» Online Users: 1,466
1 members and 1,465 guests
Xidelt

Old 07-11-2013, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Target Ends Relation with Deen...Except That's a Bit Pot/Kettle

Target Admits To Using Racist Training Documents

Quote:
"This document instructs managers to note differences among Hispanic employees, and states the following:

"a. Food: not everyone eats tacos and burritos;
"b. Music: not everyone dances to salsa;
"c. Dress: not everyone wears a sombrero;
"d. Mexicans (lower education level, some may be undocumented);
"e. Cubans (Political refugees, legal status, higher education level); and
"f. They may say 'OK, OK' and pretend to understand, when they do not, just to save face."

Oh, how I love irony. Fire Paula Deen for racism...use racist documents. Well done. Sufficient level of amusement achived. And yes, I'm ok feeling amused because it's being handled.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

A lot of people are forgetting that the controversy began because of accusations of workplace harassment (racial, sexual, etc) -- not usage of the n-word in 1980.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
A lot of people are forgetting that the controversy began because of accusations of workplace harassment (racial, sexual, etc) -- not usage of the n-word in 1980.
Exactly why this is ironic...their lawsuit is over workplace racism.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Sometimes fallout goes a lot further than people expect. Target is a good corporate citizen, and I would like to see the rest of the document from which these blurbs were pulled. But if it really is documented racism, then they've got some work to do and they either will update their manuals or they'll pay the price.

I do not think this is comparable to Paula Deen who, as far as I've been able to glean, is not sorry for terrible treatment of her employees. We'll see how Target handles their moment in the sun.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Exactly why this is ironic...their lawsuit is over workplace racism.
And sexual harassment. Since this thing started, I've been wondering if the "JUSTICE FOR PAULA" movement would exist if the racial element was removed. If it was just sexual harassment, they would probably have her head on a plate.

Anywho, I doubt that Target (the corporation) created the training documents that Target (the local warehouse) used. Sounds like some site managers were trying to be funny. I don't see the irony in the situation.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

What exactly is the sexual harassment claim against Deen? There hasn't really been any talk or mention of it in the media.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
What exactly is the sexual harassment claim against Deen? There hasn't really been any talk or mention of it in the media.
She isn't the one who did the harassing, it was Bubba (her brother).
Old 07-12-2013, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
She isn't the one who did the harassing, it was Bubba (her brother).
Which should affect her endorsements how exactly? The point I'm trying to make is that this IS all about Deen's racism and her using the N-word...nothing more or less. If this woman was just suing on the basis of being harassed by "Bubba" it wouldn't have made the news as it did and Deen most likely would have come out with clean hands in the end.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Bubba is a manager at (one or more of) Paula's restaurant(s). Allegedly, she was aware of the complaints, but did nothing about it. This is not only about her saying the n-word years and years ago.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Except for the whole education thing (although Mexico does have pretty awful public ed and Cuba's programs are stellar), from my dealings with Latinos, that's pretty spot on. Especially the last part about "Okay, okay." Right now, I have a child welfare case where the caseworker interviewed the family and children in English when they are not fluent in English, but rather Spanish and a young child was removed from the home based upon a flawed intake process. I've basically been given the same lesson as this Target memo from our local Latino Community Center and am working on putting together a cultural competency continuing ed course with them.

That last little bit would be important for managers to know. You have to be sure your employees understand what you are saying.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-12-2013, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Bubba is a manager at (one or more of) Paula's restaurant(s). Allegedly, she was aware of the complaints, but did nothing about it. This is not only about her saying the n-word years and years ago.
Its true that the lawsuit isn't only about her racist remarks but all of the fallout she is receiving IS about her using certain words and wanting to host an antebellum wedding. Look what's reported in the media and social sites about this whole story..it's all about Paula and the N-word, Bubba and the sexual harassment claims are barely even mentioned..I don't see how you can honestly think that if it was only about Bubba the public would want her head on a platter.