GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,539
4 members and 1,535 guests
Cookiez17, Happy Alum, John

Old 06-15-2000, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Summer reading

Has any one read the book: Waiting In Vain by Colin Channer? It was given to me as a gift and I wanted to know if any one has
comments.
Old 06-16-2000, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

I'm an avid book reader however I have never heard of that one. But you can always look on amazon.com or even a barnes & noble.com site to look up a synopsis.

I just finished A Long Way from Home by Connie Briscoe, which ws wonderful and right now I am reading Blessings by Sheneska Jackson, which is proving to be pretty good.

Old 06-19-2000, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Blesings is a wonderful book. I am going to have to get the other two. I saw an advertisement for Waiting in Vain in this months Essence. Any iother good books out there?
Old 06-19-2000, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I just found out that HBO is going to do a movie from the book "Disappearing Acts". I'm not sure when it will be on, maybe at the end of the summer or in the fall.
Old 06-19-2000, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

WHAT? Did you say that HBO will be doing a movie for Disappearing Acts? I loved that book...I liked that one better than all of the rest of McMillan's novels, and I alwys believed that they should have made that one a movie first anyway...have they already casted out the parts yet?
I just finished Tina McElroy Ansa's book, "Baby of the Family" It was good too!
Old 06-19-2000, 06:12 PM
kissy324

Disappearing Acts was a great book. I can't wait to see the movie!
Old 06-19-2000, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Wesley Snipes and the young lady from the movie "Love and Basketball" are the main characters.
Old 06-19-2000, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Yeah, I always thought that he was suited to play the character from the book. I at one point was in love with him until I read the infamous article in Ebony.
Old 06-20-2000, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Conspiracy2, I didn't read the article in Ebony. Please tell me what is was about.
What could have been so bad that you no longer like Wesley Snipes?
Old 06-20-2000, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

It was so long ago, that I honestly cannot remember word for word quotes....but the gist of it was ALL black women have attituds, they are too demanding, only want me for my money, don't know how to be submissive...that's why I like Asian/White women...etc. Now, my thing is just because you may have had an ugly experience with one black woman does not mean that it is okay to generalize and say ALL black women are that way. I mean, if I said ALL black men only beat their women because of the bad experiences I have had, then I would be stereotyping ALL black men and I know that ALL black men don't do that...do you catch my drift?

After the article was printed I do remember that Snipes received a lot of flak, and he apologized...but needless to say as for me, I lost a lot of respect for him.
Old 06-20-2000, 06:13 PM
kissy324

Angry

Conspiracy2,

I must say that I lost ALL respect for the brotha as well. He doesn't realize that attitude comes in all colors.
Old 06-20-2000, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I also lost respect for Wesley Snipes, when I read the article.
Now, why is it that "Most"of the Black men that decide to date exclusively outside of their race say the same things.....I was once hurt by a sister, or, that, the siters are not submissive, but when they are hurt/used by women outside of their race they continue to date them. Hmm...it makes you think....
And yes, Kissy324, attitude does come in all colors
Old 06-21-2000, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Since I can't get my pleasure read on during the school year, summer reading is the best! During the winter months I re-read the first two books in the E. Lynn Harris trilogy (Invisible Life and Just As I Am), followed by the conclusion Abide With Me. As a Christian, homosexuality is ALWAYS a controversial subject, but these books really made me see and understand the lifestyle, emotions, and turbulence that goes into just living the life that you've been given. Don't sleep on his other books, And This Too Shall Pass and If This World Were Mine. He wrote these books in between the books in the trilogy. If you've read all of them, then you know how he intircately weaves some characters (and one in particular) throughout each one of the books even though they are not all apart of a series.

Right now, my summer author is Eric Jerome Dickey. I can't say enough about him. I finished Sister, Sister in two days, Friends and Lovers took awhile longer, but now I'm on Milk in My Coffee, which I plan to follow with Cheaters. As I was walking through the mall, I saw that he has a new book coming out called Liar's Game...I'll be there to pick it up. The thing that I like about EJD, is that he is able to make the characters sound believable and VERY real! Just in reading two books completely and starting on a third, I am not able to tell that the same author wrote these books because his style is fresh and innovative each time.

If you haven't read the books by these two authors, I encourage you to do so. To comment on previous posts, Sheneska Jackson is an excellent writer. I belive she'll be my next author. I've read Caught Up in the Rapture, it was great...thanks for the book Sister in Christ, you know who still has it...go to Carson and beat him up! lol!

Sorry for the LOOOOOONG post, but I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents...
Old 06-21-2000, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

You are so right, my cousin and I both really like E.Lynn Harris' books. We started reading them at first because of what we thought were references to areas in my hometown/state. I like them because the characters seem so real and some of the situations I can really see happening. Now with the last book, I didn't like the little ghost apparition of Kyle...that didn't seem too real!
However, I haven't read anything about the other author. My cousin told me about him too, and I think I have one of his books and I just haven't read it yet.
Old 06-21-2000, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Conspiracy2 for telling me about the article on Wesley. I guess some things
we will never understand!

As for the books by E.Lynn Harris, he is one of my favorite authors. As someone else posted, he makes the characters seem so real. I was skeptical about reading his work at first because of the homosexuality issue. However, when I picked the book up and started reading, I could not put it down.