GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,169
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,101
0 members and 1,101 guests
No Members online

Old 09-23-2013, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Question for all

Hey , names Chris fields i live in central Florida im 18 years old. Due to my having a child on the way and lack of funds i was not able to go to college and more than likely will not be able to in the near future. It has always been my dream since i was younger to join a fraternity and although i know at times that non collegiate fraternities are frowned upon by collegiate fraternities i would still like to fulfill my ambition to join one regardless of the circumstances that life has given me. My question to all of you in the Greek life being , are there any respectable non collegiate fraternities that anyone would recommend? i would prefer suggestions that have a good reputation and are. are respectable. Any help would be truly appreciated , thank you .
Old 09-23-2013, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfields431 View Post
Hey , names Chris fields i live in central Florida im 18 years old. Due to my having a child on the way and lack of funds i was not able to go to college and more than likely will not be able to in the near future. It has always been my dream since i was younger to join a fraternity and although i know at times that non collegiate fraternities are frowned upon by collegiate fraternities i would still like to fulfill my ambition to join one regardless of the circumstances that life has given me. My question to all of you in the Greek life being , are there any respectable non collegiate fraternities that anyone would recommend? i would prefer suggestions that have a good reputation and are. are respectable. Any help would be truly appreciated , thank you .
I don't know of any specifically, but if you're really in a bind financially and time commitment wise due to becoming a father, I would suggest you take a long look at fraternity membership and why it's so important to you that you'd join some no collegiate "frat". You're low on income with a child coming, focus on that. I don't mean sound glib, but your chance at a typically 18 yr old college and greek life experience has more than likely sailed.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

If you had gone to college, what type of fraternity would you have rushed? Large, national general fraternity? NPHC/African American? Latino, Multicultural?
Old 09-23-2013, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

To respond to nanners first it is not as simple as saying that i would have liked the college "frat" life. that seems to insinuate that i am attempting to find a fraternity to party , drink , and otherwise short my duties as a father. this could not be further from the truth i look more toward the tradition of greek fraternities and the sense of brotherhood and camaraderie that comes with it, although my opportunity for "college frat life" has indeed sailed i was hoping to find someone who would know more about non collegiate fraternities as i was told by a couple of my friends that there are some out there. Responding to sen i was hoping to find a national general fraternity but am open to suggestions however i am white.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

So I am not sure that there is a comparable non-collegiate Greek-letter fraternity that will give a vibe similar to traditional fraternity experience.

But I also don't believe your ship has totally sailed. You are 18. When your kid gets older, you might have a greater opportunity to attend a traditional university with fraternity life. (I know, my understanding of teen parenthood is almost exclusively from Teen Mom, BUT....)

I think you should chill for a little while. Enjoy being a dad. Take time to figure out what your next educational steps should be. Map that out.

After you map out your future a little better, then start thinking about fraternal options. Traditional fraternity life may still be an option. If it is not, then you might consider other fraternal orgs like becoming a Freemason.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfields431 View Post
Responding to sen i was hoping to find a national general fraternity but am open to suggestions however i am white.
Masonic orders and similar organizations used to fulfill this roll but have been dwindling. Depending on where you live it might be the thing for you.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you, I have considered all those options but as of now i am planning to apprentice a trade, i would have preferred a traditional college experience but being that i have another life to take care of i don't have time for that but still need a steady full time job which is why i chose to learn a trade being that it is a much quicker route to a career . I am just not sure i will ever have the opportunity to go to a university full time. However though i understand that my options are severely limited i just wanted to see if anybody would have any suggestions or information to point me in the right direction. Thank you for the suggestion though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
So I am not sure that there is a comparable non-collegiate Greek-letter fraternity that will give a vibe similar to traditional fraternity experience.

But I also don't believe your ship has totally sailed. You are 18. When your kid gets older, you might have a greater opportunity to attend a traditional university with fraternity life. (I know, my understanding of teen parenthood is almost exclusively from Teen Mom, BUT....)

I think you should chill for a little while. Enjoy being a dad. Take time to figure out what your next educational steps should be. Map that out.

After you map out your future a little better, then start thinking about fraternal options. Traditional fraternity life may still be an option. If it is not, then you might consider other fraternal orgs like becoming a Freemason.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

We do have several mason lodges where i live and it is definitely something i have considered but i was looking for something with brothers more around my age and my lifestyle as ignorant as that sounds lol i am just not sure how well id fit in or how much i would have in common with members of the masons, elcs, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
Masonic orders and similar organizations used to fulfill this roll but have been dwindling. Depending on where you live it might be the thing for you.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I think you might be thinking too many steps ahead. Start the trade school (good for you by the way for making a realistic plan) get the whole fatherhood thing going and just take a deep breath for a few minutes. Once you have all that going, if you feel like you have some time to spare, find some networking groups to join. As you make some new friends outside your old circles, some opportunities may well present themselves.

And while the common fraternal or civic orgs might be full of old guys, they would probably be thrilled to have you and you could meet some fantastic mentors.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you, as i have been thinking about it more the idea of a organization such as the masons does sound more realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I think you might be thinking too many steps ahead. Start the trade school (good for you by the way for making a realistic plan) get the whole fatherhood thing going and just take a deep breath for a few minutes. Once you have all that going, if you feel like you have some time to spare, find some networking groups to join. As you make some new friends outside your old circles, some opportunities may well present themselves.

And while the common fraternal or civic orgs might be full of old guys, they would probably be thrilled to have you and you could meet some fantastic mentors.