GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Phi Epsilon
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,347
2 members and 1,345 guests
chitownxo, John

Old 09-04-2002, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

fake Sig Ep item on eBay?

Can a Sig Ep say whether or not this item at eBay is a fake? The skull doesn't look right - too cartoonish.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2137789904

The same seller is selling lots of badge-like jewelry that just doesn't look right to me, and I want to figure out what his deal is.
Old 09-05-2002, 04:02 AM
GreekChat Member

i dont know about the sig ep badge, but the sig kap one doesnt look right...the letters are too fat and the sigma is funny lookin.. plus the enamel is shoddy looking.. i dont know
Old 09-05-2002, 08:36 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know this seller, but based on the front/back pictures I can say with confidence that the badges they are offering are genuine. The construction of the Sig Ep pin is identical to the ones I have from the same time period. Same goes for the Sigma Kappa pin, which bears the Balfour shield logo that was used in the 1960s and 70s.

It's true that sometimes the letters look "fat" on certain pins. This is normal variation in the manufacturing process and does not mean the pin is a fake. Modern gold pins are die stamped, and after a certain period of time the die becomes dull. When this happens the cut becomes a bit dull and the letters and symbols can look fat and undefined.

Enamel also shows variations in the manufacturing process, plus it can get scratched and pitted over time. The enamel on these 2 pins looks normal to me considering they are 30-40 years old.

Faking an individual gold fraternity or sorority pin would be incredibly difficult. The cost involved in having the molds and dies made, doing the enamel work and setting the stones would far exceed the price you could get for it on ebay. So it makes no sense to do it.

If the pictures and description were fuzzy, you might have a legitimate concern that what you get is a hunk of plastic with fake pearls glued on (this has happened in the past with Delta Chi pins). But this seller has provided clear front and back pictures of the pins and their feedback is good. So if you're inclined to bid on the auction, I would say bid with confidence.

Hope this info is helpful.

wptw