Threads: 115,582
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,321
2 members and 1,319 guests
John, PhoenixAttain

Old 06-17-2002, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down Sapphire Ball mishaps

Alrighty, I know someone mentioned it, I think it was Jess_pom... And I so here I am starting it! YIKES!

Well, this year was the first time we at Iota Gamma got to experience the Sapphire Ball. Considering we didn't know anything about it, or what really to do, I think it went pretty well.

Well, even though the Ball went well, the day of the Ball was HORRENDOUS!!!!

First of all, I didn't have a date. So of course I was feeling like a loser, because it seemed like all of my sisters were gonna have some fabulous guy to be with the whole night, and I was gonna be stuck by myself. (what was I thinking???)

But I was going to be alright, because I was going to dazzle my sisters and their guests with my appearance. (by the way, I'm mostly the jeans and tee shirt type of gal...) So, I pulled out my Prom dress, and took it to the place that I had it made at, to make some alterations; like take the zipper off, and put a criss-cross satin ribbon there, instead.

Everything was great... So I decided that I was going to get my hair and nails done. I had already made an appointment with my hair stylist, and was ready to go out the door, when my mom's like, "Beth, do you think you can take me with you?" Oh, yeah, my mom's in a wheelchair... So of course I take her with me. And she planned to get her hair cut, while I was getting my nails done.

So my nails are done in the color of my dress, and Candy is finally done working magic on my hair, when I realized that it's 3:45pm, and the shop that I had my dress made at closes at 4!!!! YIKES! I call the owner, and asked her if she would be able to wait a few minutes, while I hurry over there, to pick up my dress. She told me that she would leave it next door, at the Vietnamese Restaurant (her friend owns it) and that I can pay her the next day.

*sigh of relief*

At 4:05pm, I show up to the restaurant, and ask for my dress. But wait, they have no idea what I'm talking about!!!! I explained that Vil next door advised me that she would leave my dress with the owner next door. The owner came out of the back, and once again told me that he had no idea what I was talking about.

(WTF???!!!)

I run next door, and look in the window at the dresses... Sure enough, there's mine, hanging on the wall, waiting to be picked up. And of course, there's no one inside! (she forgot to take it next door!!!)

Basically by this time I'm in tears. I'm so mad and just generally upset, that all I could do was cry.

Alrighty, so you wanna know what I ended up doing, dontcha???

Luckily, I still had my Winter Formal dress. I ended up wearing that. It's a purplish color, where as my Prom dress is a deep red color. (Just think about how bad my nails looked with that dress!)

But I did end up having a blast, and no one noticed the nails, or the bags under my eyes from crying my brains out!

One sister told me that she didn't even reconize me when I walked in... So maybe I did accomplish the "dazzle" look!

So that's my Cinderella Story... But you can guarantee that for next year's Ball, I'll be wearing that red dress, and I'll have a date!!!

LITP~Beth

diokete hupsala
Old 06-18-2002, 02:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Our chapter combined with another chapter for formal since we only have twelve members right now... we are building. They have seventy some-odd. Anyway, so they didn't tell us that they were going to have a slide show with pictures from the year. So all the pictures were of them. Then we had chapter awards for BOTH chapters. They went first, we were patient and waited and were pleasant about the whole thing... and they had a LOT of awards. So eventually it was our turn. And all of them, and their dates acted so rudely. They were all talking. Even with the mic, you could bearly hear us and only our chapter applauded for each award. I couldn't believe it!

There's more, but this takes the cake!

Last edited by PhiSigCoco; 06-18-2002 at 02:45 AM.
Old 06-19-2002, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to phisigbrookie
I mentioned this breifly in another post....but here's the whole story.

We were all dancing, having a great time, when I saw my friend Heather standing up on a chair at one of the tables. So I get this bright idea to give her a piggy back ride to the dance floor. (Both of us in our formal dressed, mind you). So I'm doing fine, when I feel her start to slip...then all of a sudden she crashes to the floor. I remember thinking "oh my gosh, I hope she's ok," before crashing to the ground myself. Well everyone just thought we were being silly, especially since Heather had just won the Phi Sig Geek of the Year Award. (She has a tendency to fall down alot.)

Well Heather got up...but I just kinda lied there. Then my friend Elena started yelling that my foot was sticking out funny. She said it looked like I had another leg growing out of my foot. (Gross, I know)

So, my date had to take me to the emergency room along with my lil sis and her date. So I get there at 11:00 PM and emerge at 4:00 AM the next morning with a dislocated toe and two broken bones in my foot. I was exhausted and in a lot of pain, but my awesome lil sis took me home and spent the night with me cause my parents were out of town. (and my date stayed with me in the hospital the entire time, whatta guy)

So that was my very memorable Sapphire Ball. I'm still in a cast and on crutches, but I should be back to normal by Convention.

Let's hope next year's is a little better.
Old 07-06-2002, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

OH MY GOODNESS that was you !! I'm from Delta Gamma...and I was on the dance floor when you fell.. we were all wondering if you were alright and how badly you had hurt yourself... well you're probably all healed by now. You probably know my Big sis she used to be in your chapter !
Old 07-08-2002, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to phisigbrookie
Is Suzanne your big sis?
She's a sweetie.
Anyways, I'm still not healed all the way. I have a cast on, but I am finally able to walk without crutches.
By the way, I will be at Convention with your Archon.
Old 07-09-2002, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah Suzanne is my big sis, she is wonderful, I miss her I haven't seen her all summer since I'm away !! WOW... I hope you get completely healed soon. Have fun at convention ! Blaire is the FUNNIEST girl! you will have fun with her
Old 07-10-2002, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Our formal (we call it a formal not a sapphire ball though I guess that is the proper name for it) was awesome. Everyone had a blast. I bought the most gorgeous light purple dress, the kind where its a corset tank and then the skirt. I was lucky I had a date (i am almost positive that every single sister that went did). I went with my boyfriend (who I have been dating for over a year now) so I didnt have the worries of asking anyone. He got really nice and dressed up for the occasion too (nice to see him in something thats not a polo shirt, jeans, and sneakers). the music was really good. it was a beautiful place. the food was good too. afterwards we all went back to the house and chilled out. i had fun. but I am planning to have EVEN more fun next year now that I know what it is all about. (and I am not going to obesse so much about the dress, hair, nails. actually for this year one of my fave sisters theresa did my hair and she did a terrific job considering it was 85 degrees and 100% humidy outside). Next year I think I will wear my high school prom dress and get my hair done by a sister again (hopefully the weather will be better). I am glad everyone seems to have had a good time at theres too. By the way sapphiresphinx I would have KILLED the lady who made your dress. But at least you have an awesome dress to wear for next year!