GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,239
1 members and 1,238 guests
No Members online

Old 10-10-2000, 11:44 AM
Regal

Question How do you feel when you see...

your frat/soror working in fast food restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores, etc. AFTER graduation? and they have on something to represent the fraternity/sorority, i.e. writing with an KAY, AKA, ETC. PEN taking someone's breakfast order at the waffle house, etc., having on their jacket, a pendant/charm, etc. BE HONEST.
Old 10-10-2000, 11:48 AM
kuu_kuu

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Regal:
your frat/soror working in fast food restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores, etc. AFTER graduation? and they have on something to represent the fraternity/sorority
Perhaps those are not particularly prestigious professions, but there is something to be said for working hard and making an honest living.

Old 10-10-2000, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree kuu_kuu. There are a number of ways someone could disgrace their organization, but I would not consider serving burgers or pumping gas to be any of them.

They're trying & that's something many people can't say.
Old 10-10-2000, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
There are a number of ways someone could disgrace their organization, but I would not consider serving burgers or pumping gas to be any of them. They're trying & that's something many people can't say.
I agree. The real world is not easy nor does membership into a BGLO or any org. = executive position straight out of college. I applaud the hard workers, especially if they're flipping burgers and helping out at the homeless shelter. By the way, I'm not a member.

Old 10-10-2000, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Are you just curious or you have seen a memmber of greek letter org. working at one of the above? I never have and honestly, hope I don't considering that the org. should also provide the network that would help you stay out of a low wage paying job.
DO NOT TAKE ME WRONG. but if you are greek, it means you went to a higher learning institution. The rest should be history and, YES!!!! I know, by own experience it is not easy to get job, but...

Let me add that despite all the above, I do agree that it is a legal-honest way to make money, so if I had to do to feed my family, sorors, frats, loved one in general, I WILL DO IT, althouht, I REPEAT!!!!! If you have difficulties doing it on your own, fellow greeks and loved ones should help you get the best and best paying job you are capable or performing.

I also know noone starts from the top, again, the rest is a fill in the blank.

Enough Said.
Maria,
Not Limit Soldier
SIGMA GAMMA RHO Sorority,Inc.
Old 10-10-2000, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

TALAXE,

I agree. I really do not mind cooking burgers for charity, in fact, I do help at a homeless shelter 2x a month. It is because I want to help, but as a career? I hope I don't have to. Never say never, I am just sayingI hope I never have to.

Also, I am sure our founders (meaning all founders of NPHC org) had bigger things for us in mind. I just try to help with what I can. Some have it easier than others and those who do, should help the ones in need.

THIS WAS TO TALAXE- If anyone else want to reply, please do not be rude. I know how many of us can get at times.

PEACE TO ALL.

Maria
Not Limit Soldier
SIGMA GAMMA RHO Sorority, Inc
Old 10-10-2000, 08:20 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally posted by Regal:
your frat/soror working in fast food restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores, etc. AFTER graduation? and they have on something to represent the fraternity/sorority, i.e. writing with an KAY, AKA, ETC. PEN taking someone's breakfast order at the waffle house, etc., having on their jacket, a pendant/charm, etc. BE HONEST.
I would feel happy and excited to meet a fellow sister, and to see that she is supporting her org after graduation and that it is still in her heart.

FYI, I worked at a fast food restaurant for a year after I graduated. There were no other jobs in my small town, and I wanted to be near my family. Now when so many of them are gone, I'm glad I stayed there. I'll remember the time spent with them a lot more than I'll remember the job.

So get your nose out of the air and think about the extenuating circumstances people might be going through. What you do for a living is not as important as what you do with your life.
Old 10-10-2000, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tickledpink
Hmmmm. I've seen greek members working at fast food places, but usually in management.

I don't have a problem with it, personally. I've never seen a greek member wear their letters in places like that because you have to wear a uniform.... I just knew them, hence I knew they were greek (or they saw my letters and told me). Anyway, as long as it is an honest living, there is no problem, after all, we all scream about quality help, and if everyone viewed the fast food scene and convenient store as degrading, who would serve us?

Now, if I saw one of my sorors or frats on the corner pushing drugs, that's an area of concern...
Old 10-10-2000, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghostface-Killah:
hope I don't considering that the org. should also provide the network that would help you stay out of a low wage paying job.
DO NOT TAKE ME WRONG. but if you are greek, it means you went to a higher learning institution. The rest should be history and, YES!!!! I know, by own experience it is not easy to get job, but...
Okay - I work for a multi-million dollar computer software industry. We have programmers that make more in one day than I'll make all month. We have people in admin that have no clue what a PE is (Personnel Evaluation) much less how to properly do one in accordance with the law. We have people that drag in when they want and take off when they want....they all make 2 to 3 times more than me - the point...I AM THE MOST EDUCATED EMPLOYEE - I have a Master's PLUS post degree education. What's my job? RECEPTIONIST (you can email me at peon.com ) But you know what - who the heck cares? I do an AWESOME job because I'm friendly and knowledgeable. Our customers can't say enough about the change in attitude from our last receptionist. And I probably won't be moving up anytime soon considering our customers have begged them to pay me to stay. I love my job because I'm good at it. So I don't care if a person is a CEO, or a garbage collector. If you love your job, and the people love you right back who the heck cares if someone thinks you're job is demeaning? I am thankful that quality people want these so called "low-wage" jobs because if they didn't who would serve me my veggie burger on my hour lunch (while everyone else has 2 hour martini lunches on the company).

As far as "networking" goes - yes, I did use the network offered by my organization. But I am happy with my job. If any sister ever told me she was ashamed of my job I would know that she has the problem and not me. And no "buts" about it.......

------------------
"Alpha Chi Omega - If you only had 2 wishes, what would your second one be?"
Old 10-10-2000, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Woah!!!!! It is interesting to read all of your responses. Thanks for sharing your opinion. Better yet, thanks for not being rude. Now, I am glad all of you are happy with whatever you do. When trying to answer the original questioning I was trying to stick with the original scenario "cooking bergers/gas station thing. Please school me, share with me, tell me what ever you think I need to know. See, I believe in learning from others. Just want to hear what you guys have to say about the question and my answer- Remember, everyone teach one.

Respect ALL.

Maria
Not Limit Soldier,
SIGMA GAMMA RHO Sorority, Inc.