amIblue?, Phrozen Sands

Old 03-18-2003, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Gay brother seeks national presidency

Gay fraternity members share personal pains, epiphanies
Duo details discrimination, politics and awkward dinner conversations
By Liz Satenstein
Media Credit: Chris Mobley for Hermes
Bil Leipold helps record the ideas discussed during "When Gays Move into Mr. Rogersī Neighborhood," a frank look at homosexuality and greek life.

Media Credit: Chris Mobley for Hermes
Joe Bertolino leads a March 5 forum on sexuality.
When Joe Bertolino recently announced his candidacy for Delta Sigma Phi's national president, he received several phone calls from brothers asking him to reconsider.

Said Bertolino, who is openly gay, "They fear it will hurt the national reputation of the fraternity."

Bertolino described the complications of his sexuality March 5 with boyfriend and Sigma Phi Epsilon brother Bil Leipold. Their talk, titled "When Gays Move into Mr. Roger's Neighborhood," provided what was often a comical gay and greek perspective to a mainly Syracuse University and State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry audience.

Though the ill-effects, if any, of his homosexuality will emerge at the July election, Bertolino shared some of his more memorable experiences of coming out to family and friends.

He even recalled his father's reassuring words after breaking up with his first boyfriend: "Don't worry son. There are plenty of other swordfish in the sea."

The presentation is one of several Bertolino and Leipold make each year, sometimes speaking to groups as small as four students.

"If one person learns something from the experience, then we have accomplished something," Bertolino said.

Leipold described himself as the more liberal of the two. He currently works at Rutgers University in the student affairs department, a perk of the job being able to reside in the Garden State, a more tolerant area, he said.

But it also means he works on a college campus, a place where homophobia commonly exists, he added.

During their presentation Leipold and Bertolino cited four steps to help deal with homophobia: Awareness, knowledge, skills and action.

They used such steps in their own coming out, having met 10 years ago and having found some resistance with friends and family.

Bertolino grew up in a rural Pennsylvania town and attended a small college close to home. When he told a friend of his sexuality, Bertolino said a "huge weight was lifted" and how he would come out to his other friends came into perspective.

Leipold, on the other hand, had to tell his girlfriend, who was initially shocked by the news. She eventually calmed and even helped him tell his Irish Catholic family over dinner one night.

"My dad immediately took out the rosary beads and started to pray and my mother took away everyone's plates and said it was time for bed," Leipold said.

His roommate was even less understanding. After originally agreeing to keep Leipold's sexuality a secret, the roommate told others and then ransacked all of Leipold's belongings. A following night, students put a garbage can outside his room, filled it with books, lit them on fire and chanted "flamer" in the hallway.

Bertolino spent a long period of time in college not dating anyone, having ended a relationship with a woman. The moment of truth, however, came during a college conference for residence directors. A woman asked him to accompany her back to her room for the night. He turned her down and spent the following plane ride back home questioning why. It was at 35,000 feet when Bertolino realized he was gay.

As director of greek life at Colombia University, Bertolino frequently received invitations to fraternity events. Despite being asked to attend without a date to one function, he brought Leipold. The two are now invited to each formal as a couple.

People react to their sexuality in different ways, they said. But to all heterosexuals, they suggested the following: Don't run from the room screaming and don't assume the person is or isn't attracted to you.

"There is no such thing as an expert on these issues," Leipold said, "but we must try to learn as much as we can."

Said Bertolino, "Once we stop being persistent, people who need the resources will feel that they can't find them anymore. We want people to see that they are out there."
Old 03-24-2003, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Rock Knobbster
Cool Who's Qualified?

I'm not sure why this was posted, except to start a dialog about gay members of the fraternity. Let me preface this by saying I do not personally know Joe Bertolino, but I do appreciate his willingness to volunteer his services to the fraternity. He is not up for re-election to the GC, so it will be up to the GC members to decide whether or not he will become president--not the delegates at large. The question I raise is given his relative inexperience as a member of Delta Sigma Phi, is he the best qualified person for the job?

Joe is not the first member of the GC to be gay. I knew Ed Runser and he was a wonderful member. Although I am as heterosexual as they come, I have known two brothers in my own chapter who were gay and it recently came to light Jon Hockman was gay. I want to be honest in stating I would not particularly want a gay roommate, but I must acknowledge the fine people I have known who happen to be gay.

Delta Sigma Phi was founded on open membership. We are supposed to chose men of character who fit our values. What we must reconcile is how gay members fit the value of "the sacredness of the family bond" in our society today. All of us need to be open with our feelings on this issue so we can better understand each other.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Bro Knobbster, this guy just likes to rile people up.

YITBOS
Old 06-26-2003, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Rock,

You rock! I am not gay either but I do have a few gay chapter brothers, it takes some getting used too, but they have been great brothers.

I don't understand why this would be an issue either, think of the reprecussions we would have if we were the gay hating fraternity, I am not trying to stereotype but most people in higher education seem to swing that way. What kind of support would we receive on our campuses if this perception were to become a reality?

I don't think it would be good for our brothers or our organizations appearance to the rest of the Greek world.

Thanks for taking a stand for some of the brothers that are not willing to lay it on the line.

Lets not let history repeat itself in our organization, we made a mistake removing the Jewish brothers from membership, this still haunts our history today. Lets not start to make another mistake that is easily avoidable.