GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,431
4 members and 1,427 guests
John, Low D Flat

Old 07-25-2002, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking Recruitment at USC!!

HI!
I am new to this board, but I am so glad I found it! I am going to be a freshman at the University of Southern California in about a month and am so excited about getting to go through rush!! However, I do have a few questions:
1) Is anyone else on this board from USC?
2) What should I wear? Nowhere in my rush packet did it mention clothes anywhere! What do girls at other universities wear? Is it true that wearing the wrong thing can really hurt your chances of getting a bid?
3) Besides taking me to the different houses and handling preffing, what exactly does a rho chi do?

I am so excited about rush, and hearing all the girls on this board talk so lovingly about their affiliations makes me even more eager!
Old 07-25-2002, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

OK, I'm from the other USC, so the way we do things may be different, but here are the basics...

First round, wear something dressy-casual. It's the girls' first impression of you, so keep that in mind. Second round, something a little more dressy, but still sort of casual, third round dressy, and fourth round, formal. Your first day will be aquaintances with the rho chi, anyway, so she'll tell you if this is different. The rho chi is basically your "mom" for the week. She'll comfort you if you don't get invited back to a sorority you wanted. She'll congratulate you if you do. At my USC, she also carries around all of our stuff (lipstick, make-up, brushes, gum, etc...) in a huge bag so we don't carry in purses. As far as the getting cut for how you dress thing... sometimes this is true. Sororities look at how you present yourself, because eventually you'll be representing their sorority. If you get cut from a sorority that doesn't like the way you dress, then you weren't meant to be in that sorority, anyway. The thing is, and my rho chi told us this a LOT of times, you will go where you're meant to be. It hurts at first to be cut. Especially if you really think you hit it off with the girls (that happened with me... I was even told by the girl, "I want to introduce you to some more sisters, but we'll have plenty of time for that, later"). Eventually, though, you'll end up where you belong. GOOD LUCK!!!!!
Old 07-25-2002, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

chloe - on the bid day thing... bid day is usually more casual than the other days of rush, so i (personally) would not wear jeans during the other rounds. i go to usd (san diego), and while our rush is not as competitive as usc, i have partied on usc's greek row and kind of got the feel from the people i met that usc and usd would kind of be the same (clothing-wise) during rush. the only difference is that SC rushes in the fall and SD rushes in the spring.

the clothes i wore for rush (recruitment, whatever) mainly consisted of nice pants and skirts, and my clothes got dressier each day.

but ya to answer your question i would dress equally for the first two days - the capris and nice shirts sounds cute. i dont know about denim though. it MIGHT be a bit too casual, but then again, you are rushing around september (not january), so it might be okay at usc... i would lean more toward skirts and tops though...

for cute places for rush clothes you could head down to 3rd st. promenade and check out anthropologie.. i know its a little pricy sometimes, but their clothes are SO cute and i think they blend the trendy and preppy looks perfectly! ya!

i dont know if this helped at all, but i tried! if you need any more help or insight, im here for ya! good luck sweetheart!

xoxo, chantillylace
Old 07-26-2002, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

ps. be sure to post your rush story!
Old 07-26-2002, 01:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
I went to USC, feel free to PM me.

Rush was SEVEN days long when I was there!!!!
Old 07-26-2002, 02:41 AM
GreekChat Member

At my school our rush is 6 days long. Day 1 well i should say the first round is 2 days long. I would say dress about the same both days. At my school we(the members) wear the same outfits for the first 2 days since we are only meeting 1/2 the girls on each day. Now i am not saying to wear the same outfit on both days but if you wear a cute sun dress on day 1, do not feel on day 2 you need to get dressier, because remember you will be going to the other houses you have not gone to yet. How to dress is important, but not as important at personality. you are ot obviously going to want to show up to pref night(which is at my school semi formal, like a nice cocktail dress) in jeans. But your rho chi should help you with all that. here is the types of outfits at my school a PNM should wear during theweek,

Round 1 days 1/2- a cute trendy outfit. jeans are ok this day
round 2 day 3- a skirt/capris. cute trendy but more formal
round 3 day 4- a sundress or a skirt. try not to wear pants.
round 4 day 5(pref night)- a nice cocktail dress. a short more elegant dress
round 5 bid day- jeans the house givs you a shirt so wear a bra that can go under any color shirt