GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

» GC Stats
Members: 326,144
Threads: 115,588
Welcome to our newest member, Toeshoes
» Online Users: 1,347
0 members and 1,347 guests
No Members online

Old 02-07-2014, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

The Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

ITT we discuss the Winter Olympics. So far, I'm enjoying the opening ceremony. I thought it would be fun to post about it during the winter games. I've always enjoyed the Winter Olympics --much more than the Summer Olympics.
HARRIS/WALZ 2024
Old 02-08-2014, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I enjoyed them too. I've been thinking about my trip to Russia all week. It's been MANY years ago now (perestroika/Boris Yeltsen era), but it was such a great trip. And from watching, I feel like I need to re-read War and Peace. I remembered snippets, but not enough of it.

I love watching the obscure sports and marveling at someone making Biathlon or Curling their life's work. It takes so much determination and sacrifice; I am continually humbled at the thought.

I HATE watching all the ridiculous bios and the overly heavy editing of the events so that all you see are the medal winners and the Americans. If they cut out 5 minutes of the sappy crap they could show a lot more of, I don't know, SPORTS!
Old 02-08-2014, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I liked the opening ceremonies pretty well. Parts of them reminded me of the Atlanta opening ceremonies. I just don't get the slogan: Hot. Cool. Yours. It sounds like a slogan for a fast food restaurant instead of the Olympics.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, Sochi isn't exactly cold so I think they're exaggerating to hot, along with the double meanings of both hot and cool. I like it, but you're right; I expected to see a company logo (Coke, McDonald's, Chevy) after the slogan. It's a little TOO slick.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Some of these commercials are better than the ones during the Super Bowl.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 02-08-2014, 02:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
Some of these commercials are better than the ones during the Super Bowl.
Ha, I know right?

The opening ceremonies were actually pretty awesome. That floor was amazing.. and genius. The parts with just people and the images on the floor were some of my favorites. So simple (but probably flippin' expensive).

@~/~~~~
Old 02-08-2014, 02:54 AM
GreekChat Member

I liked the horses, and I liked the onion dome inflatables. I realize that the icon positioned at the missing Olympic ring was a stylized snowflake, but my first thought was BP.

Last edited by pinksequins; 02-08-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Ballet! So beautiful and so appropriate for Russia.

Be a Volunteer!
Old 02-08-2014, 05:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Being in the UK, I watched the opening ceremony live whilst DH was at work, we got an unedited version, the BBC did a fabulous job, although I thought the opening of London was better (only saying this because I got to go).

I giggled when I saw the Snowflake miss-fire (someones getting fired for that), twitter blew up saying it was too afraid to come out!

I know its very early morning back home at the moment, but currently watching the finals for the first ever Snowboard Slope Style event, its amazing!
Old 02-08-2014, 05:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKGCaroline View Post
Being in the UK, I watched the opening ceremony live whilst DH was at work, we got an unedited version, the BBC did a fabulous job, although I thought the opening of London was better (only saying this because I got to go).

I giggled when I saw the Snowflake miss-fire (someones getting fired for that), twitter blew up saying it was too afraid to come out!

I know its very early morning back home at the moment, but currently watching the finals for the first ever Snowboard Slope Style event, its amazing!
Watching this.. it's amazing! The Olympics just got so much cooler!
Old 02-08-2014, 05:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip86 View Post
Watching this.. it's amazing! The Olympics just got so much cooler!
I agree

#KudosToSageKotsenberg
Old 02-08-2014, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I think the London opening ceremony tops pretty much everything.

Sochi was really, really good, though. The integration of animation and dancing to create effects was pretty amazing and their designers were really great. Loved the horses and the sun.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh I agree, the opening ceremony was great, like ASTAlumna06, I thought the floor animation specifically was just spectacular, the ballet was perfect. I must admit, I'm a super Olympics fan, I cried during the lighting of the torch!
Old 02-08-2014, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I thought, "Someone's getting shipped to Siberia for that one!"
Old 02-08-2014, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

If anyone is watching the team figure skating event right now, Tri-Delta Meryl Davis will be competing in just a few minutes.

And she and Charlie were outstanding!

Last edited by violetgeek; 02-08-2014 at 11:47 AM. Reason: add results