy is to find something you are passionate about (ie, helping people struggling with eating disorders) and work on the grassroots level. It is a great way to get involved!
Old 12-19-2004, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sairose
I participate in Relay For Life every year.
I've done Relay for Life and Race for the Cure...both are so much fun and support such a great cause!
Old 12-19-2004, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I really enjoy volunteering. There is something about it that makes the time seem very worthwhile. I volunteer with the local domestic violence shelter that serves my county, and I am also an emergency response volunteer, so if someone is assaulted, I go to the hospital with them as an advocate.

I am also going to begin training for the CASA program soon to become a case worker (Thetas, what a noble philanthropy!). Sometimes, if I have some extra time, I will volunteer at the soup kitchen my church runs or with their Angel tree program, etc.

The project that I am really excited about is coordinating a blood drive for the American Red Cross. Has anyone ever done this before? My chapter did this in college, but I wasn't really that involved with that particular project besides being a donor or handing out fliers, etc. So if anyone has any good PR ideas for it, I would be really appreciative!

I have to limit myself now because I am one of those girls that hears about something new, and I am like, sign me up. So three is a new, self-imposed limit.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I work for a land grant institute which amoung its many focuses it to provide outreach to communities. Each county has a local county extensions and here in washington there is a lot of work in the environmental field. I enjoy teaching others about environmental issues and getting outside and helping to restore the environment. I also worked for 4-H, which is supported my the county extensions throught the land grant colleges.

Besides that i love to volunteer. I try to do as much as i can like habitat for humanity and race for the cure (since breast cancer can be caused by environmental factors it is related to my biology degree).

I joined a sorority cause i wanted to join with people who wanted to community service. I personnally think that it was the backbone of my chapter.

debbie