GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

» GC Stats
Members: 326,186
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,550
0 members and 1,550 guests
No Members online

Old 06-26-2001, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Interesting Book

Hey...there's this book called "Girls on the Verge" that I just finished reading it. I really liked it...it talks about various rites of passage experienced by young American women...everything from Sorority Rush to gang initiations. I thought this book was pretty good. Not a serious sociological study, but I'm trying not to be too much of an intellectual this summer.

The writer discusses Sorority Rush at UCLA...she infiltrated it, and you just have to read the rest. If this sounds familiar to anyone, an excerpt was in Jane.
Old 06-26-2001, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Serenity
Thumbs up

You sure are reading a lot this summer, huh!?! Me, too! It's my favorite pastime. I'll have to check out "Girls on The Verge", especially since it isn't "a serious sociological study". It is summertime after all!
Old 06-27-2001, 05:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey another good summer read

Shes Come Undone...

very good..was on oprah
Old 06-27-2001, 08:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax
And another...

The Red Tent by Anita Diamont

Feminism in biblical times.
Old 06-27-2001, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Serenity
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by PinkStar17:
Hey another good summer read

Shes Come Undone...

very good..was on oprah
Excellent book! Have you read Wally Lamb's other book, "I Know This Much Is True"? It's soooooo good.

------------------
Sigma Lambda Upsilon: Sincerity, Loyalty, Unity http://www.sigmalambdaupsilon.org
Old 06-27-2001, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Serenity-
i havent read that one but thanks i needed a good book to read... im gonna go get it
ill let u know how it turns out..
Old 06-27-2001, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
A GREAT read is the OUTLANDER series by Diana Gabaldon. I am rereading it now, and as absorbed as I was the first time.

From Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...939971-4324709
The novel begins in the year 1945, and the plot revolves around the adventures of Claire Randall, an Englishwoman and combat nurse during World War II, who is reunited with her husband, Frank, after the war. While on a second honeymoon in Scotland, she visits a strange flat topped hill in the highlands of Scotland, where a forbidding stone circle draws her. Touching one of the stones, she is hurled through a vortex in time and finds herself in eighteenth century Scotland.

There, she meets James Fraser, a brave and brawny Scotsman, and finds herself thrust into the midst of clan warfare and intrigue. Finding in Jamie a soulmate, she falls passionately in love, but is conflicted because of the feelings she harbors for the husband she left behind. She goes on, however, to have enough adventures to last a lifetime. What happens to these star crossed lovers in eighteenth century Scotland is riveting.

I swear the problems I have dating are because I'm half in love with Jamie Fraser! ha ha

Anyway, there are 4 books in the series, Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager and Drums of Autumn. The fifth is due out in October--so if you start now, you'll be done in time as each book is 800 plus pages.
Old 06-28-2001, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

One of the best books I've ever read was THE NOTEBOOK.(Same writter as Mesage In A Bottle)
It will stay with you for DAYS. It is a story of INCREDIBLE love and devotion. Oh, just thinking of it makes me want to cry. It's not a one or two hanky, it's the whole darn box!
Old 07-12-2001, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
I recommend The Rescue by Nicholas Sparks (the guy who wrote Message In A Bottle)

***Note: see how bored I am at work that I have to dig up old posts to entertain myself?***
Old 07-12-2001, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I just finished reading "Confessions of a Shopaholic" which was hilarious. Another good beach book is "Beach Music" by Pat Conroy.
Old 07-12-2001, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before, but two of my favorite books are "The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood", and "Little Altars Everywhere", by Rebecca Wells. They are totally girlie reads. Another great summer girly book is "Summer Sisters" by Judy Blume. I guess she doesn't just write kid's books anymore. There kind of old, like 2 or 3 years, but are definitley worth checking out.

"She's Come Undone" is sooooo awesome. I'll have to check out the other one!

Happy Summer!
Missy

------------------
"To the world I promise temperance and insight and courage...."
Old 07-12-2001, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RedHotChiO:
I just finished reading "Confessions of a Shopaholic" which was hilarious. Another good beach book is "Beach Music" by Pat Conroy.
I just finished reading Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason and am now starting "Confessions of a Shopaholic". I am just into chapter two, but it seems funny and good so far. Its just a nice relaxing book to read when i have spare time
Old 07-13-2001, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Anyone else have any recommendations for a beach book? I leave for mexico on sunday and i know i'll read on the plane ride down and back plus when i'm on the beach - so i'll need at least 3 books (i love to read!)
Old 07-13-2001, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

OK, I will admit it,

I am hooked on Harry Potter. I'm such a dork. But if you have not read all of them, I suggest you start. I read all four books last summer in 3 weeks. That was all I could do. I couldn't stop reading.