» Online Users: 1,140
1 members and 1,139 guests
John

Old 11-09-2004, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDPixie Send a message via Yahoo to KDPixie
Question

Hey everyone

I have a quick question. Does anyone know how going inactive works? I am considering it because I am overwhelmed this semester and need a break, and because my grades have slipped due to how much I was putting into Kappa Delta, and also to get my finances in check. My chapter requires so much, even our national officer has told us to chill out with the amount of required hours we have, but still, we have so many (2 social hours, 2 Open recruitment events, 2 cudgel hours for our St. Pats tradition, ritual, and then they require things like workshops and fundraisers throughout the month, as well as Greek Week hours months ahead of time) But, I really do not want to go completely inactive, because I just got two little sisters, one of which has moved away, but I am very excited for next semester, and even want to be an officer. However, I am also wanting to move out of house due to some personal issues and was denied by our house corp.

It is a really weird situation, and I am not really wanting to talk to people here, because girls tend to get offended at their sisters if they go inactive, and usually the inactive girls quit after they are inactive. For a few girls inactive this semester, there has been some gossip about them and really hurtful things said, such as them not putting Kappa Delta first. Our council is trying hard to stop this, but I am afraid if I go inactive, it will ruin KD for me. I also worry I will not be as close to the girls, unless I would be allowed to come over more, and thats what I want to ask about. If I go inactive, what sort of things with KD am I allowed to do, and what am I not allowed to do? I am trying to weigh it all out. I also would like to be a Recruitment counselor, but if I go inactive, I cant, right? Sorry for the long post...

Thanks!

AOT
Kristen
Old 11-09-2004, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, gonna try to answer your questions, there's a lot going on in that post.

First, the basics of going inactive (which can also totally depend on your chapter), in my chapter those who went inactive applied for it at the beginning of the semester. Usually it was people with a very demanding schedule. We only had so many spots, because we had to keep numbers up.

It does sound like you're in over your head. However, that may also be due to poor time management on your part (but I have no clue, as i'm not you and don't know you IRL )

If you think that your chapter is overprogrammed (which many many chapters are) - what have you done to address this yourself? Have you talked to your council? have you talked to your CAB? Have you talked to the national officer to whom you are referring?

You say you want to go inactive, but not totally, and even want to be an officer? I'm not sure how much this makes sense. If you are having this much trouble with your time management, studies, and finances, being an officer is not going to help your situation. Being an officer is a HUGE time investment and it really doesn't sound like it would be appropriate or wise.

As for moving out of the house, you signed a contract, and it's no different from signing a lease. You're stuck. I don't know your personal reasons, but if you become an officer you'd have to live in the house anyway. You made a contract to your sisters, and you have to uphold that.

You SHOULD go to your council, they're the ones that make decisions. Voice your concerns- overprogramming, etc. Make a case for your situation, perhaps there is something that can be worked out. You can also find out more about how inactivity works in your chapter.

If you go inactive, yes, you won't be bonding with sisters as you would as an active. Being inactive, you can't go to social events (like mixers, date parties, formals, etc) unless by special vote. You're not around for the day to day stuff. Basically as inactive you don't go to anything. You still have to pay some dues, but that all depends on the chapter.

Also, no, you wouldn't be allowed to be a recruitment counselor, at least I wouldn't think so. If you don't have time for KD stuff, how could you have time to devote to that?

I'm sorry if this was a random answer but it was a bunch of random questions to answer. To me it sounds like you want to do the fun stuff without the responsibilities. When you joined KD you made promises to your sisters, and you do have to fulfill them. It's not fair to those who are.

I realize that you have issues with school, money, etc. Normally i'd definitately say that inactivity could be right for someone like that. But it sounds like you still want to do all of the fun stuff, and so I don't know if inactivity is right for you.

Bottom line to my post is that you need to get your life in order, get some help with time management, etc. You shouldn't be worrying about being an officer or recruitment counselor if you can't deal with the rest of the responsibilities. Go to council, or perhaps go to one member of council that you trust the most, and talk to them.

I hope that I don't come across rude or hardhearted. I just kind of have a tough-love outlook on things. I'm also a fairly recent graduate (2002) who served most of my KD time as a member of council. What works for one chapter doesn't necessarily work for another, so who knows?

Good luck and AOT.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDPixie Send a message via Yahoo to KDPixie
Soryr, some clarification. I did not meen officer as in council, I have no time for that, but an appointed office, and we have some that do not require as much work as others, and the one I want would be some work, but only for a little bit during the time I would be needed. It is not only that I want to do the fun stuff, I would atend things that are required, but I am thinking something like EFMS where I am limited in the amount of required activities I need to go to. I am trying to address that overcommitment part to our council, but alot of girls here do not have to work on top of everything else, and the ones who do, agree with me on having too much to do. I do not mind the reguired things as well, in fact, things like chapter and initiation are parts I enjoy still. I like going to chapter because I like knowing whats going on, I understand alot of girls here do not like going. Also, formal recruitment is soemthing everyone wants to get out of since around here it is ALOT of work and stress, but I even wanted to be Membership until I realized I did not have time, I like formal recruitment and cannot wait for next years. I think I came off wrong in my post, and I apologize...
Old 11-10-2004, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I know I am not in your org, but this happens in every sorority I think. In my chapter, we were allowed to go semi-active for one semester, and inactive for one semester. I know that living in the house puts a huge strain on the girls that live there because you basically live and breathe sorority 24/7, where as people who live on campus or in their own apartments, have more "freedom", which often causes issues with say, house vs. campus type stuff. I agree with KDDani though that you shouldn't move out because you have made an obligation to live there, and it can be hard to find someone to replace you, and your share of the rent, which is understandable in causing sisters to become resentful towards you. I would speak with your e-board about the amount of events that are seemingly being forced upon everyone. This seems a little ridiculous. I also know that depending on one's major, they could be busier then other sisters, in addition to whether or not some sisters work, do sports, theatre, etc. I am sure you can work it out, it just means keeping the lines of communication open. Good luck!!!!
Old 11-10-2004, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Like Winneythepooh said, I'm not in your sorority so I don't know how KD works, but in our chapter, if you go inactive, you have to pay half of your school dues and you are required to go to formal meetings (the first Monday of every month). You can't take a little or participate in the NM period. If you want to attend any social events like semiformals or mixers or the formal then you need to pay full price for them.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDShannon
in KD you have some options..

Inactive Member
EFMS
Resignation

Now, if there are required event.. as an Active you have to attend, unless your standards board approves it.

As an inactive member, your options and ability to participate is VERY limited. I believe the rule is that you have to be invited to social events when you are inactive. As inactive, you won't be required to go to meetings and whatnot.. but anything involving ritual you will still be required to attend.

EFMS is not an option unless you have some financial issues...

Resignation is complete termination of your letters. You will no longer be considered a KD.

Inactive status usually lasts for a semester or less. All that is required is a form and permission from your council... they may have stipulations that you have to meet as well.

You cannot hold any office, appointed or otherwise as an inactive member of the chapter.

I hope this helps. (I was VP-Standards)

[URL="http://www.shannonkish.com"k[/URL]
Old 11-10-2004, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Also,

according to the COHB, work is a viable option in getting out of some of the required actitives... as long as working is required to meet financial obligations.

Old 11-10-2004, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

btw,

aren't you a new KD?