Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, Duece464
» Online Users: 994
2 members and 992 guests
navane, Xidelt

Old 08-31-2002, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Political Science Majors

I am currently a senior in majoring in political science. I would like to know if anyone is a political science major, if so what are or were you career plans, did you do any internships (if so where)? Did you do volunteer work? etc.

I have been doing a lot of research on careers in political science and I am unsure what I really want to do besides administrative work or something within governmental relations. I like to be creative, a great organizer for events, great interpersonal skills, likes to help others. I would really like to help homeless people, teen moms, unwed single mothers, children w/no health care or something dealing with human services.

My undergrad advisor for the political science department is so wacky, I am not even sure if he could help me. I have been in the process of going to different workshops held at my school that would be of great help in helping me choose, finding a mentor, and volunteering with various organizations.

I am not trying to pry in anyones business, I just would like to know since mostly everyone attends or has obtained a degree from a institution of higher education.
Old 09-01-2002, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to EagleChick19
I'm a Poli Sci major. I'm also minoring in History. PM me if you need help!
Old 09-02-2002, 03:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shark_in_Skirt Send a message via Yahoo to Shark_in_Skirt
This fall I'm going to be a Poly-Sci major, with an emphasis on Law and Society, and a minor in International Relations.

Thus far, I haven't done any volunteer work related to my major, but give me some time. I'm just a lowly freshman. ; )

As far as my career plans go, I'm planning on becoming a lawyer (so obviously I'll be going to law school after undergrad) or a lobbyist. My dad always jokes that I'm going to become a lobbyist for tobacco companies because my political views are generally pretty morally bankrupt (although I myself am not, I swear!).

*Mischu, Have you thought about law school? Even if you don't truly want to become a lawyer, perhaps you could "kill time" there to decide what it is that you truly want to do with your education. Good luck to you!

And good luck to all you other poly-sci majors out there!

XOXO,
Annie.
Old 09-02-2002, 07:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDHoney
I'm a senior poli sci major and I'm applying to law school this fall. As forvolunteering/internships, I've gotten involved in 3 local political campaigns (a state rep, a county prosecutor, and a city councilperson). All 3 have been great experience with a lot of great connections. Also, this fall I'm interning for the state rep whose campaign I worked on. I'll be doing some campaign stuff and some stuff in his law office (sorry if this is vague...I start tomorrow, so I'll know more then). Anyway, local political campaigns are always looking for volunteers and the connections can lead to some great things, so you might want to check that out.