Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,432
1 members and 1,431 guests
gatordeltapgh

Old 03-19-2001, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Post this is just too much!!

sorry sorors and sister friends but i just had to vent my frustrations

this is my first year teaching and college never prepared me for all of this!!!

i had a parent to accuse me of being unfair to her kid. i can't help it that HER child is a bad a$$!

i had a parent basically telling me that there is something wrong with the way i am teaching because her daughter USED to be an all A student last year!!

is it my fault that her daughter sits and daydreams and talks during class lessons?!?

another parent thought i was too young to teach her child (sorry i can't change my age to accomodate your preferences)

And still another parent wants me to excuse his child from -get this- writing in cursive because he does not do it well

come on parents (not all of u) please stop making excuses for your child and start teaching them how to be responsible for their choices.

Old 03-20-2001, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I want to LOL, but tjis is so not funny...........Keep the faith and remember why you choose to become a teacher
Old 03-20-2001, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Now this is right up my alley...First of all SoRHOr, what ages do you teach?
My daughter is six years old, and let me tell you, she has had her share of "incidents" in school. She is an excellent student. She has received an award for ACADEMEIC EXCELLENCE, but that is not her problem-her problem is her mouth..MOUTH ALMIGHTY MOUTH.....I think that she maybe "bored" with the pace of the work because she always complete her work a head of the class, then she likes zone out and start doing all her "ONLY CHILD" tactics where she will talk to herself, sing to herself, play finger games with her hands, etc to the point were it disturbs the other students....I am saying all this to say...Her teacher has been very supportive with me being a single mom and trying to help with her education and adapt to her "behavior".

On many occaisions her teacher has thanked me so much for being so involves in my daughter's care..i thought this was a bit strange for a teacher to be so thrilled that a parent is involved in their childrens education...but i guess that is the state of the education system today....

I to may tend to pawn off some of my daughters "behavior" issues on other things...or make excuses...

So SoRHOr, just know that no mother wants her child to be labeled as, "bad", "stupid", "behavioraly challenged", etc.. So the behavior by the parents may be some type of defense mechanism to cope with the truth, what ever that may be.....PLEASE DO NOT TAKE OFFENSE AT WHAT US PARENTS DO OR SAY....WE ARE ALL JUST TRYING TO MAKE SOMME SENSE OUT OF THIS CRAZY WORLD....

I know you are and EXCELLENT teacher for two reasons 1) YOU WANTED TO MAKE THIS YOUR LIFE'S WORK (i know is aint cause of the money :-)...2) YOUR ARE A WOMAN OF DISTINCTION, A WOMAN OF HONOR, A WOMAND OF COMPASSION, A WOMAN OF CARING, A WOMAN OF SERVICE, A WOMAN OF PROGRESS......A WOMAN OF SIGMA GAMMA RHO.........
Old 03-20-2001, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Now I need a teacher...."What ages do you teach...." LORD somebody hand me a grammer book8-)

Old 03-20-2001, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

ms SGRHO you are ever so right

i have so many parents that work closely with me because this is my first year and i love that because i don't feel like i am on my own.

and then i have some parents that are just looking to place blame on any one because they refuse to believe the fact that their child is not putting forth all of the effort.

i teach 3rd grade. at this age some of my students want me to "baby them".

i don't know. maybe i should sometimes.

i have my share of crying kids when they can't be helper.

crying kids when they get their conduct chart grade goes down.

crying kids when they don't get their way!

but u know what? i absolutely love my job and my students and i would not give it up.
i just needed to get a few things off of my chest and move on.

Old 03-20-2001, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Soror! What a coincidence! I am a first year teacher in the Bronx, NY and let me tell, you, I get it all! I had a parent tell my mentor in the beginning of the year that she didn't want me as her child's teacher because I looked too young. Hell, I'm 25, what did she expect me to look like??? But luckily, other than that, I have been blessed with really good parent involved with the children and they really revere the teachers and teach the children this. But I have lots of crazy stories-you wouldn't believe the things 7th graders ask and tell me! Feel free to email me:
pretty_poodle@hotmail.com

Old 03-20-2001, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

ms arRHOgance,
i would definetly believe all the stories u have and more.

i am 23,and unfortuantely, i have been mistaken for a fifth grader!!

this summer i worked with future ninth graders and i said i would never work with that age again.

were we really that bad not so long ago?
Old 03-21-2001, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

Parenting by Proxy...thats what Dr. Laura calls it. Some people don't like her views, but in this case I think she hit the nail on the head.

In this society, parents are so busy with other things that occupy their lives that they don't have the time to raise their children as well as, or better than they were raised. The result, children who act out in school, and the parents who don't want to admit it.

When a teacher tells a parent about their misbehaving child, the parent sees that as a reflection on himself, and they know that those behavioral problems can (and should be) attributed to the lack of direction the child receives at home. So, instead of admitting to, and trying to rectify the behavioral problems, they deny, deny, deny.

Here in Boston they had a 2 week period that consisted of small incidents of violence directed at teachers or students in class.
In one case, (if it wasn't so tragic it would be funny) a teacher was assaulted by the mother of her first grade student--in class! The mother said (are you ready for this) that she had to defend her son, because this teacher, like his kindergarten teacher last year, was picking on her son because if his unruly behavior. What??? She can't even face the fact that her son has a chronic problem, instead she wants to blame the teachers.

Its frightening because I have a family full of teachers (all under 35 years old) and they face so much from the school board, the state, now they have to fend off attacks from students and parents.

Wow..it really is 2001, huh.
Old 03-21-2001, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm glad you feel my plight RHOyal-Silence. These 7th grade girls are overdeveloped and moving too fast! I called a student's home and told the parent about their child's behavior: the mother said she forgot to administer the child their Ritalin and Prozac. Soror, don't let me start to tell you about how back to school night turns into WWF at my school! The parents start beating on their kids like there is no tomorrow!! Then they always threaten the kids, telling them that they are going to put them in a foster home. The sad thing is that the parents probably would....and the stories go on and on and on...
Old 03-21-2001, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

u know, i am not trying to be funny but when i was working with those future ninth graders i started to feel a bit jealous (really!)

most of the girls were more developed than i am!

Old 03-22-2001, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

LMAO........ain't that the truth, half of them have probably done things you would be jeoulos of too.
Quote:
Originally posted by RHOyal-Silence:
u know, i am not trying to be funny but when i was working with those future ninth graders i started to feel a bit jealous (really!)

most of the girls were more developed than i am!

Old 03-22-2001, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kitten03
I agree,
I'm an education student in Boston and what frustrates me most about my school is that there is no classes on classroom management until the graduate level.

Parents who make excuses for their children will be making them for the rest of their and their child's life. Children should learn to be responsible for their own problems in school.

I wish someone had told my mama that it's ok to blame the teacher when things go wrong. Ooooh Lord, my mama would believe ANY thing that the teacher said about me. My teacher could say that aliens flew into class and I started talking to them and disrupted the class. I would get fussed out and a swift kick in the butt. No matter how ridiculous the story.

My parents have always reinforced that you are accountable for your own actions. Now if more parents could, would the world be a better place.....