Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 860
0 members and 860 guests
No Members online

Old 04-14-2003, 12:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SAIPrincess Send a message via Yahoo to SAIPrincess
Scavanger hunt/kidnapping

Has any one,or does any one know how to do something like this? The 4music fratenities/sororities never do anything together and we (the social chairs) want to kidnap the presidents and make the other organizations get them back, but we don't know how to go about organizing this. i read about it somewhere, although i don't remeber if it was here or if it was at a conventions, but any way....if you've ever done something like this or can give me any suggestions, that would be great!

Greek Love,
Old 04-14-2003, 01:18 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Scavanger hunt/kidnapping

Quote:
Originally posted by SAIPrincess
Has any one,or does any one know how to do something like this? The 4music fratenities/sororities never do anything together and we (the social chairs) want to kidnap the presidents and make the other organizations get them back, but we don't know how to go about organizing this. i read about it somewhere, although i don't remeber if it was here or if it was at a conventions, but any way....if you've ever done something like this or can give me any suggestions, that would be great!

Greek Love,
I wouldn't suggest it seeing as in many states it's illegal

Also, most national policies consider it to be a form of hazing.

If you do go through with it, it's best not to post about it on a board like this.

Your national organization may stumble accross it.

Can't ya'll just go bowling together?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-14-2003, 01:20 AM
GreekChat Member

You have to be really careful on this one! Another Tau Beta Sigma chapter did this and some girls got physically hurt. Including broken fingers.
I applaud you for trying to work with the other musical groups. I wish our SAI chapter had anything to do with us.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SAIPrincess Send a message via Yahoo to SAIPrincess
okay let me explain what we have worked out so far with this....
1. the presidents all know that they are going to be "kidnapped" we actually think that when the are "kidnappped" they can be sitting in thier rooms doing home work and stuff and just have to be at the music building or what ever place at a certain time.
2. we've done scavanger hunts before. and it's always stuff that is safe and semi easy to find.
3. what we want to know is how can we have the groups get thier president back. would it be like oh you found the most stuff you can have them back, or something like that....
4. then we are going to have pizza....
Old 04-14-2003, 07:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
It is not hazing, we have the consent of all 4 presidents. TBS & KKPsi are allowed to do scavanger hunts, I dont know about SAI and PhiMA's policies so I cant speak for them. When we have scavanger hunts the first team back gets a prize... this prize is just going to be the Presidents. ALSO... I really do think this idea came from the sisterhood committee at TBS convention.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by AngelPhiSig
It is not hazing, we have the consent of all 4 presidents. TBS & KKPsi are allowed to do scavanger hunts, I dont know about SAI and PhiMA's policies so I cant speak for them. When we have scavanger hunts the first team back gets a prize... this prize is just going to be the Presidents. ALSO... I really do think this idea came from the sisterhood committee at TBS convention.
Interesting that someone at your convention suggested it. Doesn't necessarily mean that she knows your hazing policy -- it does say that if it's there it probably isn't enforced very well though

Many groups treat their no-hazing policies as a CYA clause -- ie. you do it, you were breaking the rules so not our fault!

You might want to inquire though, I'd be willing to put money on that not being an approved activity for at least one of the groups involved. The question is though, do they care? If not, enjoy.. sounds fun and fairly safe.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-14-2003, 10:10 AM

My CEO at my job participated in a "Jail & Bail" for I think Cystic Fibrosis...he was "arrested" and donations were given to get him out. That would be more of a campus event though, unless you all want to go broke.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
I did a "Jail and Bail" for Panhel when I was a Rho Chi.
It was a blast!
Old 04-16-2003, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jenigail
To be on the safe side I would have a written consent form to be signed by the presidents that detailed what they had to do.

Now for the fun stuff...

I would leave a "ransom note" telling the chapter what has happened. Then I would have a videotape of the presidents reading the demands (list of things the group must do). And the first group to get everything done gets their president back. You might also want to get little fun gifts to give to the winning team.

If you have the ability I would make all the groups carry a video camera so that when you all get back to eat pizza you can have a few laughs watching everyone do their tasks. We used to do this with my church. Some wierd things you could do are: find a phone booth and see how many people you can fit in it, go to a resturant and ask them if you can help cook something (there was a burger place that would let us help make the fries), anything that makes everyone look silly is always good.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RUgreek
Quote:
Originally posted by jenigail
To be on the safe side I would have a written consent form to be signed by the presidents that detailed what they had to do.

Now for the fun stuff...

I would leave a "ransom note" telling the chapter what has happened. Then I would have a videotape of the presidents reading the demands (list of things the group must do). And the first group to get everything done gets their president back. You might also want to get little fun gifts to give to the winning team.

If you have the ability I would make all the groups carry a video camera so that when you all get back to eat pizza you can have a few laughs watching everyone do their tasks. We used to do this with my church. Some wierd things you could do are: find a phone booth and see how many people you can fit in it, go to a resturant and ask them if you can help cook something (there was a burger place that would let us help make the fries), anything that makes everyone look silly is always good.

It's nice that everyone is looking out for other greeks on this board, but this was the first message to actually answer her question. I think saying something once is enough, then if you have anything useful to add go ahead and leave a message. Turning a thread that asked a simple question, how to run a scavenger, shouldn't become a debate on whether it's right or not. Just keep it simple folks, we all know doing "anything" is illegal today, but let's try to help get these threads to the main point a little quicker.

As for my thoughts, you could do what jenigail said, or start out with the kidnap presidents and a starting point for the hunt. Each note is a clue, left at the proper location. To keep a chapter from sabotaging the others, have a member at each checkpoint on the hunt so that when a new group arrives, the clues are still there for them to get to the next level. I wouldn't make the riddles or clues too hard, but keep it fun and as local as possible (people don't want to drive 30 minutes away to the post office to look under the 13th lightpost for a piece of paper that sends them to another hour out of the way...) I'd say 6-12 clues could make it a fun and short hunt, depending on the situation. Possibilities are endless, and if you want, at the end have a small party celebrating the participants.

Good luck!

RUgreek
Old 06-19-2003, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

A chapter on my campus did a photo scavenger hunt for a brotherhood activity - they split into groups and had to take pictures with the Platteville sign, a sculpture on campus, a sorority girl, an athlete, the University Farm sign, and some other places/people. They had a really good time!
Old 06-19-2003, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter did a photo "party" we couldn't use the word scavenger hunt. It was probably the best sisterhood event we did. It was a blast. We got a list of things to take pictures with, everyone in the group had to be in the picture, which means someone else has to take the picture. We live in Vegas so we did it on the strip. I would definately recommend it.
Old 07-09-2003, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to slamit93 Send a message via Yahoo to slamit93
that would be hazing for us...
Old 07-25-2003, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AXPGoBot
An Answer to the Question

Ok, here ya go:

Kidnappings can be REALLY fun if you get creative with it. First off, make sure they know that a kidnapping is going to occur (w/ some chapters, the Brothers know that "someone" is getting taken but don't know who, makes it more fun). Just tell everyone to meet at some location and let the fun begin! Once said person is taken, you usually bring them somewhere that's fun or entertaining, based on what their personal interests are. Like, if the people you're 'napping are video game freaks, bring them back to your apartment w/ a PS2 or something, if they love Lord of the Rings, take them somewhere to watch the movie (should give you plenty of time ). While you're keeping the person "entertained" the rest of the Chapter is out looking for them. When they are taken, you leave behind a single clue, which leads them to some other location, w/ another clue, and so on and so forth until finally, the last clue leads to where the person is being held captive. It's usually fun to all go out to eat or something afterwards, and talk about what went right or wrong.

Now, you can get REAL creative with this. In the past I've known people that have done this, and clues were everything from handwritten notes to codes, to riddles, puzzles, video clues, computer programs in C++, and even a strategicly planted cell phone which rang when the group arrived at the location!

You could even get other ogranizations in on it, have the group sing a song or do a dance to get the next clue, the sky's the limit!

The only suggest I have is to make it so that everything is in walking distance. Use a car to initially "kidnap" the person, but restrict their usage after that... it's been my experience that a car chase ALWAYS will follow... especially w/ the fraternities.

Hope that helps, and have fun! E-mail me or IM me if you'd like some more suggestions, I don't really wanna put everything in here.