gatordeltapgh

Old 03-23-2001, 02:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Ten Reasons Why Reparations for Blacks is a Bad Idea for Blacks

Ten Reasons Why Reparations for Blacks is a Bad Idea for Blacks - and
Racist Too Article.

Please check out this article:
http://www.frontpagemag.com/horowitz...hn01-03-01.htm

I am shocked, appalled, and speechless right now.
Please offer your opinions and insight.
Old 03-23-2001, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

suntzu1963, this article burned me up when I read it first thing this morning. My feelings are mixed when it comes to reparations. I do agree that we (descendents of slaves) should be repayed for slavery. I just question if this idea of reparations will ever go anywhere. If the government allocates monies (which I doubt Bush will), isn't that like us paying us since our tax dollars are in the pool with everyone elses? The other thing is that, I don't think there is a price, land, or anything else that you could give to make up for the time our ancestors spent as slaves and/or the contribution our slave ancestors made to building this country. Sometimes I think that the focus should not be on reparations because it is too late, I think our focus (including politicians and other public figures like Rev. Jesse Jackson) should continue to concentrate on maintaining programs like Affirmative Action (not the Bush definition), helping our people who have been justly/unjustly jailed with Rehabilitation and transition back into society, and other things like making sure that we (our children included), no matter how rich or how poor, have equal access to education, healthcare, etc. In other words I think we should remember the past but focus on bettering the future and I am not sure reparations is the answer.

Everyone, feel free to discuss and/or comment.
Old 03-23-2001, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

Not only did I read the article and am furious right now (Its like the feeling you get after watching ROOTS) I also read the comments people made regarding the article. It saddens me that people are still so racist in this country. This is why we need more legislation regarding the internet so people would not be allowed to publish trash such as this on the web. And regarding reparations for slavery; our ancestors performed free labor for this country we should at least get minimum wage back.

Peace and blessings to all!
Old 03-23-2001, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Now the reason that REALLY (excuse my language) that pissed me off was #8-"Since the passage of the Civil Rights Acts and the advent of the Great Society in 1965, trillions of dollars in transfer payments have been made to African-Americans in the form of welfare benefits..." If he would do his research, he would see that from the beginning and up to today, White Americans are the largest population of a race on welfare!
There is no way that a program as simple as welfare could equal up to repayment for our ancestors being slaves, because look at the conditions behind being on welfare! I cannot believe that ignorant people like him get to post their opinions, but when we come with a counter-argument, it's denied the right to be published

------------------
"Mind ya own, stay true to ya own, be ya own."
Peace and God Bless
Classy_Diva5

[This message has been edited by Classy_Diva5 (edited March 23, 2001).]
Old 03-24-2001, 01:02 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree with each of the people who have commented thus far. I will add my responses froim time to time since I have so much to say about this.

I especially agree that the comments from others was a sad reminder that things have not really changed and it seem that the only thing that has is that people are just not upfront about their hatred. Even though Mr. Hororwitz said he was not racist, he did not refute those who agreed with him but that said racist things yet he refuted in a disrespectful manner those that tried to engage him in intelligent discourse.

And the fact that he tried to incite controversy and a possible racial war of sorts at colleges that have a problems with race (like my alma mater *UVA*, Brown, and the California system of public universities) is a tragedy. I and many other folks saw what he was doing and have tried or wanted to try to call him on it. He is so rude to those who disagree with him and pigheaded that there is no point. That is why I sent this to everyone and put it everywhere I could so that we can all recognize what is going on.

Please don't stop the responses. This is a situation that we must all educate those around us on.
Old 03-26-2001, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

The sad part suntzu is that this paper agreed to print it when many other college newspapers did not.

It was a big issue up here in the Northeast because Black students were taking the papers from the newsstands. The editors and staff passed out copies in the Cafs, and they even had the campus police monitor the newsstands to be sure they were not taken. I felt like, if he was alllowed to express himself thru the newspaper-why couldn't the students express their dissatisfaction by removing the papers??

The papers are freely distributed for anyone to pick up (in theory) so why would removing the papers be illegal?

But as always, Blacks are fair games.
If the column was entitled, "Why the Holocuast was good for Jews", I doubt anyone would be defending his 1st Amendment right.
Old 03-27-2001, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to The Original Ape
Cool

Yes; we deserve reparations-for at least the following reasons:

1)payment to our people for taking us(the young and healthy) away from our land and our roots-against our will.
2)for our share of all of the gains of those corporations that got their initial financial foundation from the free labor of slaves.
3)for the countless lives lost during The Middle Passage
4)for all of the blindings, dislimberings, tongue-extractions, etc. that the slaveowners did to us.
5)for breaking the promise of 40 acres and a mule to all of us
6)for all of the free railroad labor we provided
7)for hanging any/all literate slaves
8)for forcing us to defend the constitution while never including us in it.
9)for making us hate anything black
10)for making everybody else in the world hate and fear black
11)because you paid the Japanese for encampment during ww2, and the Jews for the Holocaust.

I can think of many other reasons for reparations. I am really saddened that more of us aren't understanding what it's all about; and aren't asking our representatives to push for it.
Old 03-27-2001, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

If reparations are supposed to be paid on an individual basis, I'm against it.

First, as soon as the reparations are paid to us, everyone else would have the idea that they've done enough to "level the playing field". They would think that affirmative action and other such programs were no longer necessary, and do away with them.

Second, what will happen once the money is gone? I would like to think that my people would invest their money wisely and pass it on to their children, but I know that we are the biggest consumers in the country. Many of us will end up like the lottery winners that spend all of their fortune within a year's time.

I read Horowitz's article and many of the responses. He's a Jewish guy with below average intelligence who has figured out a way to become popular with White people. Most of the respondents appear to be beside themselves at the thought of paying reparations to "baboons", "people who call in to work every Monday and Friday", "people whose college degrees aren't worth the paper they're printed on because they take all the easy classes", and my personal favorite "welfare and food stamp recipients".

This isn't rocket science. It's really very simple. Changing your racist mindset is FREE. Being fair is FREE. Hiring the most qualified person for the job is FREE. Choosing to judge on the content of one's character is FREE. If you don't want to pay reparations, why not try some of these FREEBIES on for size.

Just my $0.02.
Old 03-27-2001, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by MIDWESTDIVA:
If reparations are supposed to be paid on an individual basis, I'm against it.

First, as soon as the reparations are paid to us, everyone else would have the idea that they've done enough to "level the playing field". They would think that affirmative action and other such programs were no longer necessary, and do away with them.

Second, what will happen once the money is gone? I would like to think that my people would invest their money wisely and pass it on to their children, but I know that we are the biggest consumers in the country. Many of us will end up like the lottery winners that spend all of their fortune within a year's time.

I read Horowitz's article and many of the responses. He's a Jewish guy with below average intelligence who has figured out a way to become popular with White people. Most of the respondents appear to be beside themselves at the thought of paying reparations to "baboons", "people who call in to work every Monday and Friday", "people whose college degrees aren't worth the paper they're printed on because they take all the easy classes", and my personal favorite "welfare and food stamp recipients".

This isn't rocket science. It's really very simple. Changing your racist mindset is FREE. Being fair is FREE. Hiring the most qualified person for the job is FREE. Choosing to judge on the content of one's character is FREE. If you don't want to pay reparations, why not try some of these FREEBIES on for size.

Just my $0.02.

The point is, my sista, THEY OWE US!!! The coffee, tobacco, sugar, steel, and railroad industries(and their heirs) all owe us. How dare anyone complain HOW we spend the money. Spending the money will only help the economy, their economy, because they still own all of the means of production. Those of us that understand what I've said will know how we should collectively spend any such funds; problem is, do we trust one another enough to do the right thing?

[This message has been edited by The Original Ape (edited March 27, 2001).]
Old 03-28-2001, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

People have no idea what is was like to be a slave, yet they want cash for it? How can you be paid for a something you personally never endured?

And what happens if they pay up?? Then all Blacks should then shut up about racism and inequality, and racial-profiling because you got yours, now everyone is even. But of course, racism will still endure, but you won't have the right to say anything about it because you got your money.

No, its not right to profit from forced labor in the 21st century anymore than it was right to profit beforehand.

We are better off with programs that will help to lift people out of poverty by promoting education, and funding for college. Never forget their struggle, and empower YOURSELF through your own efforts.

And who decides who gets what....what do you think crackheads will do with their cut? And what about White people who have Black ancestors? How about Blacks who are descendants of Blacks who also owned slaves? Should Whites who families immigrated to the US after the Civil War be exempt?

Just cutting checks sounds like a bad idea.

[This message has been edited by straightBOS (edited March 28, 2001).]

Old 03-29-2001, 09:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by straightBOS:
People have no idea what is was like to be a slave, yet they want cash for it? How can you be paid for a something you personally never endured?

And what happens if they pay up?? Then all Blacks should then shut up about racism and inequality, and racial-profiling because you got yours, now everyone is even. But of course, racism will still endure, but you won't have the right to say anything about it because you got your money.

No, its not right to profit from forced labor in the 21st century anymore than it was right to profit beforehand.

We are better off with programs that will help to lift people out of poverty by promoting education, and funding for college. Never forget their struggle, and empower YOURSELF through your own efforts.

And who decides who gets what....what do you think crackheads will do with their cut? And what about White people who have Black ancestors? How about Blacks who are descendants of Blacks who also owned slaves? Should Whites who families immigrated to the US after the Civil War be exempt?

Just cutting checks sounds like a bad idea.

Sista,sista;

How in the hale can you consider what is owed you as a profit? Do you know of any old black people that can't read? Do you ever talk to very old people? Don't you know our people were blinded for being found able to read, hung for promoting unity and collective challenge during Reconstruction? How can you worry about what crackheads would do with their money when crack don't grow on trees in their neighborhoods? Who do you think brings it there, and why? If a people is drugged up and alcoholic, they probably wont finish their education; which will greatly limit their social and economic position in this country. It prohibits them from becoming entrepreneurs, and owning anything worth owning. Read your insurance policy. How much can you expect if a limb is lost in an accident that wasn't your fault? The people that run this country have placed a monetary value on the lives of all people in this country. Is that monetary value the same for ALL people? Why do you suppose people do different time in prison for crack vs. powder cocaine? It's all systematically done. The government paid Americans of Japanese decent reparations for their great relatives that were encamped during World War II. Taxes paid by your parents helped pay for each check they received. How long was WWII? How long was slavery? Some of our people STILL can't read because they didn't see their parents read because their parents didn't see their parents read because their parents told them the Knight-ridders would come if they found out they could read. You betta ask somebody! This country OWES you whether you want to be paid or not!!!
Old 03-29-2001, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Giving StraigtBOS a standing ovation!

Okay. I have to give Original Ape a standing ovation too. He has made some good points.

[This message has been edited by MIDWESTDIVA (edited March 29, 2001).]
Old 03-29-2001, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Luv ya, Suntzu, but I sitll have to disagree.

Persoanlly, I don't know any old Black people who can't read. In fact, I know many who can. But, I won't debate that point because I think it might be a matter of geography.

But yes, a profit is a profit. Profit- along with meaning to "benefit" means "to make progress." And if you take the money "owed" to and use it to advance your position in life, then you are benefitting and making progess, i.e. a profit.

The cycle of poverty is indeed a deep and treacherous one that many people can find it hard to get out of, but cutting checks never did, and never will solve anything.

I would rather the money went to teaching people how to read, rather than passing out checks and hoping that people do the right thing. What was that saying about teaching a man how to fish...?

This government owes me nothing and I don't think I would be eligible to any benefits anyways.

I would support monies being spent to educate the youth, especially about the items in history that were purposely "lost."

But if you give out money, and people spend it foolishly-as they most likely will-woud they be entitled to ask for more money? After all, who can really put a price on that amount of suffering.

Its all about bootstraps to me, baby...grab hold and PULL!!

My ancestors did it , my grandparents did it, my parents did it, I'm still doing it, and my kids will have to do it....
Old 04-01-2001, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Original Ape I completely agree with you. The payment of reparations will directly benefit the grandmother and grandfathers of our communities. It saddens me that the young people (under 30) are so out of touch with the history of our struggle. The Slave Trade was nothing but a free enterprise, free labor, no wage system. The ENTIRE United States benefited from this system and yes, elderly African Americans should receive some type of compensation for their suffrage. Because the parents and granparents of OUR Grandmothers and Grandfathers experienced all of these terrible sufferings. We cannot minimize the treatment of these Americans from Africa as something that happened so long ago and is lost in history. The fact that it happened is terrible enough.