GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 828
2 members and 826 guests
Cookiez17, flirt5721

Old 11-27-2002, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

HELP!! Buying a Sewing Machine

HELP!! I want to buy my mother a new sewing machine for Christmas. The one she has now is OLDER than me.

I saw this one the other day and it "sounds" to me the novice sewer like the BOMB AZZ sewing machine but help me get THE PERFECT one.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...arden&n=507846

What are your suggestions? Help me make her season bright!!
Old 11-27-2002, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Gina1201
CT4,

That sewing machine looks nice! but for me, the poor college student, it seems to be on the expensive side for me . Anyhoo, I know that my grandmother always used Singer sewing machines because she said that they were the best (her opinion, not mine, since I can't sew). You might want to check out www.consumerreports.org. They test all types of products and rate them based on certain categories. Hopefully you'll find a great machine for your mom.

Good Luck!

Cause even when I'm a mess
I still put on a vest
With an 'S' on my chest
Oh yes, I'm a SUPERWOMAN
Old 11-27-2002, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

hecky yeah it is GOOD & EXPENSIVE -- car payment type expensive.

My mom has a SINGER now as well. I saw a SINGER that has 40 stitch something or the other so I will have to check that out.

Thanks for the tip keep em coming.
Old 11-27-2002, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BLUTANG Send a message via Yahoo to BLUTANG
sewing machines

as a former textiles/design major - i know any good sewing machine is going to cost you upwards of $200 or $250. If your mom needs all the computerized stuff, go ahead and get this one, it looks like a fantastic investment. Sewing machines are those purchases one need only make once or twice in their lifetime (unless you're running a business).

Also consider going into a Sears or other multi-purpose department store to get a feel for the various features offered in each price range. That may help you decide on a fair amount to spend, even without knowing too much about a particular model or manufacturer. Hope this helps!

------
BLU
Old 11-29-2002, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Don't get a Euro-Pro for your mom unless she lives in a city with a good, sewing machine repair company or sales business that she could call for troubleshooting and help or regular repairs. Also be careful about bringing any "old school" sewer into the new millennium with a machine with 100 bells and whistles as it might never make it out of the box!
Old 11-29-2002, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Well my mom does live in a big city and she is not "old school" where she will let a sewing machine get the best of her. My mom loves computers so I thought that this sounded like a good match for her.

What are some specific alternatives to the Euro Pro?