GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,164
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 1,051
2 members and 1,049 guests
Sciencewoman

Old 02-19-2013, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

So I get on FB and see a message that Beta Tau chapter was placed on indefinite suspension by IHQ earlier today. I didn't hear about this until, like right now. From reading that email it seems to me that whoever wrote it was striving for "fratire", especially with the butt-chugging references and the over all ridiculousness of it. Personally, I don't find it offensive and this wouldn't have gone anywhere while I was an undergrad but it just drives home the fact that chapters need to remember that social media sees all...
Old 02-19-2013, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
Personally, I don't find it offensive and this wouldn't have gone anywhere while I was an undergrad but it just drives home the fact that chapters need to remember that social media sees all...
And that when social media sees all, the audience becomes far bigger than the intended audience, so you may have gone well beyond the group that will get an intended joke.

I'm not at all unfamiliar with fratire, but it completely went over my head in this instance if that's what was intended. That well may because I saw the pictures first, and I did find them offensive.* That probably colored how I read the email.

* Others' mileage on whether the pictures in and of themselves are offensive may vary, of course. I'm that guy who every four years wishes the US Olympic Committee would instruct athletes that is not appropriate to drape the flag around their shoulders for a vistory lap.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Why? I'm really curious as to what you see here that is a shut down-able offense.
Hazing, alcohol abuse, possible butt chugging, etc.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 02-19-2013, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
I didn't hear about this until, like right now. From reading that email it seems to me that whoever wrote it was striving for "fratire", especially with the butt-chugging references and the over all ridiculousness of it. Personally, I don't find it offensive and this wouldn't have gone anywhere while I was an undergrad but it just drives home the fact that chapters need to remember that social media sees all...
That's kind of where I'm headed. This just hits too many ripped from the headlines notes of idiocy to be real.

My guess is that the chapter will be fine, but will probably be advised to adopt a more stringent social media policy.

As for the use of the American flag, well...

Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 02-19-2013, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ LOL, not helping the case for me, Kevin.

What can I say -- I'm the Eagle Scout son of a WWII vet/Scoutmaster. This offends me as well:

Old 02-19-2013, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Hazing, alcohol abuse, possible butt chugging, etc.
Got it. I didn't read it as though those things were actually happening, but yes, you are right.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't get me started on violations of the flag code . . . drives me crazy. The Texas flag, alas, is the victim of many crimes against its dignity.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Yup, Nationals suspended them: http://www.annarbor.com/news/fratern...leaked-online/
Old 02-20-2013, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

From IHQ-
Quote:
The International Fraternity believes in and respects the right to Freedom of Expression, even if such expression is meant satirically or in jest. While the photos have garnered significant attention and may be offensive to some, the Fraternity’s primary concern lies in the reference to hazing and alcohol abuse – both of which are issues that have negatively affected Pi Kappa Alpha along with many other student organizations.

The suspension of operations is on an interim basis. The Chapter has already issued an apology and once an educational plan of action is proposed, the suspension will be lifted. The Fraternity hopes to take this opportunity to turn this incident into a teaching moment.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
I'm with you...this isn't as horrific as many make it out to be. It's meant to be tongue in cheek and satire. The pictures of the guys in the flags doesn't bother me...because we see shit like this all the time, and nobody cares!

But maybe the education program can include the Flag Code: http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Got it. I didn't read it as though those things were actually happening, but yes, you are right.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

For me and MC - courtesy of Emily Dickinson

I'm Nobody! Who are you?
Are you – Nobody – too?
Then there's a pair of us!
Don't tell! they'd advertise – you know!

How dreary – to be – Somebody!
How public – like a Frog –
To tell one's name – the livelong June –
To an admiring Bog!
Old 02-20-2013, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Yikes. Somehow I missed that gem.

I know Pike HQ must be less than pleased, to put it mildly. But if my son pulled something like this, HQ would not be what he'd need to worry about most.

Amen to that.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, Belle, and well done with the Belle of Amherst!

Yes, we see it all the time. But there are actually lots of people who care.

To be clear, there is a difference between clothing that includes red and white stripes and white stars on blue in such a way as to suggest or recall the American flag:

and actually using a flag as clothing or costume or wrapping oneself in a flag. The former isn't prohibited under the Flag Code; the latter is.

Whether it's tasteful can, of course, be whole 'nother matter.