Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, Duece464
» Online Users: 936
2 members and 934 guests
navane, Xidelt

Old 09-10-2002, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Graduate admissions tests

Anyone out there taken both the GRE and the GMAT?

I had been planning on going back to school for my MBA, but I've decided instead to get an MPA. And the MPA programs require the GRE, not the GMAT - thank goodness, since it is waaayyyy easier (at least the new one without the logic section is)!

However, one of the programs I really like is the only MPA program that requires the GMAT. I don't really fancy taking two tests, especially if I have to put in a lot of time studying for a harder test that only one school cares about. My practice tests indicate I will get an OK score at least, but is it worth putting in a lot of effort for studying for a great score? Or should I not even bother and apply somewhere else?

Any advice would be appreciated - thank you!
Old 09-10-2002, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I just completed my MPA. I took the GRE after more than two years out of college and did VERY well on it. All I did to prepare was to run through a few of the practice tests on the GRE website. I was actually very impressed and pleased with myself after getting my score. I had heard all sorts of horror stories about graduate tests, but it wasn't nearly as stressful as some lead you to believe.

I'm not sure about the GMAT, but I understand it is considerably tougher than the GRE. So, I would recommend taking the GRE and researching other MPA programs that do NOT require the GMAT. Unless of course you are wanting to focus on the management/business side of an MPA program. That might make a difference. But I'm pretty sure that almost all MPA programs prefer and require the GRE over the GMAT.

I hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!!
Old 09-11-2002, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you!

So far in studying, the GRE seems way easier. I was pleasantly surprised by my practice test score.

What makes this difficult is that the school that requires the GMAT is actually my alma mater, so it would be fun to go back. But I think I've decided against it.

If I can ask, where did you go?