GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 835
2 members and 833 guests
Cookiez17, flirt5721

Old 07-18-2001, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker20:
Can somebody please tell me exactly what "boriqua" means. I studied Spanish for years and never heard it until Big Pun came out.

According to my "Boriquan" co-worker, it means male or female Puerto Rican born in Puerto Rico but many non-Puerto Rican (island) born Puerto Ricans call themselves Boriquas as well.......

[This message has been edited by Eastcoast Sunshine (edited July 18, 2001).]
Old 07-18-2001, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Salience Send a message via Yahoo to Salience
Question

Quote:
Originally posted by ChaosDST:
Did anyone see Jennifer and Ja Rule on 106th and Park last night? First off, as much as I heard that "I'm Real" Remix, I NEVER knew it was Jennifer singing.
Anyway, AJ and Free mentioned the controversy and Jennifer went on to say how hurt she was and that she didn't use it to be hurtful...she also mentioned that Ja wrote the song (big deal). Then, Ja went on with a less PC response: he said "Jennifer is Boriqua...and since when haven't Boriquas been N**" Jennifer didn't seem to pleased with THAT response (nor with the fact that Ja told everyone Jennifer was married, different story).

Chaos
.. so why would jennifer be upset, I mean, she IS "down," right? and everyone who defends her use, along with that of Fat Joe and Big Pun, etc, says we're all family, right, we come from the Motherland? so, she is a nigga, too right?

so why are folks upset?

You know Eminem and Fred Durst have been waiting for this opportunity to get ready to show how "down" they are, if they haven't already.

------------------

The most beautiful thing in the world is, precisely, the conjunction of learning and inspiration.
-- Wanda Landowska
Old 07-19-2001, 12:35 AM

Question

Did anyone see Jennifer and Ja Rule on 106th and Park last night? First off, as much as I heard that "I'm Real" Remix, I NEVER knew it was Jennifer singing.
Anyway, AJ and Free mentioned the controversy and Jennifer went on to say how hurt she was and that she didn't use it to be hurtful...she also mentioned that Ja wrote the song (big deal). Then, Ja went on with a less PC response: he said "Jennifer is Boriqua...and since when haven't Boriquas been N**" Jennifer didn't seem to pleased with THAT response (nor with the fact that Ja told everyone Jennifer was married, different story).

Chaos
Old 07-19-2001, 09:24 AM

Talking

Well, I thought the whole interview on 106th and Park was funny. I mean, Jennifer atleast USED to be down...she just looked really uncomfortable during the interview. I guess she's gotten used to the Hollywood scene. But, what do I know....
Jennifer looked a little nervous after Ja made the statement about her being a N, too. I think Ja was too crass...he doesn't seem to have much control over his big mouth (hence the fact that he told everyone that Jennifer was married). I think AJ and Free saw how uncomfortable she was, and left it alone...the LAST thing they need to do is upset a guest (unemployment line). Jennifer didn't say anything...she was obviously ready to move on to the NEXT TOPIC.
I actually felt uncomfortable by the interview AFTER Ja said that...maybe his statement took a lot of people off guard. We're talking about removing the N word from our vocabulary, and here Ja is telling the world (whoever watches BET) that Jennifer is an N, too. I guess he sees the word like a lot of folks do...it isn't a bad word as long as it is used by those within the African diaspora. Just ellaborating on the show, don't shoot the messenger

Chaos
Old 07-20-2001, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovelyivy84
Quote:
Originally posted by ChaosDST:
.....Then, Ja went on with a less PC response: he said "Jennifer is Boriqua...and since when haven't Boriquas been N**" Jennifer didn't seem to pleased with THAT response (nor with the fact that Ja told everyone Jennifer was married, different story).

Chaos

I WISH I had seen that show, if only for that one moment! I am LMAO over here!
Old 07-22-2001, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DELTAQTE Send a message via Yahoo to DELTAQTE
Well I saw the brand new J.Lo "I'm real" with Ja rule. And when it comes to the part where she is suppossed to say niggaz, she doesn't even mouth it(you know in videos they just mute it out, but you can still tell they said something bad) but it just shows her smiling and then it goes back to the song, so I guess she isn't that comfortable with all the hype around the word, oh well!

QTE
Old 07-31-2001, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

First of all, I want to say that J Lo is not Black. I think I have to agree with the person who said she's probably "glad" she is not black. Some blacks use the term but that doesn't allow everyone else to use it. I know hispanics that call each other "wetbacks" but that is not something that I would ever say to them. I understand that things have a different meaning depending on the context. She and all people should realize that, though some blacks are comfortable with the term, not all blacks have an appreciation for it. Some of us are still very hurt and angry about what our people have gone through and don't find it "cute"! Just because she dated Puffy doesn't mean she is totally accepted by all blacks.
Old 07-31-2001, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Why is it that no one said anything about writing to Ja-Rules label about his use of the 'n' word. Or any other rapper for that matter.
Old 07-31-2001, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tazzy:
Why is it that no one said anything about writing to Ja-Rules label about his use of the 'n' word. Or any other rapper for that matter.
Actually, we discussed that on page two of this thread.

Chaos
Old 08-01-2001, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Kwesi Mfume of the NAACP hosts a show here called the Bottom Line on Sundays. This past week one of the topics on the show was J-Lo and the N-word. They had a very heated debate about it. One of the panelists, who objects to the words use and widespread acceptance amongst Black people, and another who is not as put off by the word, both agreed that a big point and difference for them was how loud we are about it. For instance one panelist said she felt as though all though all groups may have some who will use a derogatory term about themselves, she does not hear their children hollering it on the train or putting it in their media to the level that we do. Our wide spread and public use cannot help but cause a spill over at some point. I mean think about, White kids buy rap music in greater numbers than Black kids do, learn all the words and rap right along with every mf and n on the album. They are being conditioned by the word and how can it be shocking when they then become comfortable, maybe even too comfortable using the word. Really, in many ways we put the words in their mouths and then get mad when they come out.

Star of Star and Buckwild who set this off in NYC was one of the guests and he said for himself that he does not like the word and does not respond when greeted "what’s up my n" and the like. Mr. Mfume ended the segment with an African Proverb that says "it is not what name you call me but what name I answer to." I thought that was interesting.

------------------
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc.
Baltimore Metropolitan Alumnae Chapter
#3 of ER 30
Spring 1999

"No finer girls will you ever see, and I'm so glad I pledged- for what?
For DST!"
Old 08-01-2001, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Reds6 Send a message via Yahoo to Reds6
Quote:
Originally posted by DST'BoutBiz7:
First of all, I want to say that J Lo is not Black. I think I have to agree with the person who said she's probably "glad" she is not black. Some blacks use the term but that doesn't allow everyone else to use it. I know hispanics that call each other "wetbacks" but that is not something that I would ever say to them. I understand that things have a different meaning depending on the context. She and all people should realize that, though some blacks are comfortable with the term, not all blacks have an appreciation for it. Some of us are still very hurt and angry about what our people have gone through and don't find it "cute"! Just because she dated Puffy doesn't mean she is totally accepted by all blacks.
I think opinions run along the lines of where you grew up or what different part of the country you have been exposed to. I don't think JLo was trying to be black or be accepted. Latino's using the word is very accepted in New York. That's why so many latino arttist use it.
Old 08-01-2001, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Also, the island of Puerto Rico was called "Boriqua" by the natives of the island. Of course, it wasn't called PR until the Spanish came. Those who are particularly interested in PR becoming independent of the US call themselves "Boriquan". (At leat that's what my African American Anthro. professor told me.)
[

QUOTE]Originally posted by Eastcoast Sunshine:
[b]
According to my "Boriquan" co-worker, it means male or female Puerto Rican born in Puerto Rico but many non-Puerto Rican (island) born Puerto Ricans call themselves Boriquas as well.......