Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,306
0 members and 1,306 guests
No Members online

Old 06-03-2004, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Post article--Rejected UC applicants snub plan,Most turn down delayed-entry program

Most of the 7,600 students who were told by the University of California to go away for two years because of Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's budget cuts have delivered a message to the university: "hasta la vista, baby.''

According to preliminary figures released Wednesday by UC, 1,357 students accepted and 6,243 rejected the university's offer to enroll them after they complete two years of course study at a community college.

One of those who rejected the offer was 18-year-old Christina Carey of South San Francisco.

Read the rest here
Old 06-03-2004, 10:53 PM
Banned

Yeah Arnold should have just pulled money out of nowhere. Too bad Gray messed so much up. Arnold has actually rescued CA very well. I would have been scared to touch that debt but Moodys has great outlooks on it as opposed to it being a fully speculative credit. Phil Angelides is also a decent guy so he's helped as well.

-Rudey
--Those students shouldn't have just banked on cheap education and should have explored their other options elsewhere instead of being lazy.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:18 PM

I heard about this on the radio the other morning. Didn't the Cal State schools have the same deal as well? Were they offered the community college option?

Rudey, I see your point and agree, but I also feel that they should have "grandfathered" this year's class in, especially since they weren't told till April. That's extremely short notice.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

They're not entitled to it.. If their grades are up to par, they might try applying for scholarships. Otherwise, do like the rest of us do. Investigate student loans.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-04-2004, 01:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
I heard about this on the radio the other morning. Didn't the Cal State schools have the same deal as well? Were they offered the community college option?

Rudey, I see your point and agree, but I also feel that they should have "grandfathered" this year's class in, especially since they weren't told till April. That's extremely short notice.
You have to be dumb as rocks to not understand what's going on in CA if you're from CA. A certain percentage of the top students get into uc and another percentage get into cal state. They still can go to college and are guaranteed spots at those schools. But perhaps they should investigate other schools and not just apply to a couple schools. Perhaps they should think about the fact that this isn't the end of the world for them and while they didn't get into the school they wanted, they still can attend that school in a couple years or go to another school.

-Rudey