GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,169
2 members and 1,167 guests
naraht, willTic

Old 01-25-2003, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

happy happy!!!!

ok so i just have to post to tell yall about how amazing things have turned out for our chapter over formal recruitment and this past week!

i should preface.... our chapter consists of the 'normal' girls' on our campus - we have an amazing sisterhood and have alot of fun - but for some reason just didn't have the allure that the others do... the thing that seems to go around during formal is "oh yeah they're nice buy you'd rather be an abc or xyz, etc" however, we really have had impressive growth since my freshman year... while quota my freshman year was 21 (the largest it's been in YEARS and went down to 14 or so the past two after that) my sorority pledged 9 sisters... while the other three chapters made quota. now, we've always managed to cor up to quota over the course of the following semester or so (i was cor'ed a month and a half after formal my freshman year) which has helped us but has been an incredible amount of work for the chapter. we've always been constantly having cor events, and the chapter's heart isn't always in it by the end of the semester...

so, on to the present.... this past formal recruitment went from jan. 13 - 18, and while i'm home for the semester taking classes here, i got to go up for first nite, fourth nite and bid day...
we seemed to do really well first and second nite - the overall theme for recruitment was candyland - it's never been sweeter to go greek - and we used our gingerbread letters from the shirts for some decorations and nametags and the girls thought it was cute.... for philanthropy we decorated ornaments to send to ronald mcdonald house for next year (it's a great craft - the girls like decorating, and it's Cheap to get clearanced ornaments after the holidays!) and they could hang the ornaments on a few trees we had around the room... well third nite (skit nite) comes around and our returns are pretty much the same as always - well, we think, at least they didnt' go down, and the women coming back are awesome .... the skit goes really well (we did grease, with the girl characters, sandy wants to go adpi - and the pink ladies decide that yeah, adpi is cool enough for them too) the girls were heard to say that we really looked like we enjoyed one another and had fun with one another etc...

well we get our acceptances for fourth nite back on the off day before pref and THEY WENT DOWN. yeah. one of my close sisters, the formal chair was pretty sad about it. but we thought hey chin up -- the girls coming back are the top of the list of who we want and we are going to rock this pref and every girl there will want US. well, we are getting back 16 girls for pref... and quota going into pref is 16. wow. we don't know what will happen. well thanks to an amazing tcc and her wonderful ideas for the little details and the amazing spirit of our sisters, and with fate on our side COMPLETELY (timing was amazing, lets just put it that way, our party started late and the sigma rho chi's knocked for us to end the party while we were still doing the ceremony - but at a PERFECT part where it totally looked like we planned it that way).

so the next day we turn up early in the suite to get ready for runout (an allegheny tradition for bid day) and we finally hear the numbers and who we've got..... bid matching took FOREVER and snap bidding went way later than planned.... and it turns out that while quota was sixteen, ONLY ONE CHAPTER MADE QUOTA off the bat.... AND the other two sororities got 13 girls each and WE GOT 12!!!!! and we definitely got women that wanted us and put us as their #1 choice, and got women that the other chapters really wanted (including someone else's legacy).... we got 12 women that fit in with the sorority amazingly well and will be wonderful sisters

bid day went extremely well - they recognized the past panhel council and as i stood up in front of the women of the sororities at our bid day bash i looked over them and realized that while we are the smallest (though not by much now!) sorority, we had the most members in attendence.... and we looked so good! we didn't look like cookie cutter girls, even though we all had on the same bid day shirts, we were all paying attention and being polite (which i can't say for all the groups) and when we were dancing and having fun during the party, we were truly having fun with one another, as well as mingling with the other sororities -- while people in the some of the other groups sat around and didn't interact, even with their own members... i was so proud...

now cor right after formal recruitment is something that the chapter has opposed to in the past - they feel that it's the new members time - and we shouldn't push numbers so soon after recruitment when we have such a great group of new members, but our tcc really helped out and said that with being only four away from quota there's no reason not to have two sisterhood events and try to fill those spots within the first week - that way we won't have to worry about it for the REST of the semester - for the first time in years - and there was no reason that it couldn't be approached to the new members in a positive way so that they could bring prospective women that they would want as sisters too.... so we had two events this past week, gave bids yesterday afternoon, and we have 4 new alphas as of today!!!!

we met quota, we should now be at total for the first time in a few years and the women we picked up are awesome! including a friend of mine who is a junior and made my nite last nite when she told me that she was going to accept her bid -- she's had adpi written all over her since the beginning, but never wanted to rush and now she's going to be my sister!

i honestly couldn't be happier, and it's the greatest feeling in the world to know that all of the hard work and belief that you have in your chapter have paid off and that the campus has noticed.... we're the only sorority that cor'ed this past week, so we're the first of the three groups that didn't make quota to cor up to it.... i'm just so proud i hope you all don't mind my amazingly long story but i just had to share how happy i am

~*~
Old 01-25-2003, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Great story!

SweetieADPi -- congrats on all your chapter's hard work -- it really seems to have paid off -- keep working now and don't rest on your laurels! It's great when a plan comes together! Way to go!
Old 01-25-2003, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to canadajen
WOO HOO!! WAY TO GO!!!!!

not only did I not mind your amazing post, I am just soo super happy for you and your sisters ~ you should truly be proud of yourselves!! I hope that everyone will read your post and recognize the true value of perserverance and real sisterhood!

CONGRATULATIONS once again ~ I wish you and your chapter nothing but the very best - yay for ADPi!!!

Fraternally,

Jennifer
AGD alumna
Delta Zeta chapter '97
Old 01-25-2003, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Sounds like the Allegheny ADPi's have a tight sisterhood! Congratulations on a rush well done!

Tracy
Old 01-25-2003, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats on your success!...One of my closest friends is a theta at Allegeny..Her name is Andraleigh, do you know her by any chance??
Old 01-25-2003, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

aw thanks everyone! i'm foreseeing a great semester for the girls...

and, yeah i know andy! she was abroad last semester right? she's my friend's little theta has a great chapter... adpi and theta have pretty much always had a really good relationship - seems like there's always at least one set of best friends in adpi and theta, and they have a strong sisterhood as well! (lets call it healthy competition... they're usually the chapter we compete for the most girls with!)

~*~

Last edited by sweetie adpi; 01-25-2003 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-25-2003, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations ADPi!

I enjoyed reading your thread...your enthusiasm is inspiring! Good luck to you all this semester!
Old 01-25-2003, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile see...

hard work and planning works in the end. congrats. we are all proud of you guys. enjoy the fun.
Old 01-25-2003, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sweetie adpi

and, yeah i know andy! she was abroad last semester right? she's my friend's little theta has a great chapter
Yeah, she just got back from England...I'm trying to sucker her into visiting me sometime this semester, I miss her so much!!! It's such a small world that you know her!!! Good luck with everything in your chapter this semester!!
Old 01-25-2003, 07:49 PM

Congrats to you and your chapter!
Old 01-26-2003, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow, your post was as great as the rush threads! I know you are so excited! We had a similar situation a few years ago (had 25 girls return for pref and we got quota at 22!) You know your sisterhood has to shine on pref night when you get 12 out of 16 girls. That is dayum good recruiting! All that hard work paid off, and I'm so thrilled for you! Congratulations, and have a blast with your new girls!
Old 01-26-2003, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

we just found out that one of the girls that we cor'ed is the sister in law of one of our Allegheny ADPi alumnae! how cool is that?

~*~
Old 01-31-2003, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Congratulations, Sweetie APi!! Allegheny is an awesome chapter, has been since Day One! Keep up the good work!

<> <> <>
honeychile
Old 01-31-2003, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

What a great story! That gave me the warm fuzzies. Thanks for sharing, and congratulations to your chapter on a job well done!
Old 02-02-2003, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking so glad!

I am so glad sweetieadpi! I met some of your UF sisters last night and they are too sweet! (i previously had not met any adpis) I'm glad your formal recruitment went well!