GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek History Fraternity and Sorority historical discussions. Chat about all topics related to Greek history here.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,228
0 members and 1,228 guests
No Members online

Old 08-28-2013, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Absorb, absorb, absorb!! Meh!

Hello.

Does anyone know of any sororities that were not absorbed by an NPC. That just closed their doors. Kind of like Iota Alpha Pi? So many locals were also absorbed by bigger NPCs. Does anyone know of a sorority (local or not) that just closed or disaffiliated?

thank you!
Old 08-28-2013, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Collegiate Sorosis at the University of Michigan. It is no longer in existence.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:46 AM
Banned

According to the Bairds Manuals, Phi Mu Gamma never merged with anyone. There were some local sororities, and many fraternities that closed their doors without merging with any other group. From the Bairds Manuals, and old Banta's Greek Exchanges, it seems the groups that did not merge were typically from schools where the greek system was abolished.

Interesting thread.

BG

Update: Mt. Holyoke is listed as one of those schools where the greek letter societies, most of which were founded in the 1800s, closed the system down in 1912. All the groups there did not merge with any others.

Last edited by badgeguy; 08-29-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Also, many of the junior college sororities seemed to have just closed down and didn't merge.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgeguy View Post

BG

Update: Mt. Holyoke is listed as one of those schools where the greek letter societies, most of which were founded in the 1800s, closed the system down in 1912. All the groups there did not merge with any others.
Funny you should mention MHC. I'm in the middle of writing a blog post about the groups (and linking it to some research of theirs). In the early Sorority Handbooks, Ida Shaw Martin included information about the groups at the women's colleges. There are still some groups at Wellesley that have Greek letters, although they consider themsleves literary societies more than sororities, ISM classified them as sororities.

The women's colleges are really a horse of a different color. Goucher was one of a few that had a thriving Panhellenic system, but they were forced to close when the college moved from downtown Baltimore out to Towson. (My mother-in-law was there during those years and her Alpha Phi chapter closed while she was in it).

The traditions at Mount Holyoke mirror some of the traditions in GLOs. Needing white clothing for the alumnae parade is one.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

From my research I found that Phi Mu Gamma merged with an honorary art society and they kept the letters Phi Mu Gamma and re-lettered and dropped some chapters. I am not sure if this sorority is still in existence as an honorary...but I assume not since a simple Google search just comes up with anything I've written about for PMG. Ha.

Thanks for the help folks.

I also came across Kappa Sigma Tau. Apparently it had four chapters and only the Delta chapter at Lake Forest College went AXiD in 1932. The other three chapters just dissolved...

Also, I love how the same three or four people post about defunct/absorbed GLOs. We should start a club. Ha.