GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,336
0 members and 1,336 guests
No Members online

Old 03-19-2003, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

6 UPenn GLOs (incl 3 sororities) hazing?

March 19, 2003

Greek leaders, U. officials mum on investigations
In fact, a representative from the Beta Theta Pi fraternity national administrative office said that he had not yet been contacted by University officials, and he was unaware of any specific investigation into the group.

The investigations, initiated by the Office of Student Conduct immediately before spring break, follow allegations that three fraternities and three sororities -- or persons connected with them -- violated hazing and alcohol policies as well as the Code of Student Conduct.

The fraternities under investigation are Beta Theta Pi, Tau Epsilon Phi and Zeta Beta Tau. Alpha Chi Omega, Delta Delta Delta and Sigma Delta Tau are the sororities being investigated.

A representative from the TEP national headquarters stated that his office will cooperate "100 percent" with the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs, but could not provide any additional information. Representatives from the national offices of ZBT and the three sororities did not return phone calls.

The presidents of each fraternity and sorority declined comment, and neither OFSA Director Scott Reikofski nor OSC Director Michele Goldfarb could provide any new information.

Findings from the investigations are expected to be released sometime in the next two weeks.
Old 04-25-2003, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

the Betas at Penn have been cleared of any misdoing
Old 04-28-2003, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Chi Omega also cleared

According to the April 22, 2003 Daily Pennsylvanian, the Alpha Chi Omega chapter has also been cleared.

Last edited by exlurker; 05-26-2005 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Is this just another Penn ploy to strip Greeks off of Campi?

I am sure that they are getting State funds, and if this sort of thing continues, there may be a hint of harrasment via the School in violations of State and Federal Laws.

Just a thought!

I see on site about groups getting monies from the school, and as far as I know, The Greeks of My School have never gotten a dime! Period, end of story!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-01-2003, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey,
Yes, UPenn is private and Penn State is what they call "state related" (along with U of Pittsburgh and Temple). There are 14 universities in the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (Bloomsburg, California, Cheyney, Clarion, East Stroudsburg, Edinboro, Indiana, Kutztown,Lock Haven, Mansfield, Millersville, Shippensburg, Slippery Rock, West Chester Universities of Pennsylvania) Yeah, I know too much about the state system - sorry don't know about what kind of rights they have though.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to EagleChick19
Quote:
Originally posted by Livvy8
Hey,
Yes, UPenn is private and Penn State is what they call "state related" (along with U of Pittsburgh and Temple). There are 14 universities in the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (Bloomsburg, California, Cheyney, Clarion, East Stroudsburg, Edinboro, Indiana, Kutztown,Lock Haven, Mansfield, Millersville, Shippensburg, Slippery Rock, West Chester Universities of Pennsylvania) Yeah, I know too much about the state system - sorry don't know about what kind of rights they have though.
Your info is correct. I should know...I attend an SSHE school.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:31 AM

Lincoln U is also "state related."

They can't get rid of Greeks at state related or SSHE schools - believe me, if they could, they would have done it a long time ago. Although U Penn is private, they still get state & fed grants and as such can't arbitrarily remove Greeks from campus.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

As far as I know, Penn is not a school that is in any way looking to get rid of their Greek system. In fact, from my understanding, they have a huge greek scene there and many of the chapters date back to the 1800's. I also think they have "3 strike" rule so I dont know that any of these troubled orgs will be kicked out. can anyone confirm any of this ? any penn greeks out there?