GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,391
0 members and 1,391 guests
No Members online

Old 05-19-2013, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
This is just so horrible and sad. I can't even imagine this happening so close to school. I just want to hug everyone!

I found this too. http://www.hofstra.edu/StudentAffair...reek_ifsc.html It looks like Beta Sigma Phi is also on that unrecognized groups list too.
Beta Sigma Phi can exist as a community chapter made of college students. I was part of one. It does not need to be recognized but chapters should obey campus rules when it comes to advertising etc.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelPhiSig View Post
Beta Sigma Phi can exist as a community chapter made of college students. I was part of one. It does not need to be recognized but chapters should obey campus rules when it comes to advertising etc.
Yes, I realize that. I was just pointing it out as there seemed to be some confusion about affiliations etc. I thought it was rather odd that Beta Sigma Phi was called out among groups that were all kicked off campus but it looked like they were unofficially still operating somehow with a kind of strong statement on the school's web site.

We would like to advise all students and parents/guardians that there are groups of University students that wrongfully attempt to function and are not recognized by the University. For your own well-being, we discourage you from attending their events and from affiliating with these organizations. Known unrecognized groups include:*

Hofstra University does not advise or control the actions of these off-campus groups. These groups have been advised by the University and their former National Headquarters to cease ALL operations, including recruitment, education, induction of new members, and the sponsoring of and/or participation in on or off-campus programs.* Unrecognized groups, which do not have any supervision from the University or a national organization, have been shown to have high rates of hazing.* Affiliation with these groups is a violation of the Hofstra Student Code of Conduct and may subject students to University disciplinary action.

As a student, if you are recruited by or have questions about unrecognized student groups, please contact the Office of Student Leadership and Activities at (516) 463-6914 or Email Us. For information about recognized fraternities and sororities on campus, please visit our website.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I thought it was rather odd that Beta Sigma Phi was called out among groups that were all kicked off campus but it looked like they were unofficially still operating somehow with a kind of strong statement on the school's web site.
I think it just boils down to the school covering its butt, regardless of BSP's disciplinary record or lack thereof.