GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,151
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,102
0 members and 1,102 guests
No Members online

Old 08-08-2002, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Sesame Street's first Gordon dies: Holly Robinson-Peete's father

First 'Gordon' on 'Sesame Street' dead at 65
August 7, 2002 Posted: 9:59 AM EDT (1359 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Matt Robinson, a writer for the 1980s sitcom "The Cosby Show" and the first actor to play kindly neighbor Gordon on the children's show "Sesame Street," died in his sleep Monday after a 20-year struggle with Parkinson's disease. He was 65.

Robinson began his show-business career in 1963 as a writer, producer and on-air talent at TV station WCAU in Philadelphia.

In 1969, he took the role of Gordon on the PBS children's program "Sesame Street" and also performed the voice of purple-faced puppet Roosevelt Franklin. Robinson remained with the show until 1971.

Robinson went on to produce and write the films "Save The Children" (1973) and "Amazing Grace" (1974). He also wrote several plays.

As a television writer, he penned scripts for "Sanford and Son" and "Eight is Enough."

He joined with fellow Philadelphia native Bill Cosby in 1983 as a staff writer and producer for the comedian's NBC family sitcom "The Cosby Show."

Though impaired muscle coordination from his Parkinson's disorder made work difficult at times, Robinson remained with the show for seven seasons.

Isn't she expecting again? That's so sad. I remember seeing him on her Intimate Portrait.

EDIT: Like Holly always would say..."He's not the bald Gordon." I remember the "bald" Gordon, moreso than her father.

Last edited by AKA2D '91; 08-08-2002 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-08-2002, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

This is sad. My heart goes out to Holly and her family, as well as the Sesame Street family. "Gordon" touched a whole lot of kids.
Man, I still watch sometimes.... (just to recapture the memories and magic, of course! )
Old 08-08-2002, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

a peaceful one

You stated that he died in his sleep so hopefully it was a peaceful one.. I grew up watching Sesame Street and the Electric Company with Morgan Freeman. Did you know that Morgan Freeman has a club in my hometown of Clarksdale, MS. I saw him last month my sister and I were riding around.
Old 08-09-2002, 02:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by RedefinedDiva
This is sad. My heart goes out to Holly and her family, as well as the Sesame Street family. "Gordon" touched a whole lot of kids.
Man, I still watch sometimes.... (just to recapture the memories and magic, of course! )
Me too! I still watch, wishing I could be a kid again for just one day 9that was my show)...My prayers are with the family..